Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What have I been missing?

I finally decided to get a full frame camera todayder is (although I won't say what it is yet).
So the first thing I did was snap on a 35mm prime.
It didn't take long to notice how wide a 35mm lens actually is.
Then when it came to DOF I was truly amazed by what I saw through the view finder.
I think I'm going to like this new camera.

Now I'm really hoping that both Pentax and Sigma start producing their own Full Frame DSLR's. If I could afford it I'd buy their first one out.

I still have all my screwmount lenses, so with an M42 adapter I have a nice little system for a very reasonable price.

I'm a little too busy to go out for photos, however I'll hopefully have something to post on Sunday

09-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've owned a FF Pentax for over 30 years. It called a Spotmatic.
09-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It looks like we have a wet weekend, so I may as well spill the beans... since I won't be able to get out shooting after work
I had a Pentax PZ-20 pretty much given to me. So I Now have a Full Frame Pentax.
Yes I've had Pentax SLR's before, however that was before I knew the difference between lenses. So I had no way tp appriciate what I had back then

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I've owned a FF Pentax for over 30 years. It called a Spotmatic.
I was actually looking for a Spotmatic, or a K1000. However there's a good highschool Photography course here, where the students require a completely manual camera. They either put a hold on, or bought out every manual film camera in town months ago.
So I was SOL.

On a related topic,
If any Canadians here has a manual film SLR (no cheat modes allowed) they'd like to part with, for a worthy cause (for a reasonable price of course) please let me know.
My boss is still looking for a couple more for the students, so i can pass the word onto him.
09-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Full frame Pentax indeed (Actually saw a PZ-20 ad circa 1995 the other day in Outdoor Photographer.)

I have a Spot SP I'm going to be selling this weekend once I put new light seals in it. Unfortunately, shipping to Canada would be fairly expensive and I can't afford to give it away even though I strongly believe in the photo education cause and help my friend's wife with her photo stuff when I can...

09-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wish that I could afford it Ryan,
it sounds like just what I wanted.
lots of luck with the sale
09-24-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I finally had a chance to develop a couple of photographs today.
However it was nuts at the office, so I didn't have a chance for the high res scans I'd usually do.
These were all scanned at home on my cheap (and dirty) flatbed

They were all taken with an inexpensive roll of Kodak Gold film. Which really isn't bad film for the price, however I'll most likely only use pro film from this point on.

I had my Super Tak 35mm f2.0 for these first 2.

And here's a photo, of my very dirty car using my Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 200mm F2.8

So far I can't complain about it. The true test will be next week when I get a roll of Fuji Velvia back from the lab (we can't develop slide film) plus I have a roll of Kodak Portra loaded and ready for tomorrow mornings shooting.

I'm hoping on trying as many films as possible, to see which one suites my style the best.
09-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I finally had a chance to develop a couple of photographs today.
However it was nuts at the office, so I didn't have a chance for the high res scans I'd usually do.
These were all scanned at home on my cheap (and dirty) flatbed

They were all taken with an inexpensive roll of Kodak Gold film. Which really isn't bad film for the price, however I'll most likely only use pro film from this point on.

I'm hoping on trying as many films as possible, to see which one suites my style the best.
It looks like there's a lot of fun stuff out there. I mostly use the digital for any color work, these days, cause that's the 'second body' ....have kept my film use mostly to black and white or whatever Fuji for a very long time, so I don't have much if any personal experience with the newer stuff, but the Portra actual-portrait stuff looks interesting and maybe along the lines of my taste.

I also really like what I've seen here of some work with Ultramax 400 that you can get in stores. Kind of cause it's almost the *opposite* of what I always preferred, but has a pretty cool look, almost '3d' and the novelty appeals.
09-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #8

i haven't seen ultramax 400 in over a year locally, where are you from?