Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2007, 02:51 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Pat, Sean, Tim, Jonas, Jer, Dan, and PDL, Thank you for remembering. And to those who now serve, Come Home Safe.

I know after I served and realized the horror, I found a peace with those who served before me. I was never able to talk to my father and uncles about their service. (they wouldn't talk about it) when I came back I understood I knew what they went through and the horrors they had seen. Then and only then could we talk. Then and only then did I realize what freedom meant. Then and only then did I realize and understand our constitution, and what our for fathers had envisioned.

To those who this country called enemy, I now call warriors. They too died and fought for what they believed, they too have my respect and understanding.

05-28-2007, 04:27 AM   #17

I think most here have valid points. About wars, as Jonas pointed out, there will always be heated discussions from a variety of angles. Especially if you are at an international forum, where you cannot expect a "national consensus" of the topics discussed. It is easy to imagine that the middle-eastern view of american influence varies from that of the american general public, or japanese, or scandinavian, or whatever. My point is that I think that no matter our opinions, treads like these require respect for diversity in thinking, no matter what we personally think is right.
05-28-2007, 07:03 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
I'm sorry I posted this thread.
I am not sorry that you posted this at all. No apoloigies needed and none accepted. Your words were kind, thoughtful and sincere without political agenda. Thank you for making them!

Remeberance should go beyond the political agenda of ones personal feelings or the baby food of political agendas crammed down the throats of the unthinking populace by the media.

In all honesty, I respect all positions on our involvement. But the truth is that there is no clear truth in this issue. Between the ever ravenous rantings of the press where truth is a rare commodity indeed, and the double-talk politics of this (or any) nation....no one knows the true facts or reasons why things are done.

I often ponder, when searching for some form of light in body politics of this country, whether or not we, as a nation, can (or want to...) actually deal with the truth.

In the Western world at least, freedom, unfortunately, has been won soley on the curse of war and those that gave their lives for their governments and never saw the fruits of their personal sacrifice. So, there is nothing wrong with paying honor to those who have served and survived, and those that have served and never returned.

Thank you for evoking memories and reminding me why I can live the life I live. This day has taken on a deeper memory because you took the time to express yourself and remind me what I often take for granted...and I thank you.

Stephen
05-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #19

Whatever Chicken Hawk

And I hate Isreal...how did you pull that out of your arse?

BTW..I am not a liberal....far from it. I am more consercative then Bush will ever be. He has killed true conservitisim.

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
What disgusts me is when their lives are debased by mindless, self-hating liberal talking points that ooze from from the corners of hysterical minds.

Then get over your hatred for conservatism, George Bush, and Israel. You and your kind have degraded political speech into wild accusation and personal destruction.

Sure. Now who's lying?

One of the great truths that liberals often miss about our country is that free speech does not mean you are free from reprisal. It is no surprise that you think this is so.

05-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a shame to see this thread stoop to this level. All PT wanted to do was honor the folks that made the lives of us Americans < and lots of Europeans too > so nice. He never mentioned politics, Iraq, Viet Nam, etc.. I watched a show on HBO a few months back called "We Stand Alone Together" It was about Easy Company in WW2. I believe they were an elite group from the 101st Airborne. No other documentary of any kind ever hit me as hard as this one did. They had many of the actual soldiers that were part of this group. They told stories of what they had to endure, what conditions they fought in, and the way they were received in some of the countries they freed from the Nazi's I'm not a very emotional guy usually, but this had me reachin' for the kleenex quite a few times, these guys < and all of the other soldiers of the allies > were HEROS, plain and simple. let's not tarnish them and all other hero's with our political views, ok?
05-28-2007, 10:13 AM   #21

From a Canadian whose Grandfather fought for my freedom over 60 years ago, I offer a heartfelt thank you to all servicemen. Your sacrifices will always be remembered. To those who have lost family members I offer my condolences.

The Canadian War Memorial:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
05-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #22

Sorry for diverging from the OP intent to just honor those that have served our countries.

I respect and honor those that have died and served our country. I just want to make sure that future soldiers don't have to die because of money, greed and self serving interests of our leaders.