Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
graphicgr8s

Nice if you can get it.

So how many of you out there working part time jobs earned over $170,000? How many of you working full or part time got a $4700 raise this year? Actually how many got a raise at all?
Well our illustrious reps i government make that and got the raise. And it seems despite the efforts of Republican Sen. David Vitter, it looks like automatic Congressional pay raises, first instituted in 1989, are not going away anytime soon.
Are they really earning their keep? And why are they worth over $170,000 for the mess they create? Plus remember they make a lot more with their speaking gigs.

As for actors/actresses. Are they really worth the millions they make per movie or the $1000s they make per episode?

Lawyers bill out at $100s per hour. Do they deserve it? I mean the average Joe can't really afford a lawyer. The average Will will cost a bundle.Most couldn't afford it. We want to limit the amount doctors charge but not lawyers. Kind of strange that we will try to regulate the salary of those whose job it is to save lives yet give free rein to those who probably cause the stress that makes us see the doc in the first place.

The janitor who cleans the toilets and sweeps the floors. I mean over $6.00 per hour for sweeping the floors and cleaning toilets? Come on that's expensive.

Sports people. Are football players really worth all the millions they are paid? Are any sports players really worth the millions they are paid? After all it's just a game. And in the case of football and boxing can actually be detrimental to the players own health. Really, should we actually allow football to continue at all knowing that it may actually increase Alzheimer's? As may boxing. Waht about all the money that costs us. Why should we allow skydiving? That's another dangerous sport.

These are but a few occupations where people are grossly overpaid. So why do we complain about CEO's making millions while all these jobs also make a ton of money. Why doesn't anyone want to regulate these fields? And this is just a small sampling. Think about your own job. Are you really worth what they pay you? Shouldn't the Obama really set up limits as to how much you make also?

These are sometimes/most times the people complaining about CEOs making so much. How come they don't voluntarily give up part of their own salaries and lead by example?

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 09-30-2009 at 07:40 PM.
09-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No job to me, no matter how hard worked, is worth multiple millions of dollars.
A part-time $170k pails in comparison to many CEO salaries - that's partly why there's a lot of complaints floating around.

It's no different in Australia. So what if they head large companies with a large workforce? The disparity is far too great. Yes, even Aussie pollies have given themselves a pay rise too, arguing that it is in line with the rate of inflation and indexation (20%?!? who are they kidding?). Again, our PM earns just over $330k after the pay rise, which is a drop in the ocean for some corporate CEOs - how much harder do they have to work?

As for sports people - just like music and movies, entertainment sells, and therefore drives the entertainers' salaries up...
09-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
And it seems despite the efforts of Republican Sen. David Vitter, it looks like automatic Congressional pay raises, first instituted in 1989, are not going away anytime soon.
The members of parliament here have been granted a 3 % pay rise recently too despite the "Fair Pay Commission" rejecting a request by the ACTU to increase the minimum wage by $21 per week sighting the economic crisis and how it was impacting upon employers and employees.

What is Senator Vitter (or any others) that oppose the pay rises doing about it? In the past a couple of MPs here have refused the extra money or donated the extra money to charity.
09-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
A part-time $170k pails in comparison to many CEO salaries - that's partly why there's a lot of complaints floating around.

It's no different in Australia. So what if they head large companies with a large workforce? The disparity is far too great. Yes, even Aussie pollies have given themselves a pay rise too, arguing that it is in line with the rate of inflation and indexation (20%?!? who are they kidding?). Again, our PM earns just over $330k after the pay rise, which is a drop in the ocean for some corporate CEOs - how much harder do they have to work?

As for sports people - just like music and movies, entertainment sells, and therefore drives the entertainers' salaries up...
I think its rubbish when politicians compare there salaries to corporate executives and use that as justification for salary increases (they forget to mention all the other perks). Most of them aren't in it for the money anyway they want the power and to feed their egos.

09-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

Ash it may pale in comparison but they are public servants. Paid by taxpayers. Whereas CEOs are in the private sector. The anointed really shouldn't be making that much since they should be there to serve the interests of the general populace. Plus they can and do make a bunch nore from speaking and lecturing gigs. After all it's for the good of the people and they should actually want to work just for expenses. They can make the real money from other sources.

Something else to think of. The automatic pay raise is to account for inflation etc. Yet Social Security recipients didn't get COLA because inflation was negative. A little discrepancy here? And they raised the Medicare cost by about $20 per month.
09-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So how many of you out there working part time jobs earned over $170,000? How many of you working full or part time got a $4700 raise this year? Actually how many got a raise at all?
Well our illustrious reps i government make that and got the raise. And it seems despite the efforts of Republican Sen. David Vitter, it looks like automatic Congressional pay raises, first instituted in 1989, are not going away anytime soon...
I'm curious why you make no mention of (D) Rep. Harry Mitchell, who attempted to put a stop to this a few months ago, or (D) Rep. Jim Matheson, who's spent most of a decade trying put an end to this.

"Fair & balanced", indeed.

Who was president in 1989, when the automatic pay raises went into effect?

FWIW, I don't believe Congressmen - and women - are allowed to keep the $$ they make from speeches.
09-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
I'm curious why you make no mention of (D) Rep. Harry Mitchell, who attempted to put a stop to this a few months ago, or (D) Rep. Jim Matheson, who's spent most of a decade trying put an end to this.

"Fair & balanced", indeed.

Who was president in 1989, when the automatic pay raises went into effect?

FWIW, I don't believe Congressmen - and women - are allowed to keep the $$ they make from speeches.
I googled pay raises 2009 and that was one of the first links. I really didn't intend it to be partisan this time. They are all ripping us regardless of party.

I am unsure about money received for speaking gigs. I believe they can keep the $$$ but I won't swear to it. So far I have no intel on that but am looking. As for the president it would have been Bush. With a democratic congress. Even with a presidential veto it would have been overriden.

But here's another article

QuoteQuote:
U.S. Rep. Harry Mitchell is a lead sponsor of federal legislation to block congressional pay raises in 2010. Mitchell and U.S. Rep. Ron Paul argue that Congress should not be getting automatic $4,700 pay raises while the U.S. economy is in recession and consumers and various industries are hurting.

“We’re in the midst of a recession, and our elected leaders need to do the right thing,” said Mitchell, D-Ariz., in a statement. “For Congress to give itself a pay raise at a time when so many hardworking Americans are suffering is unconscionable.”

Mitchell represents Scottsdale, Tempe and Ahwatukee.

Congressional members just received a $4,700 raise bringing their salaries to $169,300 annually. They will get the automatic increase for 2009 without legislation to block it.

Mitchell and Paul, R-Texas, also opposed the 2008 increase.
Fair and Balanced

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 09-30-2009 at 08:59 PM.
09-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They need the money.
It's hard making all though meetings with lobbyists.
Takes a lot out of ya.

09-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I googled pay raises 2009 and that was one of the first links. I really didn't intend it to be partisan this time. They are all ripping us regardless of party.
You're googling info here and on the other thread saying how unreliable/inaccurate information is on the web...
09-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

You're googling info here and on the other thread saying how unreliable/inaccurate information is on the web...
The info I got was from reliable sources and checked out on 2 different papers that agreed with each other. Then I went to the gov, site to check salaries and rounded the figures. Actual salary is within a few hundred $$$ per year of what I posted.

QuoteQuote:
But how many people find the info and look no further. Meanwhile they wind up with the unreliable info and don't even know it.
Here's what I said. I at least looked further to double check. How many stop at the first website they come across? 89.4112%

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 09-30-2009 at 09:03 PM.
09-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He gets it directly from the politburo.
10-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well in this day and age - you are 'worth' what someone will pay you; I think it is as simple as that. Years ago when Jose Canseco signed the biggest contract in baseball I took his previous years at bats and worked it out to about $3k a pitch or approximately $9k an at bat..... Mind boggling and today’s sports salaries are only higher....
10-01-2009, 07:33 AM   #13
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well in this day and age - you are 'worth' what someone will pay you; I think it is as simple as that. Years ago when Jose Canseco signed the biggest contract in baseball I took his previous years at bats and worked it out to about $3k a pitch or approximately $9k an at bat..... Mind boggling and today’s sports salaries are only higher....
But if it's a CEO then you need to have your salary capped?
10-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But if it's a CEO then you need to have your salary capped?
Well if I were running the world.... for CEO's and Atheletes and well everyone.... You would have a base salary that is way more reasonable that what today’s are. What this salary is would be based on the 'company’s bottom line' and what more or less you bring to the table - and yeah I agree on some sort of cap on this. This structure would not be an easy thing to set up as Head Office in NYC would likely demand more than Head Office in Torrey Utah. Perhaps you set up other perks such as living allowance or something depending on where you need to be.

Everything else would performance based (including athletes) - you bring in 10 million then yeah you should get a piece of that pie as should everyone who contributed. You score 50 goals that year and bring your team to the playoffs bonus time. The company goes bankrupt, you are done.

The thing that ticks me off more than the inflated salaries is the 'Golden Parachute' so many executives get.

There is an expression in sports good as your last shift. The workforce in general has gotten away from that for most professions. You don't have to be a star everyday - but personally if my Salary was high 6 or 7 digits , knowing a Golden Parachute is there in the event something goes wrong, it's like being an Actor ... 'where's my motivation'

This obviously is an oversimplified example - but I do agree that CEO and top executive salaries and certain professions (Lawyers ha-ha have you check what Dentists make?) have gone awry.
10-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
graphicgr8s

Yeah Dave but think how much nicer the world would be without lawyers. Well at least ambulance chasers and the ones in politics.