Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #16
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by catsman50 Quote
very true i just had surgery on my shoulder and one second i was awake the next i had metal in my shoulder and 4 holes in my arm.lol
Matches the holes in your head? OK that was mean.

I've never had problems other than the first time. My wife's first time a couple years ago was bad. Throwing up all over. The next surgeries they gave her something and it went quite well. Even the C-section went great. Epidural first than after delivery a light knock out in the IV.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 10-13-2009 at 09:29 PM.
10-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Sign me up to that one! How much are they paying the participants?
Legal trial, Ash. Jayant Patel (I am not going to put the "Dr." in front of it,) is finally up for manslaughter.

Some classic, real-life ones from Jayant Patel:

"You're a big boy." Response to a patient requesting anaesthetic for a minor surgical procedure.

"Doctors can't carry germs." After a nurse asked him to wash his hands between patients.

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Oh shit he's awake. (Heard during my knee surgery in 1980. Woke up on the table while they were cutting.)
That's one of my nightmares. Did the paralytic they gave you work? Can't move, but can feel everything? Fortunately, they've started hooking up ECGs to monitor patients' brain activity while under anaesthetic, as opposed to the traditional "Hey, you awake?"
10-13-2009, 10:54 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Legal trial, Ash. Jayant Patel (I am not going to put the "Dr." in front of it,) is finally up for manslaughter.

"You're a big boy." Response to a patient requesting anaesthetic for a minor surgical procedure.

"Doctors can't carry germs." After a nurse asked him to wash his hands between patients.
Ohhh, yes. OK, I retract my previous enthusiasm for the 'trial'.
I won't comment on this fellow - although negligent, much of his allegations have been taken out of context.

Snapshot only 30 years ago and you'll find doctors routinely not having worn gloves for quite intimate and blood-stained examinations, including autopsies. It was common practice even not to have to wash hands between patients.

These habits died hard but did die given the proof of decreased infection rate in hospital when handwashing is done between patients...
10-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Love anaesthesia, go under in pain [past accidents] wake up painless.

10-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wwwmorrell Quote
Love anaesthesia, go under in pain [past accidents] wake up painless.
Nothing like a nice dose of propofol; you wake up feeling fully rested. Just ask Micheal Jackson...well...you know what I mean. Oh and a small dose of succinylcholine to relax those muscles.
10-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's one of my nightmares. Did the paralytic they gave you work? Can't move, but can feel everything? Fortunately, they've started hooking up ECGs to monitor patients' brain activity while under anaesthetic, as opposed to the traditional "Hey, you awake?"
Just before summer I had a serie of operations where they put an electrode along my spinal cord (and some other cables and electronics, battery...I'm a cyborg). The thing with this surgery is that they keep you awake all the time because they need your opinion: so there I was on my belly trying to conversate with the anasthesist (correct english?) while they where doing things "behind my back" until they had the electrode in preliminary position and put on the current and asked me "how does this feel"...bloody difficult at that moment to feel where the heck the electrical field manifested itself in my legs...I was sort of overwhelmed by all other impressions. And I don't know how many shots I got with local annasteshia before they started to cut in my back...these shots are quite painfull by themself. I could move, I could talk, I could feel them work on me, but not as a pain, but still feel it (well, on some occasion the pain went through and I had to ask for some more local annasthesia). An odd experience.

Anyway, I hate waking up from anasthesia...not that I have ever thrown up...but it is like a really bad hangover...and on one event, some 10 years ago, I called my wife from the "wake-up-room" (some insane nurse on watch had the bad judgement to give me a phone), confessed my great love for her talking like a drunk...and when I called her again a couple of hours later: "Honey I'm awake now, all went fine"...she answered "That's great, I know, you already called me..." I had no memory of calling her She had a lot of fun telling me how I had been speeking "Hooooooney, III looove you sooo muchhh!", but I also think that she was quite satisfied to know that I did think of her already when I was barely conscious.
10-14-2009, 02:40 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I'm a cyborg
That's a good Swedish name.

I had really bad ingrown toenails as a kids, and after a series of pointless but profitable (for the doctor) minor operations, I finally got it treated properly.

Filled my toe with lidocaine, tied off with a rubber band to keep it in there, and when they were cutting it out, it just felt like they were scraping some gum off my shoes while I was wearing them.

10-14-2009, 03:14 AM   #23
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had really bad ingrown toenails as a kids, and after a series of pointless but profitable (for the doctor) minor operations, I finally got it treated properly.

Filled my toe with lidocaine, tied off with a rubber band to keep it in there, and when they were cutting it out, it just felt like they were scraping some gum off my shoes while I was wearing them.
Yep, that's the definitive treatment of an ingrown toenail.
Sometimes a glove with one of the finger tips cut off is used as a tourniquet...
10-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Kid who did my right one was a locum. Fresh outta uni.

He'd already mastered the trademark doctor's "Hmmmm..."
10-14-2009, 04:25 AM   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kid who did my right one was a locum. Fresh outta uni.

He'd already mastered the trademark doctor's "Hmmmm..."

There's an assumed knowledge of medical etiquette once one graduates from med school.

Composure in the midst of ghastly scenes or crises is one example of this...
10-14-2009, 04:28 AM   #26
Inactive Account

I thought it meant "Ultimately fatal, but it's going to be interesting to watch."
10-14-2009, 04:45 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing Swedish with that: Cyborg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cyberg=Cybernetic Organism, an organism that have both arthificial and natural parts

Have you never seen Star-Trek?
10-14-2009, 04:56 AM   #28
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Nothing Swedish with that: Cyborg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cyberg=Cybernetic Organism, an organism that have both arthificial and natural parts

Have you never seen Star-Trek?
Douglas, I'm afraid your loss of sense of humour provides evidence that you really are a cyborg!

No offense, just kidding.
10-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Some interesting stories here - never been under the knife (knocks on wood) - however I was in a teaching hospital in my 20's where they suspected some sort of Viral meningitis so the interns got to practice spinal taps (2 of them ) on this relatively healthy young lad - it turns out whatever was causing my headaches (I suppose that is what a bad migraine feels like) left my body after a day.

I will never forget the intern’s words as the doctor was watching 'just relax' while I am in the fetal postion and he proceeds to shoves this foot long metal object into my spine ... (and he only missed once or twice ). It probably wasn't a foot long but you know how stories tend to get after many years haha, but I do remember the misses ouch !

Last edited by daacon; 10-14-2009 at 07:03 AM.
10-14-2009, 05:58 AM   #30
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The number one thing I would hate to hear is OOPS