Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Serena blew her top off !

No, this is not Serena Williams taking her clothes off if that's what you think.

Well, I just watched the U.S. Open awhile ago. the match between Serena and Kim C. anyone else saw what happened during that match?

Man, I was so disgusted the way Serena acted. if I were part of the crowd, I would had thrown tennis balls at her.

09-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Saw that afterwards she said her idol was John McEnroe...

The more I see of professional sportspeople, the less I like 'em.
09-13-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
emr

So, what happened in the match?
09-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Serena has no class whatsoever..... exact opposite of her sister Venus, who carries & conducts herself with dignity at all times. I can't stomach her. I think after the incident was over (seemingly apparent by her post match jovial demeanor) she was glad it happened..... it gives her an excuse for a match she was losing anyway.

09-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
So, what happened in the match?
Kim Clijsters (sp?) was handning Serena fairly well, and Serena seemed out of sorts about it - she had broken a racket earlier, and also complained to the umpire on at least 2 occasions - maybe more, I dodn't see the whole match.

I believe Kim C. was 2 points away from match when Serena was called for a foot-fault. It was a dubious call - the replays I saw were inconclusive. Serena started yelling at the line judge. The line judge was called over to the umpire, explained things, then play was about to resume when Serena began to scream at her again. Allegedly, Serena cursed at her and said something about shoving the racket down her throat. At that point, the referee came onto the court, and the decision was reached to penalize Serena an additional point for unsportsmanlike conduct.

So, Serena was penalized 1 pt for foot-fault, and 1 pt for conduct, thus giving a bewildered Kim C. the match.

Kim was playing very well - she wasn't making many mistakes, struck hard, and had Serena running all over the court.
09-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
Inactive Account

If that's accurate, then she deserved whatever penalty she received.

I'm helping coach my son's soccer team and the one thing we impress on the kids at this age is sportsmanship; nothing is worse than to see professional sports people acting like 8 year olds...
09-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Didn't she, though?

09-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I never understood why Serena had so many fans, and this just confirmed my beliefs. Tennis is supposed to be a classy sport (no matter what the very rowdy fans in NY might believe). That sort of conduct, no matter how upset or frustrated you are, should never happen. She may be a pro because she's making big money and high in the rankings, but in my mind she's worse than many of the juniors I used to play with.

I saw some comments supporting Serena about how other sports (e.g. basketball) often let certain calls slide (like Jordan carrying the ball) and that the linesman should have let the foot fault slide. Sorry, but tennis is all about rules and ettiquette, so the linesman did her job perfectly well. Even Serena didn't argue about that in her post-match interview, which was naturally enough dominated by questions about her crazy on-court behavior.

Also, poor Clijsters was robbed of a full victory, so she should also be apologized to (which Serena sort of did), in addition to the linesman. Unfortunately, Serena gave no indication that she apologized to the linesman, which is another strike in my book.
09-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No dishing on Mac and Connors. Before they came along, watching tennis was akin to going to the ballet. Besides, 9 times out of 10, Mac was right.
09-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
Allegedly, Serena cursed at her and said something about shoving the racket down her throat.
Nothing alleged about it You can see clearly in the playback segment that Serena screamed the "F" word four times during her first outburst (which CBS bleeped out, but it's clear by watching her lips what she was screaming). I haven't yet seen clear footage of her second outburst, but since that was the one that sent the line judge to the court umpire, I assume it was at least as nasty.
09-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
If that's accurate, then she deserved whatever penalty she received.

I'm helping coach my son's soccer team and the one thing we impress on the kids at this age is sportsmanship; nothing is worse than to see professional sports people acting like 8 year olds...
No excuses intended by what I'm about to write - and I do and have done the same when coaching.

The amount of money and fame on the line makes all but those of the strongest moral charatcer debase themselves. Its the money. Its always the money.
09-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
I never understood why Serena had so many fans, and this just confirmed my beliefs. Tennis is supposed to be a classy sport (no matter what the very rowdy fans in NY might believe). That sort of conduct, no matter how upset or frustrated you are, should never happen. She may be a pro because she's making big money and high in the rankings, but in my mind she's worse than many of the juniors I used to play with.

I saw some comments supporting Serena about how other sports (e.g. basketball) often let certain calls slide (like Jordan carrying the ball) and that the linesman should have let the foot fault slide. Sorry, but tennis is all about rules and ettiquette, so the linesman did her job perfectly well. Even Serena didn't argue about that in her post-match interview, which was naturally enough dominated by questions about her crazy on-court behavior.

Also, poor Clijsters was robbed of a full victory, so she should also be apologized to (which Serena sort of did), in addition to the linesman. Unfortunately, Serena gave no indication that she apologized to the linesman, which is another strike in my book.

I for one do believe that Serena should offer a formal public apology to the line judge. watching on the replay, I could feel her helplessness and truly intimidated and scared of Serena. in her post-match interview, she was unapologetic, decline to answer questions and would rather say that she had no recollection of what she said which I say is BS. don't tell me that she got a temporary insanity that caused her to have temporary amnesia which is a common excuse for crimes committed.

another ridiculous thing is how some people defended Serena's actions where it is evident that she is in the wrong. saying nonsense or illogical things like people being racists, Serena has achieved so much and is the number 1 player and people envy her? (WTFH?), that it's normal for people to be outraged?

well, does that merit people to become abusive and disrespectful? now the most ridiculous excuse and example of an excuse that Serena pointed out is how McEnroe is her idol. which IMO, is nonsense.

I hope that she gets suspended.

excess, some people in the stands who were watching the match, disclosed that it was an ugly and nasty sight. the replays and videos did show all of it, probably because it was inappropriate and really nasty to be shown on tv.
09-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The amount of money and fame on the line makes all but those of the strongest moral charatcer debase themselves.
Then tennis must be chock full of players with strong moral character, as in the 40 years I've been watching tennis, I've never witnessed such a vicious, filthy, curse-laden attack as that one.
09-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
emr

That incidence is on YouTube but I can't figure out what she says.
09-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The amount of money and fame on the line makes all but those of the strongest moral charatcer debase themselves. Its the money. Its always the money.
I don't really agree...

Have you ever been to see youth play hockey? Have you seen parents behavior in the stands when their 10-12-14 year olds are on the ice?

The kids on the ice are generally well behaved, with some dirty tricks here and there to emulate their NHL heroes... if they don't get caught, they smile, if they get caught, then on to the penalty box to serve their time.

Parents in the stands on the other hand are vicious, they yell obscenities at their kids, other kids, coaches and refs. I've seen fights break out in the stands at a 10 year olds game. It got so bad here that many minor leagues have instituted "parent penalties", where their kids team gets a bench penalty for their parents misbehavior. Some arenas even hire security guards and off duty cops to eject rowdy parents during tournaments.

I can't speak for other sports as hockey is the only one I was involved with and have any interest in, but in my opinion what causes the incivilities in sports is probably the extreme level of competition, and not exclusively the money.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Pat