Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
fedex suck

seriously I hate this service. I buy from the US and have to give my home address for security reasons (cc is registered there).

- We aren't home the moment the delivery guy comes and you cannot specify a particular day for them to come back, they just come at a random time the next day..
- Pickup is impossible for me as they are so far away and in a very bad location to get to (with regards to peak hour).
- They keep pushing for me to sign the form so they can leave it on my doorstep to be stolen.
- They won't leave at the post office like pretty much any other international courier I have used before does (and you sign with ID there)..
- And to top it off I ask to pay the $15 penalty to change the address and they won't let me, but they are happy for me to authorise the $15 to be charged to the senders account.. How they hell can they be giving me the right to charge to someone elses account???

end of vent... now I can get back to work...

10-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Stage a silent protest Joele, don't buy anything.
10-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yea that happened to me with UPS recently and I went through the same BS as you are. I eventually had to go pick it up from the UPS station which is also a long ways away. I feel your pain. Really I do!!!
10-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strange service from the courier, though come to think of it, this might happen with UPS deliveries using Aus Post contractors to deliver to the house as well.

I've only had one parcel go back to the home of the contractor who didn't find me at home to sign it off, and he delivered it the next business day - luckily I was at home. If I wasn't I'd have probably gone through what you did Joel.

There's gotta be a better way...

10-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
UPS and USPS are OK in my area as they use the local Auspost contractor and they leave it at the local post office so I can pick it up easily on saturday morning..

Damn Brit - worst part is I wanted to buy something else that was also from an ebay seller using fedex, looks like I will pay slightly more to buy it elsewhere to avoid fedex, bad for everyone concerned :-/
10-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

It's funny how companies can do so well in one part of the world and blow it elsewhere.
For me, Fed/Ex is the courier of choice and I refuse to deal with UPS whenever possible.
10-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A friend of mine has the same gripe, with UPS.
However they're just down the road from my house, so after they've missed me twice (I'm never home) I just run down to the office.

The funny thing with UPS is I can sign for anyone at their house, or at their office.
I don't even have to be in the house, I only have to be on the yard.
However they won't let me pick something up for anyone else at their office

10-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

UPS in Canada means the home of a mega $$$$$ Brokerage fee for buying something from the US.....it's total corporate tax..... Their "Brokerage fee" has been more than my item at shipping in some cases. Want to turn a Canadian customer into someone that hates you...use UPS.

Sorry....I'm a little cranky after my ebay ordeal today....
10-20-2009, 01:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've had nothing but great service from FedEx here. The only time I have to sign for something is if the company I purchase from gives me a heads up that the package will require a signature (usually a higher priced item). I've had them deliver on a Saturday for a regular shipment several times. What I mean by that, I've paid for normal delivery, not a special fee to have it delivered on Saturday. UPS is different entirely. If you pay for 2 day delivery, it's going to take 2 days. The only given with UPS is buying something from KEH (which has outragous shipping charges anyways) - I'll get it from them next day because of my proximity to them - but never on a Saturday - with regular delivery. USPS Priority has been really good to me also because of Saturday delivery.
10-20-2009, 02:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
UPS in Canada means the home of a mega $$$$$ Brokerage fee for buying something from the US.....it's total corporate tax..... Their "Brokerage fee" has been more than my item at shipping in some cases. Want to turn a Canadian customer into someone that hates you...use UPS.

Sorry....I'm a little cranky after my ebay ordeal today....
I'm with you on this one. I'll refuse it before paying their fees. As for Joel, can't these guys use a cell phone? Call you when they are coming your way. Or do they just enjoy wasting time and gas. Makes no sense.
10-20-2009, 03:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
seriously I hate this service. I buy from the US and have to give my home address for security reasons (cc is registered there).

- We aren't home the moment the delivery guy comes and you cannot specify a particular day for them to come back, they just come at a random time the next day..
- Pickup is impossible for me as they are so far away and in a very bad location to get to (with regards to peak hour).
- They keep pushing for me to sign the form so they can leave it on my doorstep to be stolen.
- They won't leave at the post office like pretty much any other international courier I have used before does (and you sign with ID there)..
- And to top it off I ask to pay the $15 penalty to change the address and they won't let me, but they are happy for me to authorise the $15 to be charged to the senders account.. How they hell can they be giving me the right to charge to someone elses account???

end of vent... now I can get back to work...
LOL ! you haven't heard UPS then. aside from the fact that they would collect a brokerage fee on some items, they would leave your item in your doorstep if it's deemed not valuable. of course, you need to ask the seller to do you a special favour inorder to exempt you from those, even if it meant having no insurance. and thank god that nobody in my neighborhood would had the audacity to steal any package at my doorstep.

as far as FEDEX shipping is concerned, I had no problems with regards to time of delivery specifics as I'm aware of their daily routes where my packages are being delivered. it depends on your location actually. and if I want it to be more specific or know the whereabouts of my package during that delivery day, I usually call their CS staff for it. atleast, that's what I do.
10-20-2009, 05:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
As for Joel, can't these guys use a cell phone? Call you when they are coming your way. Or do they just enjoy wasting time and gas. Makes no sense.
They can only follow procedure I guess.. lol ... as I said I find fedex the hardest to work with in Australia, other couriers have done as you said before, or found other solutions..

I'll let them waste their gas money one more time delivering tomorrow when I know I won't be there, before I go pick it up after work.. won't be fun at all for me crossing the city at peak hour
10-20-2009, 05:48 AM   #13
Banned

glad to see im not the only one here who loathes fedex. after having a 200 dollar lens "lost" I then had the damn reimbursement check "lost". and after months of dealing with them I was out my money and my lens. after multiple problems after that regarding deliveries to the wrong address, not making deliveries at all (and then sending an email saying item was delivered ) I decided to refuse to use tham ever again. if it cant be shipped USPS (prefered) or UPS then I dont need it that bad.
10-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I've had packages that I was supposed to sign for from UPS and Fedex and they've been left at the door anyway. No one was there to sign, so who signs it?
10-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #15
Inactive Account

The last time Fedex was at my door, was the last time they are allowed on the property.
I had an expensive lens sent with sig required, and it was just left on the concrete step.
Problem was, it was raining. When I opened the box, very soggy. I found that the sender had used biodegradable peanuts. They had turned into a very gooey mass around the lens. Lucky for me the shipper had wrapped the lens in a stout plastic bag.
I complained and was told that it was my fault for not having someone there to accept it.