Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
High Dynamic Range

The old fashion way...

This antique photo on Shorpy just blew me away.

Monstera: 1945 | Shorpy Historic Photo Archive

I was impressed at the range of the film being used. The windows would be completely blown out with a dSLR. I doubt that they dodged the windows during enlarging, it would be pretty hard to work around the plant.

Pat

09-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very little shadow on the exterior, suggesting that the exterior building faces were in the shade which would bring the required exposure for them somewhat closer to what was needed for the interior. Even taking that possibility into account, it is pretty damned impressive.
09-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know, we had a thread that went into some of this, (it was nominally about someone wanting to hack an older digital to replicate the look of older films and plates. Don't know how the attempt may have turned out, but there was a lot of neat information there. )

I've always meant to really study up on old-old photographic techniques: seems I'm always coming across related stuff/people with questions/archival problems.