09-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
This is a quiz.
I got 8 of 10
Huh! What a strange test! 8/11
09-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Banned

6/11. my world etiquette could use some work apparently.
09-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
graphicgr8s

10-10

10c

09-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That was fun! I sent it on.
09-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah well. I guess I should just stick around Burger King.
09-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
10-10

10c
My test was out of 11 not 10. Weird.

I got 7 out of 11.

I shouldn't eat in Europe.

Ok, I won't!

09-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
BPT
Veteran Member

10/11 since I got poland wrong. Apparently I am a very good guesser since I really only knew a few and took semi educated guesses for the others
09-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
My test was out of 11 not 10. Weird.

I got 7 out of 11.

I shouldn't eat in Europe.

Ok, I won't!
I took it. Got em right. Got interrupted. Forgot how many questions by the time I got back. Looked at the original post and thought there was 10. So 11-11
09-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
Inactive Account

First question:

Do Chinese mothers make kids eat everything on their plate?

Mine bloody well did. Hates waste. When her non-Chinese boyfriend's* (bratty) kids wasted food, she tended to go mildly ballistic. I was with her, as often times it was I who cooked the food.

If you're left handed, and your Iranian host gives you a right-handed fork...what should you do?

The answer they give is technically correct, but for the wrong (stupid) reason.

I got 9/11.

*I'm supposed to say "partner" because it sounds more, I dunno, classy in Mum's opinion. But then, every time I have called him her partner, people start thinking she's in a law firm, in business with him, or a cop.
09-20-2009, 01:50 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I took it. Got em right. Got interrupted. Forgot how many questions by the time I got back. Looked at the original post and thought there was 10. So 11-11
I remain impressed.
09-20-2009, 03:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
First question:

Do Chinese mothers make kids eat everything on their plate?

Mine bloody well did. Hates waste. When her non-Chinese boyfriend's* (bratty) kids wasted food, she tended to go mildly ballistic. I was with her, as often times it was I who cooked the food.
I have to ask if you're familiar with the tendency for mothers decades ago to tell them children to eat all their food because there are starving children in China.

That a child in the US eating all of the food on their plate would have zero effect on how much food a child in China got seems never to have occurred to them.
09-20-2009, 04:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I have to ask if you're familiar with the tendency for mothers decades ago to tell them children to eat all their food because there are starving children in China.

That a child in the US eating all of the food on their plate would have zero effect on how much food a child in China got seems never to have occurred to them.
I think people who went through hardship and the experience of war are mindful of not wasting food because their experiences leave an indelible mark in their lives. Certainly this is true of my deceased parents and grandparents who endured the Japanese occupation during WWII when food was scarce. They also had relatives who died from starvation in China. Years back I met a old gentleman living in Kazakhstan who was a victim of Stalin's Gulags. For the 12 years or so he was interned, not having enough to eat and feeling hungry was a daily affair. The same picture is true for the millions of poor living in slums all over the world.
09-20-2009, 04:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I think people who went through hardship and the experience of war are mindful of not wasting food because their experiences leave an indelible mark in their lives. Certainly this is true of my deceased parents and grandparents who endured the Japanese occupation during WWII when food was scarce. They also had relatives who died from starvation in China. Years back I met a old gentleman living in Kazakhstan who was a victim of Stalin's Gulags. For the 12 years or so he was interned, not having enough to eat and feeling hungry was a daily affair. The same picture is true for the millions of poor living in slums all over the world.
Quite true.

But what I was really wondering about was if he was aware the wording of the first question was inspired by sincere words from sincere mothers, overused to the point that it became a sort of very broadly known inside joke. What they would have called a "meme", had anyone back then known what the heck a meme was.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 09-20-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo
09-20-2009, 04:53 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

Of course, the obvious retorts to the "starving children" are "so send 'em this" or "Yes! Let's rub the little bastards' faces in it and show them how well off we are by gorging ourselves!"

Down here, it was more "Africa" instead of "China", which leads to a good scene in Morris Gleitzman's The Other Facts of Life, where the roles are reversed: it's the kid who complains to his mother that they're wasting too much food.

I never got it, either. Like how eating crusts will make your hair curly. Not only is that illogical, but I couldn't help wondering who the hell would want curly hair.