Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Atlanta washing away

Well, things got wet here. Came back to town yesterday and it's been raining like crazy. Going to work this morning a few roads were flooded. Coming back from work all roads but one leading here were flooded. Got back to my buddy's house and the Yellow River had gone from 40' wide or so here to around 300' and has so far consumed about half his backyard. One road we were trying to take home was a LAKE -- we could see the top of the roof of the daycare, and the tops of a few road signs.

Crazy times. And the rain keeps coming.

09-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Friggin' brutal. How long has it been raining now? There is such thing as too much of a good thing. I had to trench away from my house after work this evening because I had 6 inches of water in the crawl space in one corner.
09-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just caught the news as it came on, Geaux. My once-to-be-darkroom flooded *again,* but I didn't realize this kind of rain was *that* big a deal down here.

Everyone OK over there, apart from you're obviously online?
09-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a bummer. Wearing the T-Shirt as I type - from a St. Louis suburb, where I have sandbagged my downtown - and thunder is rattling my windows.

09-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, to be honest, it's F'n atlanta. Floods in the middle of record droughts. Too much pavement. Seen the water run away from a fourteen-foot-low Lake Lanier, myself.

I will mention, by the way, that they got like eighteen inches (as of?) today in certain pockets, I've just found. That's a lot by any standards.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-21-2009 at 08:32 PM.
09-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Lake Lanier is an odd thing these days. I was at home in December when it had hit it's record low...was home 4 months later when it was only 5 feet down. Now its approaching full pool thanks to the heavy rains. Who knows what next year holds?
09-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

For those who don't know, here's some data:

WaterWatch -- Maps and graphs of current water resources conditions

Brought to you by your friendly federal employees at the US Geological Survey, by the way. Along with the folks over at NOAA, NWS, and others.

Jim

09-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
Banned

I have been hearing about the flooding in Atlanta, bright and sunny here....
09-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I went from weeks of lovely 80 degree days with blue skies to this.... going back tomorrow though.
09-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Lake Lanier is an odd thing these days. I was at home in December when it had hit it's record low...was home 4 months later when it was only 5 feet down. Now its approaching full pool thanks to the heavy rains. Who knows what next year holds?
Yeah, ... though I have the impression that system won't actually overflow any time soon, it's pretty remarkable I guess it took a while even with some rains to start actually coming back up very well, between letting water out for the lakes downstream and probably the groundwater, but it looks like even if drought were to return, there's another couple of years of buffer-before-crisis for Atlanta, right there, if the water use doesn't start going back up, anyway.
09-23-2009, 07:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey, how's everyone doing over there, anyway? I've been a bit worried, and it's been hard to get much detail out of the local news as the water kept flowing in.
09-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Yellow River is down a good 5 feet or so, which is what mainly affected where I'm staying. Most roads seem to have cleared up, other than the ones that had actual damage rather than just flooding.
09-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
The Yellow River is down a good 5 feet or so, which is what mainly affected where I'm staying. Most roads seem to have cleared up, other than the ones that had actual damage rather than just flooding.
Well, that's good. I'm still worried about Geauxpez: I heard the water was still rising in places as all that watershed below the lakes kept running off, as of last we heard from him. What I did see on the news made me wish I had one of those little Boston Whalers to cart over there.
09-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
He was posting late last night and the rain stopped during the day yesterday so I'm sure he's ok. :-)
09-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
He was posting late last night and the rain stopped during the day yesterday so I'm sure he's ok. :-)
Ah, that's good. Now that I think of it, I could possibly have snooped more deliberately.

Still analog at heart, I guess.