Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm peed off a bad parents (my rant for the year)

While working in a photo lab I have to shoot passport photographs. Which for the most part I enjoy. It's kinda fun making someone look as good or bad as you want them to look, and if they don't like it then blame the government saying your just following their rules

However once a week or so we'll get some parent bringing in their children at the worst possible time.

Tonight I had some shall I say Genius, whom brought his 9 month old in AFTER his childs bed time. Somehow I was somehow supposed to get his kid to shut his mouth, and stop crying long enough to take the photo.
When I asked him if there's a better time we could take the photo he actually said this is the worst time for the child... However he had put the photo off until the night before his trip

I somehow managed to get a shot, which should pass all their requirements. However the poor child has the worst passport photo I've ever taken, all due to his fathers ignorance.

After the experience I suddenly don't want to have a child of my own
Since a wonderful woman and myself were thinking of having a child together I'm thinking that I've just discovered a new form of birth control.

09-24-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

ah, what a headache! I wonder how she was planning on traveling via passport the next day when it usually takes weeks to get one made up. I would have called her bullshit on that one!

Jas
09-24-2009, 03:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've taken my babies passport photo as well as taken her to a photo lab. the 1st time, she was only 3 months old and fell asleep right when the photo was about to be taken and wouldn't wake up, very funny indeed. The 2nd time at a different lab when she was 6 months was much easier and was happy to pose for the staff. But I agree, the day before a trip and after the baby woke up is silly for sure.
09-24-2009, 04:38 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stu, it happens.
As a parent, it's my responsibility to understand the needs of my children, as far as I am able to perceive and gather from my children's expressions. It does not always work, but on the whole, the kids are doing alright with relatively little distress from my wife's and my own point of view.

The joy of having children shouldn't be judged on the bad experiences of other parents and their children. If you want a child, Stu, discuss it with your better half and talk about your aspirations and desires in childrearing, ensuring you are both consistent.

For a comical read, give Bill Cosby's book 'Fatherhood' a go - it'll make you think realistically at the good and not so good about parenthood.

09-24-2009, 04:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The best passsport photo EVER

Maybe this will cheer you up (not taken by me--my job was to stick out my tongue at the right moment ;~)
Attached Images

09-24-2009, 05:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nine months old? Was it a white child? If so, just paste in a photo of Winston Churchill and call it a day.
09-24-2009, 06:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On my way to bed, and just after I wrote my rant I remembered my best experience at work just happened on Sunday right before my weekend.
When a really nice Asian lady brought her 5 year old son in for his passport photo.
Like all Asian children I've met he was really well behaved, although a little more ambitious than most.
When I sat down at the computer after taking the photo is was a pleasure having him join me for a short visit before I even had a chance to work on it.
He then gave me the nicest hug before him and his mom left.

It really doesn't take much to bring a smile to this face, usually just a nice kid.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
ah, what a headache! I wonder how she was planning on traveling via passport the next day when it usually takes weeks to get one made up. I would have called her bullshit on that one!

Jas
I sure thought that he was BS'ing Jas, however I try not to judge people until I have a chance to observe them

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
I've taken my babies passport photo as well as taken her to a photo lab. the 1st time, she was only 3 months old and fell asleep right when the photo was about to be taken and wouldn't wake up, very funny indeed. The 2nd time at a different lab when she was 6 months was much easier and was happy to pose for the staff. But I agree, the day before a trip and after the baby woke up is silly for sure.
That's what I call good parenthood.
I honestly don't mind children falling asleep, talking, making faces at me, or most things like that. It's all part of them being a child, which oddly enough I was once.
I've found that most good parents do like you did and just take their children back at a better time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Stu, it happens.
As a parent, it's my responsibility to understand the needs of my children, as far as I am able to perceive and gather from my children's expressions. It does not always work, but on the whole, the kids are doing alright with relatively little distress from my wife's and my own point of view.

The joy of having children shouldn't be judged on the bad experiences of other parents and their children. If you want a child, Stu, discuss it with your better half and talk about your aspirations and desires in childrearing, ensuring you are both consistent.

For a comical read, give Bill Cosby's book 'Fatherhood' a go - it'll make you think realistically at the good and not so good about parenthood.
Thanks Ash,
The woman that I've been talking to about having a child with is just a friend, so it may or may not happen.
We both know that we'll never make a good couple, however we'd both make good parents and remain as good friends.
Plus we have a very good idea what our child would be like, and we both love what we see

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Maybe this will cheer you up (not taken by me--my job was to stick out my tongue at the right moment ;~)
Thanks dadipentak,
Your right, that is what I like to see

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Nine months old? Was it a white child? If so, just paste in a photo of Winston Churchill and call it a day.
Thanks for the good laugh Mike

I'm up early to blow off a roll of film in Vernon, then see a friend I haven't seen in way too long.
With a little luck I'll have the chance to see her children for a short visit as well.
Her daughter is the one I gave my K100D, and a few lenses to... So I know that I'll see a nice smile from her.
I just wish that Vanessa could join me for the shoot, but she isn't a morning person

09-24-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
graphicgr8s

I am posting this so you can bask in my new avatar.
09-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I am posting this so you can bask in my new avatar.
Churchill?
09-24-2009, 07:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Being pee'd off is better than being pee'd on Stu... That parent was an idiot though. I've have given him a photo of the screaming child and let them both live with it till the passport ran out.

Mike
09-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Being pee'd off is better than being pee'd on Stu... That parent was an idiot though. I've have given him a photo of the screaming child and let them both live with it till the passport ran out.

Mike
After raising 3 kids and then having grandkids around, that happened more often than I care to remember.

It kind of makes me wonder about some parents though, bringing a kid in for a passport photo the night before the trip. You don't plan trips that require passports on the spur of the moment. Being a parent is one of those learn as you go jobs. Hopefully this is the guys first kid and he learned something from the experience.

Looking back I can say that having a family has been a great experience. There have been a lot of days dealing with a cranky kid but those times are few overall and remain pretty much forgotten until someone opens up a cranky kid thread.
09-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

I hate to chime in on these things but as a parent I have to chime in. I find it rather, um, I hate to say offensive, because a milder word would be better, but maybe that, to be judged as a parent by people who have not had the parenting experience themselves. It's so very very easy to judge people as good or bad parents based on say a 10 minute encounter with them, then go around talking about what bad parents they are.

What is the saying? Don't judge a man until you've walked 100 miles in his mocassins?

This isn't just for the OP but for everyone who feels tempted to do this. I get it at work all the time from the childless staff members who complain about the lousy parenting of the patrons in the library where I work. Granted some of it IS lousy parenting, but some of it is just a no-win situation or a kid just plain having a bad day. It happens.

Bad judgment? Absolutely. But to say bad parenting?
09-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good point, Mel!
09-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And indeed every child is different and have their own challenges for parents to have to deal with. I have been blessed with 2 girls who are amazingly obedient (although at times it requires me to be stern with them) and very well behaved. When my son comes along, both my wife and I know he will be completely different and may even test our patience and disciplinary techniques.

Imagine then what a couple of well-meaning parents have to put up with having a more troublesome child to raise. Sure, the majority of behavioural problems are actually instilled by the abscence of parental discipline and guidance, and I make an effort to inform parents of difficult children I see of the problem that causes, but it's not something to generalise.
09-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Touche Mel Good point. Perhaps calling the guy an "idiot" was uncalled for without having more facts. He was, however, very inconsiderate, of both his own child and of Stu.

Mike