Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fact is for the last few olympics heads of state HAVE been showing up to influence the IOC... and wether we like it or not, that is the new reality.

Mr. Obama had little choice but to show up to help pitch the American bid if Chicago is to have ANY chance of getting the games.

Pat

10-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Maybe you should go back and actually read this thread buddy.
Yeah, you're right -- I missed a couple of posts and my spelling sucks more than usual today. Gotta kick this cold.
10-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, they just announced: It's Rio. That ought to be quite an Olympics.

And, brr. Take care of that cold, Geaux. I seem to catch something every time the seasons change, but I can't believe I'm chilled at 65 degrees. Got all used to the heat.
10-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #34

And President Obama met with Gen. McChrystal on Afghanistan before he flew back.

10-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
. . . Besides -- was Lincoln assassinated when he was at white house?
Actually, no. It was at Ford's Theater. There has never been an assassination at the W.H. though there have been a few attempts. Fortunately, the Secret Service has improved since the attempt on Reagan. However, I don't know what that has to do with anything.
10-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #36
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Driver3 Quote
And President Obama met with Gen. McChrystal on Afghanistan before he flew back.
For all of 25 minutes. In the forward cabin of AF1

Chicago had the worst proposal of all.
10-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Rio... man I see a huge P A R T Y coming!!!!

Pat

10-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #38
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Rio... man I see a huge P A R T Y coming!!!!

Pat
And to think the crime rate is higher there than Chicago. I didn't think anyplace was higher than Chicago. They have more killings in a month there than in Iraq.
10-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, no. It was at Ford's Theater.
That was my point.

I haven't been terribly lucid the past day or two. 2 hours sleep last night & back at work today...
10-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #40
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Chicago was eliminated in the first round of voting. Just shows you what input from highly influential people can do.
10-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #41
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Chicago was eliminated in the first round of voting. Just shows you what input from highly influential people can do.
Why would the IOC want to come to a place where the President is always on a world apology tour?
10-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #42
Veteran Member

graphics: never misses a chance for an illogical and unrelated (not to mention factually inaccurate) slam on the President of the United States (as long as he's a liberal).
10-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #43
Veteran Member

rio and chicago were one-two based on strength of proposal heading in, but i had a hunch rio was going to grab it.....hoped they would, too.

FYI, anyone saying about all the world leaders now showing up...this was the FIRST time EVER a US President got involved in a pitch process. Bet it might be the last for a while too.

One comment I'd read/heard a few times was that while initially people thought obama's presence was impressive, IOC voters were ticked that he was in and out for a four hour quickie. Notice that the pitch is really a several-days long meeting, building up to the final presentation. I believe most other major heads of state were there for longer than 4 hours.

Chicago, despite having what appeared to be a solid bid (top 2 on paper) lost for a number of reasons. South America never hosting before didn't hurt. Salt Lake in 02 and Vancouver in 10 hurt Chicago, IMHO. that and how poorly the SLC and Atlanta events were percieved (planning issues, corruption etc). doesnt matter how big or how small the public sees those issues as being...rumblings had the IOC still with a bad taste in their mouths over those, and thats all it takes sometimes.

But rather than make any excuses, I was rooting for Rio, and Madrid would have been nice too. Even Tokyo, tho even the locals there weren't overly excited about the prospect (lowest of all cities the IOC polled, in terms of public desire to host the games). I think Rio will make an excellent host city and a very nice setting for the olympics.

Last edited by jmdeegan; 10-02-2009 at 08:17 PM.
10-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Rio will be a good venue. They have a tall order ahead of them getting their infrastructure up for such a huge event.
10-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #45
graphicgr8s

I had heard they had the worst proposal. If they had the number 2 they wouldn't have gotten knocked out in first round.