Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I found it racist.

It comes down to the style of makup used. As Wheetfield explained, "blackface" is the problem here. Not the parody of the jackson Five.

I'm sure there are plenty of Jackson five skits that didn't resort to "Blackface" for comic effect.

10-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

hmmm, tough topic. I'm an Australian with a Spanish background and now live in Japan where I'm the definite odd one out and to certain degree felt the annoying sting of some type of discrimination, not necessarily racism. I've seen parodies in Japan of white and black people by Japanese comedians and to the Japanese, it's pretty funny. To me, it's not but I see it as ignorance, not racism. So I'll have to agree that certain types of comedy are only funny in their country and an outsider would consider it offensive or humourless.

Because African American's are not a part of Australian culture, do Australians have the right to parody them? Why not make fun of Aboriginals then? (imagine the shit storm that would cause). Also, If these guys performing the skit are of darker skin colour, why would they need to paint themselves black?

PS - Yayyy....500th post!
10-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I found it racist.

It comes down to the style of makup used. As Wheetfield explained, "blackface" is the problem here. Not the parody of the jackson Five.

I'm sure there are plenty of Jackson five skits that didn't resort to "Blackface" for comic effect.
Sorry you feel that way.
I don't quite understand how makeup makes the difference in calling it racist.
The act was intended for comedy, not slander.

If by the Wiki definition even the simple act of stereotyped performances (like this one) without makeup constitutes this negative connotation, then we'd all have to remove all sorts of parody against any group of people from comedy to avoid being called racist/prejudiced/whatever.

Australia has accepted that ridiculing indigenous Aussies can stir up trouble because of its history, but should there be parody of the Aboriginal people overseas, that would barely make a mention in Australia... and I'm not sure the indigenous people would react much if it did.
10-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
Also, If these guys performing the skit are of darker skin colour, why would they need to paint themselves black?
They're obviously not dark enough...
So should they have even worn wigs? Or what about MJ's bling outfit - perhaps he shouldn't have worn that either...

10-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #20
Veteran Member

First it is the type of makeup and the way it is applied that is the offense. Blackface makeup is a symbol of a negative racial stereotype. There is nothing funny about it.

Second, the group behind "Micheal", does not portray the Jackson Five in any way. Without the visual conection to that specific musical act, they become a general parody of a single racial group. Again, not funny.
10-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #21
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
First it is the type of makeup and the way it is applied that is the offense. Blackface makeup is a symbol of a negative racial stereotype. There is nothing funny about it.

Second, the group behind "Micheal", does not portray the Jackson Five in any way. Without the visual conection to that specific musical act, they become a general parody of a single racial group. Again, not funny.
Sounds like, therefore, the show, intended only for Australians, should have just stayed in Australia. No offense would have been taken, some would have had a laugh, and life would have gone on with no bad feelings from anyone.

This is obviously causing people to be uncomfortable unnecessarily.
10-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
They're obviously not dark enough...
Neither was Michael

What you said though about Aboriginals maybe not taking such offence, I disagree. Aboriginals are fairly sensitive about their past and they have a right to be and I doubt they'd like it if some white boys in America were taking the piss out of Yothu Yindi.

10-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #23
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
Neither was Michael

What you said though about Aboriginals maybe not taking such offence, I disagree. Aboriginals are fairly sensitive about their past and they have a right to be and I doubt they'd like it if some white boys in America were taking the piss out of Yothu Yindi.
But they're a great band - quite exemplary to Indigenous folk!

They, as well as most other Aboriginal people, aren't very controversial/unusual to be able to take the Mickey out of them anyway...

The Jacksons on the other hand...
10-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

You're right, they were taking the piss out of the Jacksons, not black people but I guess the make up went too far and pushed a few buttons.
10-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Well, better Harry Connick Jr. than Sol Trujillo.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pvpbRxfkn0[/yt]
10-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #26
Veteran Member

As others have said, the problem is with "blackface" itself, and not with sending up the Jackson Five. It's ignorance of the history of blackface (primarily in the USA) and not explicit racism. It's just ignorant use of a racist symbol, no malice intended I'm sure. I think Connick reacted the way most educated Americans would react if they were shown a completely unironic blackface routine in 2009.
10-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Sounds like, therefore, the show, intended only for Australians, should have just stayed in Australia. No offense would have been taken, some would have had a laugh, and life would have gone on with no bad feelings from anyone.

This is obviously causing people to be uncomfortable unnecessarily.
Well, you did ask.
It is interesting that the only thing the Americans have had to say about it is to try to write off the racial aspect of the Civil War as a non starter, and the Canadians are the ones to be somewhat touchy though.
10-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Also, here's a funnier version of this thread on a generally funnier board:

Hipinion.com :: View topic - Harry Connick Jr. vs. Australians in blackface
10-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #29
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Well, you did ask.
It is interesting that the only thing the Americans have had to say about it is to try to write off the racial aspect of the Civil War as a non starter, and the Canadians are the ones to be somewhat touchy though.
I did, and it's certainly given me food for thought, having been reasonably well travelled and hopefully becoming a little more tolerant with time...
10-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Well, you did ask.
Yea that it interesting. I have a lot to say but I aint.... Im just gone see how this plays out..... As I would be the one to ask if I was offended.....