Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How Does this work? Any Mathemeticians out there?

Regifting Robin

10-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty simple actually.
The mathematical calculation results in a number that is a factor of 9.
eg. 14-1-4=9
29-2-9=18
35-3-5=27
64-6-4=54
etc

Then they simply have the SAME item under each number that is a factor of 9 (with other stuff in other numbers to mask the fact they did this).

It had me puzzled the first two times how it managed to 'figure out' my number, but then I saw the pattern of results and knew there was something in it...
10-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks, Ash. Now I will be able to sleep tonight. OCD is a B__ch.
10-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Thanks, Ash. Now I will be able to sleep tonight. OCD is a B__ch.

You're not the only one.
Although with time I've learned to appreciate that we simply can't work everything out, whether on our own or collectively!

10-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I still get brain cramps when I think of those old ..."if a train is heading east at 40mph, and a crow is flying south at 20 mph, what time is it?" I just went out and bought a watch.

Math...I never did "get it". Funny, I have a son that is a math genius, and his son, my oldest grandson is also a whiz in math. I can do the basics, and love geometry, but beyohd that when I see a math problem....I just tend to buy another watch!
Regards
10-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I still get brain cramps when I think of those old ..."if a train is heading east at 40mph, and a crow is flying south at 20 mph, what time is it?" I just went out and bought a watch.

Math...I never did "get it". Funny, I have a son that is a math genius, and his son, my oldest grandson is also a whiz in math. I can do the basics, and love geometry, but beyohd that when I see a math problem....I just tend to buy another watch!
Regards
How many watches do you have? LOL
10-12-2009, 04:19 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Regards
I'm in the same boat. Don't have the straight-line path of thought that it takes to solve anything more complex than basic (plus, minus, multiply, maybe some short division) maths.

I think it's a bit of a fallacy that if you're smart at one thing, you're good at everything. My performance in English at school got me put into the high-level maths class, at which I failed abysmally. Apparently it was because I "wasn't applying" myself, not because when the teacher teacher stuck a three-foot long algebra equation on the board I just saw a bunch of letters and numbers that, in my mind, had no business being put together like that.

I finally got put into the mid-level maths class. No, it wasn't as glamourous, but you did actually learn useful stuff, like how much paint would be needed to cover a 4 metre square wall if each litre of paint covers 1.25 square metres.

Same with balancing reactions in chemistry (H2S04 + KMNO4 -> ?)

Apparently, the whole "being smart in one area doesn't guarantee intelligence in another" is a pretty radical idea in the field of science...which is dominated completely by people who love maths.

10-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

knowing higher level math "hurts your brain" because you are using that part of the brain that is not used to excercise

just like a writer will pout and stomp around his typewriter thining of the perfect introduction, so does a mathematician when trying to simplify a complex equation.

its good to know both, and anyone that throws their hands up and just gives up is missing out on a world of insightful fun and discovery...