Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hey Hummer owners!

Sure hope nobody who owns a Hummer needs to use their warranty for any reason. Hummer now belongs to Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Corp who bought not only the name but the dealer rights as well. Wish I had spent $40-50K on a vehicle that was worthless to begin with but now is even more so!

Sorry, just had to share the news.

10-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I never saw the point of the Hummer. My commute is one and a quarter miles so I drive something sensible. A Chevy quad cab with the new 403 HP 6.2L engine.
10-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yeah, I never saw the point of the Hummer. My commute is one and a quarter miles so I drive something sensible. A Chevy quad cab with the new 403 HP 6.2L engine.
Yeah! That's more like it!
10-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I used to get annoyed by slow drivers on a two lane highway. NOW I look forward to it!

10-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nah, you see, *real* clout out there is an old Ford with already beaten-up steel bumpers.

I've only met one person in my life with both the means for a Hummer and practical use of one. When they start putting tires that are only an inch thick and gigantic chrome wheels on them... Well.
10-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Nah, you see, *real* clout out there is an old Ford with already beaten-up steel bumpers. I've only met one person in my life with both the means for a Hummer and practical use of one. When they start putting tires that are only an inch thick and gigantic chrome wheels on them... Well.
When I lived in Fairbanks, many years ago, there was a guy tha had an old Ford PU with a front bumper that was made of 4" steel pipe filled with concrete. He said he was tired of slaming on the brakes for people running stop signs in front of him. Now that is *real* clout!
10-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
When I lived in Fairbanks, many years ago, there was a guy tha had an old Ford PU with a front bumper that was made of 4" steel pipe filled with concrete. He said he was tired of slaming on the brakes for people running stop signs in front of him. Now that is *real* clout!
My friends brother did that as well and for more or less the same reasons!

10-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Another View.....

I don't care for Hummers, think they are not a decent vehicle for most uses, and think they represent the excesses of society. A few years ago I was at my local Jeep dealer getting the oil changed in my Jeep Wrangler when a guy came in with his Hummer for service. Nice looking young man, suit and tie, and the Hummer was top of the line....leather, gold trim etc.
Being left leaning, and having a big mouth, I complimented his Hummer on appearance, but told him I saw it as an excess and if he had that kind of cash maybe he could spread the wealth so more kids could have health insurance. He was a little surprised, but after a second or three, he said he agreed and was actually not a Hummer fan, and did think it represented excess that could better be used in other areas. The problem was, he had his own business, and the Hummer fit the qualifications for tax credits that rendered it virtually free. While he couldn't afford what he really wanted, the Hummer was affordable, since it was cost free except for maintenance, and that was deductible.
If I am not mistaken , this program ended last year, but began under Bill Clinton.....so I am a little less quick to judge a Hummer driver than I once was. Still don't like them, still think they are ugly boxes without any "soul" but if one was given to me free, like it was for that guy, I doubt that I would turn it down. I may be on the left, but I'm not stupid. On the other hand, I would make my wife drive the ugly box and take her Escape for myself. And no, no one will ever get my Jeep Wrangler, it is superb!
Regards!
Rupert
10-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #9

Original Poster
I unfortunately had to trade my Wrangler off last year so that I could drop a car payment on a truck I also no longer own. What a trip this economy has been huh?
10-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MoparFreak69 Quote
I unfortunately had to trade my Wrangler off last year so that I could drop a car payment on a truck I also no longer own. What a trip this economy has been huh?
Don't get me wrong, I drive a Wrangler, but there are many people that view The Jeep in nearly the same light as the Hummer. While I am not a fan of the Hummer, I'm not going to throw stones either. I see no difference in someone running around in a Hummer than I do people in a Lincoln Continental, Caddy, or being carted around in a limo.
10-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Sorry to hear that!

QuoteOriginally posted by MoparFreak69 Quote
I love my Wrangler and know that you must have loved yours too! With my K20D and other gear tossed in my Wrangler, I feel that I am as rich as anyone in the world when I head down the road to take a few photos. I really don't need much else, excepting the basics or clothing and shelter...a little good food, and a lovely wife, and I have them all. A yard full of fine squirrels, a few raccoons every night....life is good!

Yes, I have been blessed and very fortunate, the economic meltdown has had almost no effect on my life, personally. In past times I have been on the short end of the stick, and I can tell you for sure that it was miserable and heartbreaking to have little children with birthdays and struggle to get them a cake. Or to sell my beloved '69 Roadrunner to pay the rent way back then. I understand, it has left a scar on my soul that will never vanish, so I understand that you didn't just lose a vehicle, you lost a part of yourself, and it is more than just a bad "trip". But....hang in there! The sun will rise again, and you will recover and flourish, any guy that has owned a Wrangler is tough enough to make it through the current nightmare.
Regards
Rupert

BTW- I would like to hear from anyone that views the Wrangler as un-American? The Wrangler is about as American as Apple Pie. You agree with that Mopar? Now maybe some would like to have us think that Apple Pie has been replaced by Sushi, or the Wrangler by a Hummer, but I don't think they will constitute more in numbers than you would find Democrats at a Sarah rally? Heck, even old Blue drives a Wrangler! Wranglers are for all Americans, red and yellow , black and white,......even my Green one!

Last edited by Rupert; 10-10-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Add an item
10-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Yes, I have been blessed and very fortunate, the economic meltdown has had almost no effect on my life, personally. In past times I have been on the short end of the stick, and I can tell you for sure that it was miserable and heartbreaking to have little children with birthdays and struggle to get them a cake. Or to sell my beloved '69 Roadrunner to pay the rent way back then. I understand, it has left a scar on my soul that will never vanish, so I understand that you didn't just lose a vehicle, you lost a part of yourself, and it is more than just a bad "trip". But....hang in there!
Oof. Roadrunner, eh? I miss my old Duster like no one's business. Wonderful car that I lost when hard times had caught up.

QuoteQuote:
BTW- I would like to hear from anyone that views the Wrangler as un-American? The Wrangler is about as American as Apple Pie. You agree with that Mopar? Now maybe some would like to have us think that Apple Pie has been replaced by Sushi, or the Wrangler by a Hummer, but I don't think they will constitute more in numbers than you would find Democrats at a Sarah rally? Heck, even old Blue drives a Wrangler! Wranglers are for all Americans, red and yellow , black and white,......even my Green one!
I've never heard anyone say a Wrangler is Un-American. . Apart from maybe being nice to shoot out of, probably just not a practical vehicle for me, but for being fairly easy to work on, if they're like the old CJ's that way.
10-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Movements like ELF & ALF etc. target the Hummer as their symbol of the evils of anything they consider an SUV. The Wrangler falls into this category by default even though many states officially categorize vehicles differently. Some vehicles were around before the S.U.V. term was designated by the Feds for tax purposes. They were the Jeep, Bronco, Scout, Blazer, Carryall etc. and were generally called utility vehicles. No one said "Wranglers" were un-American. What I said was that many people view them in nearly the same light as the Hummer.

Due to the current situation in Detroit, they are an endangered species.

As far as shooting out of, there are a couple of places for a semi-permanent camera mount with the top down but generally find it no easier to handle the camera than my old Bronco or Scrambler. Its next to impossible to stand up on the driverside front seat with the top down so generally photographing is done through the window anyway even then a lot of the time the best angle ends up through the windshield which may impact the IQ especially if the glass hasn't been cleaned lately.

Edit: I have been driving the JK Wrangler for 2 years and it has a comparable turn radius to my Bronco. The visibility out of both is great as well. It is a lot more comfortable as a daily driver etc and can be parked in compact spots and can turn on a dime. The CJ and YJ are great but would sit in the driveway a lot compared to the JK.
10-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #14

I'm a very keen off-tarmac driver, and I really do not see the point of the Hummer. It's just too big to fit down any of the trails I drive, plus with the size and weight of the thing I don't know how you'd tow it out with anything other than another Hummer.

I drive a 1996 Land Rover Discovery TDI, which will get to places a Hummer can only dream of simply by being small enough to fit through a normal farm gate!
10-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
I'm a very keen off-tarmac driver, and I really do not see the point of the Hummer. It's just too big to fit down any of the trails I drive, plus with the size and weight of the thing I don't know how you'd tow it out with anything other than another Hummer.

I drive a 1996 Land Rover Discovery TDI, which will get to places a Hummer can only dream of simply by being small enough to fit through a normal farm gate!
I agree with you regarding the Hummer. However, there are several political action groups that say no vehicle should be fitting down the trails. Many people that drive Hummers and Discovery SUV don't take them down trails all that much anyway.

Its a lot like saying "I don't see a point in Oly but Canon, Nikon, Sony and Pentax are o.k." Face it, you aren't going to find one of the self proclaimed "green" groups to state that the Discovery or the Wrangler are green vehicles. If they were to factor in safety as well as the life span of the Wrangler in a cradle to grave manner, they would find it is as green as anything currently on the roads.