Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Should Spam sell up and switch to pentax?
Hell yes, cant believe you didnt hold out in the first place 3291.43%
No man, stick to what you've got (even though its C***n) 38.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2007, 05:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

The "Should I Sell Up and Switch to Pentax?" thread

Ok, I'm in the mood for a few somewhat "biased" opinions from the kind folk here.

I was originally looking to get the k10d at the end of last year, as a graduation present to myself. It would have also been my camera that i would have taken on the cruise i went on with some friends just after. But when it came time to drop the money, the k10 wasnt released and retailers had no clue when it was going to be, so i bought a canon 400d. Turns out i didnt even take that on the cruise so i would have been fine if i had waited a few more weeks (the k10 hit the shelves the week after i got back home)

So, ever since i have kind of regretted that decision. My current gear includes,

400d body with battery grip, el crappo kit lenses (18-55 and 75-300), 50mm f1.8, lens baby V2 and a set of extension tubes.

Should i sell that lot and throw in some more money to get this kit,

k10d, pentax 16-45 f4, tamron 28-75 f2.8, sigma 10-20 and the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM (when its released).

Please share your opinions, and maybe throw in a bit of humor, it is in the general talk forum after all.

05-23-2007, 06:24 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I'll trow in my two ören / cents for you to ponder very seriously on.

You probably know the differences between Pentax and Canon, and the differences between K10D and the 400D. The Pentax kit lens is held in higher esteem then the Canon. And looking at it, you plan to get a couple of very fine lenses to the Pentax. I think that is going to do more for your photography then the actual brand switch. Because in the end, the glass is one of the more important aspects to the actual photography (and you as a photog as well, of course! lets not forget that part...)

Nevertheless the K10D is in a higher catagory then the 400D, maybe more up against the Canon EOS 30D? I like Canon (don't shoot me people) haha But I would choose the K10D any day over the 400D. First and foremost because of the weather-sealing and shake reduction and hi-quality Pentax lenses.
05-23-2007, 06:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you like Canon ergonomics (although I'm hard pressed to see how you can) and you don't mind the tiny viewfinder and bad focus screen, then I say stay there. They have some really nice lenses (you won't hear too much about that here, though) and they have a fine upgrade path if you're into that.

Pentax has great ergonomics and makes some fine lenses, but doesn't have as full a suite of lenses/bodies/accessories as does Canon. While that's fine for me, it might not be the right path for everyone.

<humor>
Of course, you'll have to explain to everyone how you're not a mindless automaton if you stick with Canon.
</humor>

--Sean
05-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I have to agree with Sean. Even though you got the cheep junk kit lens Cannon does have some very good lenses (But you'll have to give an arm and a leg to get their good stuff) With the K10D I think you'll enjoy shooting more and with the kit you have outlined you will have the start of an outstanding lens collection.

With Cannon you'll have an empty wallet and a longer wish list. With Pentax you'll have the empty wallet but a shorter wish list and really great glass.

05-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #5

I sold my Canon 300D, kit lens, Tamron 28-300 and 420EX flash and bought a K10D with a Sigma 18-200 in February this year.

Not because I do not like Canon but the K10D offers so much more flexibility (if you like playing with ISO, f-stops and speed) without having to access menus. It also feels like a 'real' camera and offers fantastic value for the money - in the same league as the C. 30D or N. D200.

It would be easy/safe to buy Canon or Nikon, and I'm sure I would not have been disappointed, but having played with the others I just felt the K10D had that 'something' extra. Also nice to have that famous name on the camera.

Anyway who wants to be the same as the masses.....
05-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the opinions guys

Ive all but posted the for sale ad, although i realise now that i will have to stick with some of my M lenses for a while after getting the k10 and 16-45
05-24-2007, 06:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

im with the others, sell off the canon stuff and get a k10d

05-24-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spam, you should stay with the dark side. Just think, you can now be just like a whole bunch of other people! I say "Be one of the crowd!" Buy Canon®! Cameras! Printers! Calculators! Copy machines! Not sure they make bicycles yet, but those too! And from biased reviews from sites like DPR you can rest assured that you've bought the most perfect camera avaliable. So what if none of the bodies are backwards compatible. You want to be one of the IN CROWD don't you? Well the IN CROWD always buy new! Who cares about IQ? Your lens is NEW! None of those old fashioned, sharp-as-a-tack lenses that cost 1/4 what you paid! Your lens is new! And it's got usm focus, anti shake and a bright shiny white paint job! And it cost enough so that you had to put a lien on your auto! What fun! And you are just like 254,376,823 other people! What fun!

NaCl(on the other hand you could go with Pentax and enjoy inexpensive lenses that are ALL anti shake)H2O
05-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Even though you got the cheep junk kit lens Cannon does have some very good lenses (But you'll have to give an arm and a leg to get their good stuff)

I think you should base your decision on the available glass. Research the lenses that Canon and Pentax make, rate which lenses are the best quality for the prices you are willing to pay. Canon offers good glass but at a premium. If the Pentax glass offers what you need and you are more pleased with the price, make your switch now before it is too late!
05-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Hey -spam- I know how you feel. I have a K10D w/kit lens, Sigma 135-400mm, FA50MM /1.4, Tamron 28-105mm, and FA 75-300mm. Most of what I shoot is sports, which makes Canon a better choice for me. Sometimes I still kick myself for not buying a Canon from the start. But then I remind myself that I bought what my budget would allow, the options my K10 has that the Canon doesn't (in camera SR), and of course the cost of lenses for Pentax vice Canon. Although Canon would probably be better for what I shoot, I'm very satisfied with the K10D. My fps isn't as fast, but that just means I have to be more selective at the time I decide to release the shutter.

I shot a track & field event last weekend (again this weekend) and was standing next to another photographer using a Mark II. When he released the shutter it sounded like a machine gun. Talk about camera envy when it comes to fps!!! But after I got home and looked at my images, I was VERY satisfied with what I captured. I didn't get the sequence he did, but I still got the shot. And I guarantee it's just as good as what he captured with his $3000 Mark II (if not better). My point is, if it works for you and you like what it produces, keep it. The camera doesn't take the picture, it just records it! Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
05-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
k10d, pentax 16-45 f4, tamron 28-75 f2.8, sigma 10-20 and the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM (when its released).
One thing about the Sigma 70-200 - that'll be the new Macro version, it's a new focal design (the old non-macro was 17 elements in 14 groups, the macro 18 in 15) and isn't as sharp as the non-macro version according to a couple of reviews on fredmiranda.com: Specialized in digital cameras, photoshop actions, and digital darkroom. Why Sigma wants to stick bloody macro tags on everything, when (on this lens) it's only getting a 1:3.5 magnification anyway...
05-26-2007, 12:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
One thing about the Sigma 70-200 - that'll be the new Macro version, it's a new focal design (the old non-macro was 17 elements in 14 groups, the macro 18 in 15) and isn't as sharp as the non-macro version according to a couple of reviews on fredmiranda.com: Specialized in digital cameras, photoshop actions, and digital darkroom. Why Sigma wants to stick bloody macro tags on everything, when (on this lens) it's only getting a 1:3.5 magnification anyway...
Thats alright, i can honestly live with a little loss of sharpness.

Thanks again everyone for your replies, now im just waiting for someone to take the 400d kit off me so i can go out and drop the money on a k10d
05-26-2007, 01:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Keep the canon stuff as you seem reluctant to sell them.

I kept most of my L lenses just for a rainy day. Sometimes I do go back to canon lens for a change of mind. If you could afford to keep canon lenses and get new pentax gear, there is nothing wrong keeping it.
Cheers
05-28-2007, 11:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I kept most of my L lenses just for a rainy day. Sometimes I do go back to canon lens for a change of mind. If you could afford to keep canon lenses and get new pentax gear, there is nothing wrong keeping it.
Cheers
My dad suggested that to me as well, but the thing is i just cant afford to have both. Basically, the sale of the 400d and the 2 kit lenses is funding the k10 body and then the profits from the battery grip and other lenses and accessories will be going with money i had put away to get a 16-45 and maybe something else.
05-29-2007, 01:11 AM   #15

You know what I realy don't like about Pentax? Lenses are expensive and hard to get. It's fantastic to use old m,k lenses, but new and used FAs, DAs, Fs are damn expensive.
Everyone around use c*non and I could get used c*non lenses any time for much cheaper price. I'm not even going to talk about star lenses, dalay and possible prices.
I don't regret going for Pentax, but if I had to start from zero, I'd think much longer.