Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Does it really provide an economic benefit though? Tampa tried for the 2012 olympics. They spent a few hundred thousand to apply. When all was said and done and we didn't get it they released some numbers and it turns out it really would have cost more than it would have brought in revenue wise.
It certainly has for Sydney - can't speak for other Olympic host cities.
It cost not only the govt but many large corporate bodies millions, but the revenue not only paid itself back the local companies made international links that brought further investment and long-term clientelle - that's a lasting Olympic legacy!

09-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remember it's all about the Obama.

Side note. He was at the UN talking about how bad we were. He goes around apologizing. So why isn't he talking about the help America has sent to the earthquake/sunami victims?
Obama can't do anything right by you, graphics.
Come on, the antagonism is not very becoming.
He ain't perfect, but who is?
We all think we can do a better job than him (OK not me, but 'we' collectively) but we've never played the politics game to know any better...
09-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #18
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Obama can't do anything right by you, graphics.
Come on, the antagonism is not very becoming.
He ain't perfect, but who is?
We all think we can do a better job than him (OK not me, but 'we' collectively) but we've never played the politics game to know any better...
Actually I did praise him one time here on the forum. When he went and visited the troops.

Ash, remember his beliefs and policies are 180 degrees from mine. And any other sane person. He is after all a Marxist and pretty much wants to destroy life as we Americans know it. The bad and the good.
09-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The Olympics were definitely a huge boost for SLC a few years back.

10-01-2009, 03:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So with everything going on why is the Obama in Copenhagen trying to get Chicago the olympics? Has he nothing better to do? Do other sitting presidents do this? Is this really a president's job?
Funny, I don't remember seeing you bashing Dubya for spending 4 days in Bejing last year. Ya know, you seem to be an educated individual, but you are sure full of hate and discontent + a load of BS.
10-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #21
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Funny, I don't remember seeing you bashing Dubya for spending 4 days in Bejing last year. Ya know, you seem to be an educated individual, but you are sure full of hate and discontent + a load of BS.
There is a big difference between attending the olympics and trying to get them in Chicago. I fully expect the Obama to be at the next one. Where ever it is. And I probably won't make any comment about him being there either. That is something he should be doing. And just to appease you I may even make a nice comment about it. Maybe. I doubt it. I don't particularly care about the olympics. But I won't say anything negative either. Well not about his being there anyway.
10-01-2009, 08:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

When the 2012 Olympics were up for grabs Tony Blair went over and campaigned for them, this was said to make a big difference. Your president is already an international icon and having him there won't hurt your chances in the least. If the finances are handled properly getting the olympics is a real boost to both the local economy and international profile. It's created a nice buzz in Britain and I'm certainly going to be there in the stadiums in 2012.

10-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #23
Veteran Member

There is a big difference between attending the olympics and trying to get them in Chicago. I fully expect the Obama to be at the next one. Where ever it is. And I probably won't make any comment about him being there either. That is something he should be doing. And just to appease you I may even make a nice comment about it. Maybe. I doubt it. I don't particularly care about the olympics. But I won't say anything negative either. Well not about his being there anyway.
So let me get this straight... as the president it's ok to take a vacation to watch the Olympics, but it's not ok to campaign to bring them to one's own country?
10-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #24
Forum Member

lol, it's not like he's there for multiple days either. As I've heard he's only flying in on Friday for the final presentation.
10-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #25
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
So let me get this straight... as the president it's ok to take a vacation to watch the Olympics, but it's not ok to campaign to bring them to one's own country?
I really doubt you would call that a vacation. Maybe a working vacation. More work than vacation.

And that's bipartisan. I think the President needs to be at this type of thing. I just don't think he needs to be soliciting the olympic committee is all.

I have a feeling the decision has already been made though.
10-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

And any other sane person. He is after all a Marxist and pretty much wants to destroy life as we Americans know it.
If this is tongue-in-cheek hyperbole, I get it. If this is what you really believe, how could anyone ever take you seriously?
10-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

i think if blair did not get into london's efforts, obama might not get into this round. i think moves like blair's have changed the bidding landscape.

i expect leaders, heads of state etc to be present at any olympics--its a big deal. not knocking bush for being in china, clinton opened the atlanta games, not sure what involvement was for the POTUS in SLC. but no doubt there was some.

i don't believe reagan got involved in the pitch for atlanta, and i think SLC would have been won under either bush 1's term, or clinton's first. not sure either of them got involved, and honestly, they should not. the decision should not require a presidential presence--endorsement sure, presence no. it's not a matter of anything critical to what happens in America (and yes, if this was a republican president, or if ever i'd heard of bush or any predecessors doing it, i'd be less than thrilled).

not that obama would admit to it but i really believe if this was any of the other cities who'd pushed for 2016 (ny, philly, san fran and i think dallas or san antonio come to mind)....i'd bet he wouldn't be as concerned or interested, if at all. its his ties to chicago that are having him do this. maybe my opinion, but it isnt flawed logic to arrive at that point...

i doubt the decision has been made, since the votes haven't been cast (and to keep things in perspective, london barely made it through early rounds of voting, which is why it surprised a lot of people when they got the 2012 games). so you never know till the voting is done....

re: economic impact, i've heard some great things and not so great things. i think it was for albertville or lillehammer as an example, but i know some of these places pour tons of money in and might get a quick hit but beyond that, they end up with these buildings that sit hardly used. i think those examples may actually prove a different point tho---those 2 cities mentioned weren't exactly booming prior to the olympics, so its going to be harder to capitalize long-term. you look at other recent hosts-atlanta, salt lake city, sydney, beijing, vancouver etc, all are already major cities, so hosting the games is going to spur infrastructure growth/improvements/enhancements. the one challenge would be to make some venues more multi-use friendly, as certain olympic sports do not have massive followings compared to others.

i have a feeling it will be Rio getting the nod. i think that would be a pretty nice area to showcase for 2016 (i only got to visit sao paulo, but everyone i know who's been to rio raves about it).
10-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Rio or Tokyo would be excellent for sure.
10-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Has he nothing better to do? Do other sitting presidents do this? Is this really a president's job?
Hardly a vacation. Presidents are on call 24/7 and Air Force 1 is pretty much a flying office. He will e at least as productive as W was when at the ranch wacking weeds and HW Bush when he went fishing. Besides -- was Lincoln assassinated when he was at white house?
10-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #30
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Hardly a vacation. Presidents are on call 24/7 and Air Force 1 is pretty much a flying office. He will e at least as productive as W was when at the ranch wacking weeds and HW Bush when he went fishing. Besides -- was Lincoln assassinated when he was at white house?
Maybe you should go back and actually read this thread buddy.