Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Movie endings / plot twists you did not see comming ..

Take a break from all the Politics and partake in this frivolous thread

There have been a few for me with surprise endings , plot twists that I did not see coming but the one that will always remain with me was Paul Newman , Robert Redford , Robert Shaw and cast in The Sting.

Those that have seen the movie will likely know the scene I am talking about (towards the very end) I will try not to spoil it in case others want to rent this movie (it is still one of my top 10 ever movies)

Part of that is probably I was a young teenager but I have not felt like that (I remember being upset , thinking what a cop out for the plot ) for any other movie since.

You got any?

09-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

One of my favorites is "The Usual Suspects" and the final few minutes of the film when everything comes together and for me the first time I watched, very unexpected....and sort of spooky!

Jason
09-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

Arlington road?
09-30-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Not Registered

I like all the movies mentioned here (althought I dont remember exactly the ending of Arlington Road). In general terms, I like unexpected twists only when the plot has been set up properly. I hate random endings when a new character that has never been mentioned or hinted in the rest of the movie holds the key of the plot. That it is about as cheap as it gets.

It is not a movie but The Sopranos is a handbook of unexpected twists. They play with your expectances and stereotypes continously. They start by neutralizing your predictions by setting up several potential plots that can be key for the season/s and getting rid of some juicy and striking posibilities. Exactly the opposite that another TV shows where you see the things coming from a mile.

09-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I like all the movies mentioned here (althought I dont remember exactly the ending of Arlington Road). In general terms, I like unexpected twists only when the plot has been set up properly. I hate random endings when a new character that has never been mentioned or hinted in the rest of the movie holds the key of the plot. That it is about as cheap as it gets.
hehe how can you not remember the ending that was the whole thing, I remember that movie because of the ending.

One thing I hate is when someone makes a very mysterious movie with lots of strange things that make you wonder and then they just end it without giving any answers, what a cheap way to get out of it. Its like a writer creating a murder novel and the plot gets more and more complex and he wonders how can he end it well without leaving any loose threads but decides he cant and just makes it an open ending instead "make up your own ending".
09-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a movie, but a TV series... Newhart...

I laughed my a$$ off when Bob Newhart woke up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette on the set of the old "Bob Newhart Show, and told her he'd been dreaming he was an innkeeper in Vermont.

Priceless!!!

Mike
09-30-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
and
Veteran Member

oh I got another one, "old" one from 1991 and not that famous but I thought the twists were really good, its called Shattered, directed by Wolfgang Petersen

09-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #8

1987 "No Way Out" with Kevin Costner, Sean Young and Gene Hackman.
I had to watch the ending a few times to really grasp what happened.
Also, one of Costners better movies.

Last edited by Driver3; 09-30-2009 at 10:12 AM.
09-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool bring back some memories

I had an feeling about Kaiser Sosey

Arlington Road I am sure I have seen it but does not ring a bell

The Bob Newhart show that was a great play on the "Dallas" series.

Agree with Gruoso I never saw one episode of the Sopranos while it was on in prime time, then I received the 6 season DVD set for xmas - watched it almost daily was a great series my favorite from HBO. - Now this is the way we generally watch series (6 feet under, Dexter and Weeds so far like them all)

Never heard of Shattered will have to check it out ....

No Way Out is another great example that caught me as well.
09-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Inactive Account

People, I am desperately ashamed to say that the only one I can remember that hasn't been mentioned yet is Samuel L. getting devoured mid-monologue in Deep Blue Sea.

Surprising, indeed, that they'd kill off the only star.
09-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driver3 Quote
1987 "No Way Out" with Kevin Costner, Sean Young and Gene Hackman.
That's the movie I immediately thought about when I saw this thread. I never in a million years saw it coming...
09-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
People, I am desperately ashamed to say that the only one I can remember that hasn't been mentioned yet is Samuel L. getting devoured mid-monologue in Deep Blue Sea.
Surprising, indeed, that they'd kill off the only star.
That by far was my favorite part of that movie and yep totally unexpected - the Kids use to watch that movie over and over and over
09-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although not of the higher quality of the movies already mentioned (and also some of my favorites) but a classic nonetheless, was the final scene in the origional "Night of the Living Dead" when the hero meets his rescuers.
09-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
hehe how can you not remember the ending that was the whole thing, I remember that movie because of the ending.
I am sorry but my problem is that I confounding that movie with Midnight in the garden of good and evil. I have seem most of the movies in Spain and they change the titles continuously. Actually after making a search I have realized that I havent watched that movie, which it is something that i have to solve soon
09-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Actually after making a search I have realized that I havent watched that movie, which it is something that i have to solve soon
aha then that explains it

of the two I mentioned, I think Shattered is the better movie tho. But Arlington Road had a real surprise ending so it fitted the topic well