Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone using a kindle?

i am constantly debating this......when work is good, i travel a lot...which leads me to read a bit....and part of my latest annoyance with reading is the books are taking up space.

plus, manuals i use on customer sites could be made into kindle format. likewise my technical books (oreilly, etc). so it would save me lugging those around.....

the other big consumable is magazines, and the ones i usually go for arent on kindle (not many are....)...i tend to hang on to most magazines for one reason or another, until i forget why i decided to keep it. not great because they too pile up quickly.

so just curious if anyone has a kindle (or i guess even the sony ebook offering). the rumors of a possible apple device next year in part targeting kindle users makes me debate waiting till then because it would probably be a killer device...but the price could also be a lot more than a kindle....and no assurances they'd persuade my preferred magazines to go digital (outdoor photographer, shutterbug, travel magazines mostly. occassionally a mac magazine or some business magazine).

debating. it may be easier to convince myself to do this if i do get hired next week for what should be about 50% travel.....

10-03-2009, 12:33 AM   #2

I've played with my friends Kindle. It looks great!

Personally, I'm too cheap. I actually use my cel phone (TMobile G1) and fbReader. My battery lasts for at least 6 hours reading with at least 30% power remaining. (Longest I've read). I carry a spare battery around too.

My phone provides all my reading material when I'm backpacking.

The font and screen is very clear and easy on the eyes but obviously not quite as nice as a dedicated reader. The best thing is that I can read it in the dark.
10-03-2009, 04:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If they ever provide a means for transferring files via USB instead of snatching them out of the ether I would be interested. I'm sure lots of other English speakers/learners around the world in locations without access to the wireless system involved would also be interested if such capability were introduced.
10-03-2009, 04:58 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

I thought u could do that... put files on it with usb, at least the latest one that has a pdf reader

10-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
you can transfer to kindle via whispersync, usb and SD cards. no worries there

i have tried my iPhone kindle App, it's not horribly bad, but when I do read, I tend to read a lot at a time---something the iPhone isn't ideal for--its too small to be comfortable in the hands as a substitute to a book or e-reader for too long. Plus the screen size isn't ideal for things. It's better than nothing, but it hasn't driven me to buy nothing but e-books (i've bought 2 for my iphone kindle, read one all the way through)

i think if travel picks up i may grab the smaller kindle and write it off as a business tool due to the manuals i can load on there....the one plus is, if i hate it, amazon has a fabulous return policy. just wish there was a way to handle one other than buying one..
10-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a Motion Computing LE1600 I got off of eBay. Much more versatile, since I need more than an ebook reader.
10-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I thought books purchased from Amazon could only be delivered via whispersync. The last time I researched it that was the impression I got.
10-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I believe Amazon purchases can only be transferred via whispersync, yes.

I like my Kindle 2 a lot, and it's great for travel, but I still read traditional books a lot more often. I mainly end up using the kindle for classics, new books I don't want to pay for in hardcover, and periodicals (Asimov's, Analog, and the Times Literary Supplement).

10-04-2009, 04:20 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I like the etymology of the name.

Other than that, it's just a square wheel.
10-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
likewise my technical books (oreilly, etc).
You consider oreilly to be your technical book? Surely, I misread that.

My wife is trying to talk me into using a Kindle as I read a lot, actually every day. I'm just not so sure that I would actually like it.
10-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
Inactive Account

My nan has the Sony eBook reader, I've had a play, and as a keen gadgeteer, I was impressed. Until I saw the price.

But, the 200 she spent on that, is the same as how much she spends on books in a few months anyway!
10-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
You consider oreilly to be your technical book? Surely, I misread that.
You know he means these and not Bill O'Reilly's books, right?
10-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
You know he means these and not Bill O'Reilly's books, right?

Yep, just "poking" a little fun.