Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Exactly. At the time of his nomination he wasn't in the middle of accomplishing anything. All he had done was say what he was going to try to accomplish.
At the time of nomination, yes. However, the actual choice was made later, and Obama has already shown several key issues he wants to address, for instance wrt nuclear disarmament and the middle east.

Hell, even George W. Bush got nominated, in 2002!

10-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #32
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Also:

Hitler was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1939 on the basis of the peaceful resolution of the Sudetenland Crisis; but the nomination was rejected by the Nobel Prize Committee.

This all took place before Hitler started the World War II.
10-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Interesting summation of world reactions here:

World Reaction to a Nobel Surprise - The Lede Blog - NYTimes.com
10-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alfred E. Neuman?
Kinda looked like Thebush.........No wait....He could eat pretzels!

10-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
At the time of nomination, yes. However, the actual choice was made later, and Obama has already shown several key issues he wants to address, for instance wrt nuclear disarmament and the middle east.

Hell, even George W. Bush got nominated, in 2002!
The Bush nomination was kind of a joke as far as anyone I know was concerned, ...it's not like the Right over here waited ten minutes before calling Obama a 'dictator,' though. Apparently, in by their own account, before he'd 'done anything.'

Intriguing.
10-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #36
Site Supporter

They are just mad that Hollwood Ron didn't get one.
10-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Here's a fair analysis:

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

"I've had some coffee now. Reading through all the reactions, compiled by Chris and Patrick, there are two obvious points: this is premature and this is thoroughly deserved.

Both are right. I don't think Americans fully absorbed the depths to which this country's reputation had sunk under the Cheney era. That's understandable. And so they also haven't fully absorbed the turn-around in the world's view of America that Obama and the American people have accomplished. Of course, this has yet to bear real fruit. But you can begin to see how it could; and I hope more see both the peaceful intentions and the steely resolve of this man to persevere."

10-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #38
Inactive Account

I awoke this morning, heard the news and had to check the calendar, thought it was April 1st.
10-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Both are right. I don't think Americans fully absorbed the depths to which this country's reputation had sunk under the Cheney era. That's understandable. And so they also haven't fully absorbed the turn-around in the world's view of America that Obama and the American people have accomplished. Of course, this has yet to bear real fruit. But you can begin to see how it could; and I hope more see both the peaceful intentions and the steely resolve of this man to persevere."
Painfully aware. I'm *still* freaked out. But getting us back on the bright side of the Force and inspiring the planet ain't nothing.
10-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #40
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Here's a fair analysis:

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

"I've had some coffee now. Reading through all the reactions, compiled by Chris and Patrick, there are two obvious points: this is premature and this is thoroughly deserved.

Fair? So left wing nut stories are fair but not Conservative views?

Steely Resolve? What to drive this country down the toilet like he is doing now? Killing what's left of our economy and our military?

Economically history has shown what he is doing prolongs the recession not ends it.
But who cares about history. Not liberals, that's obvious.
10-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #41
Site Supporter

View?
Conservative/Repulicans are mostly blind.
10-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #42
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
View?
Conservative/Repulicans are mostly blind.
Liberals are brain dead.
10-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #43
Site Supporter

At least they have one.
10-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #44
Site Supporter

How long before this one gets shut down?
Bets anyone?
10-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Liberals are brain dead.
Mushrooms don't have brains. To culture them, they must be kept in the dark and fed manure. However, insects have brains which makes them infinitely more capable of adapting to a changing environment.

Last edited by Blue; 10-09-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Closed Thread