Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
That said, I do think it's more than a bit silly to give someone a Nobel prize less than a year into his presidency, given no great humanitarian/peace efforts prior to taking the office. Seems like a publicity grab by the Nobel committee, though I doubt they really need it.
My wifes first reaction was that it is way too easy for those American guys to get the Nobel peace price. Having thought of it a bit more now and having read the nomination I must agree with both of you. This is a bit odd. What if the Irak and Afghanistan war is still going on (with or without USA) at the end of his period. Will not this price appear very premature?

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I stand (also sit) corrected. His nomination was 12 days into his dicta, sorry presidency. But the request for submissions went out before he was even elected. And what the heck did he do as senator besides vote "present" on most things?
I'm sure he did something usefull other than voting. Seams to have been a bussy guy. BUT, I think we can agree that this is strange, allthough for different reasons.

I have a theory:
At least the nomination (not necessarily so much the fact that he was eventually selected) was probably (subconsiously) an expression for the great relief many (most) Europeans felt when you got rid of Bush, a sort of collectively reward to the whole American people. You may not like this, but I dare say most Europeans looked with amazement and terror on the American foreign policy under Bush.

It's not the first time the Norwegian parlament are making bigg international politics of the peace prise. And I think Alfred Nobel is smiling in his heaven (or hell). He used the price in this way already when it was just a testamenty.

10-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You just have no idea how BAD TheBush made us look internationally.
Since they coudn't give it to all of us, they gave it to the one who is not TheBush!

You know like congrats for picking someone who could speak english.
10-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Who would you consider worse? Charles Manson?
George W. Bush
10-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
George W. Bush
Touche!!!!!!

10-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #20

But his nomination apparently was before he did anything. But then again even if he were nominated yesterday the same would hold true. Well before he had done anything good.

Who would you consider worse? Charles Manson?
So Obama is the equivalent in your eyes of a deranged psycho/sociopath?
Where do you sit when Rush has to shit?
10-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The real question is: can Obama decline the award in a way that will look other than rude?

Gently rejecting the award, or insisting that he will only accept it on behalf of the US or something, would still allow him the opportunity to give an honest, politically empowering speech, but it would also allow him to project humility and to have the topic of the speech be "the work that remains to be done."

And it would be a good way to shut up critics and maximize political utility.
10-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Also:

10-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #23
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
George W. Bush
Algore, Jimmy Carter, Timothy McVeigh
10-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #24

The real question is: can Obama decline the award in a way that will look other than rude?

Gently rejecting the award, or insisting that he will only accept it on behalf of the US or something, would still allow him the opportunity to give an honest, politically empowering speech, but it would also allow him to project humility and to have the topic of the speech be "the work that remains to be done."

And it would be a good way to shut up critics and maximize political utility.
His address just aired did everything there except refuse the award.
10-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Yeah, saw that. Well, at least it was humble.

Obama says he'll accept Nobel as 'call to action' - Boston.com
10-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Also:

Umm, that's not true.
10-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Algore, Jimmy Carter, Timothy McVeigh
Reagan killed more Americans than all of those combined. Shame you missed that.

Oh, the unreality of Rupert and Rush.

War is peace!
10-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Umm, that's not true.
Guess you're not familiar with Patton Oswalt?

Also this is pretty loltastic. Will the sniping from both sides never end?:

QuoteQuote:
"The Republican Party has thrown in its lot with the terrorists -- the Taliban and Hamas this morning -- in criticizing the President for receiving the Nobel Peace prize," DNC communications director Brad Woodhouse told POLITICO. "Republicans cheered when America failed to land the Olympics and now they are criticizing the President of the United States for receiving the Nobel Peace prize -- an award he did not seek but that is nonetheless an honor in which every American can take great pride -- unless of course you are the Republican Party.

"The 2009 version of the Republican Party has no boundaries, has no shame and has proved that they will put politics above patriotism at every turn. It's no wonder only 20 percent of Americans admit to being Republicans anymore -- it's an embarrassing label to claim," Woodhouse said.
10-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
Reagan killed more Americans than all of those combined. Shame you missed that.

Oh, the unreality of Rupert and Rush.

War is peace!
You mean the reagan
10-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That became apparent when they gave one to algore.
And Kissinger.

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble coming up with a quaint, condescending misspelling or deliberate grammatical error to better communicate my derision for 1973's Peace Prize choice with something simpletons would mistake for wit.

"henrykissinger"? No. "The Kissinger?" Not that one, either. Any suggestions? Those who toil against their will under the crushing yoke of "The Obama's" despotic regime feel free to provide some suggestions.

Wait! Kissinger's middle name is "Alfred." Maybe I could find someone who did something bad with the same name and then triumphantly state, "...you know, his middle name is ALFRED just like [insert bad Alfred's full name here]!!!"
Closed Thread