Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
New eBook Reader

There is the Kindle, the SONY eBook reader and now a another new one. The "Nook". Starting price at $259. More information here: Barnes and Noble Nook

And my question is.... is it worth it to buy an eBook reader or just to buy books? I'm an avid book reader and go through a book or two a week. I know the subject was brought up before, I just couldn't... ok, too tired to go look for the other thread.

10-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Cost wise you should just buy used books or borrow them from a library. The main advantage of an ebook reader in my opinion is the space saving you get by going digital, hundreds of books in one little device. There are also interesting subscription services like on the Kindle and the loaning of downloadable eBooks from public libraries in the EPUB format that as supported in the new Sony readers.
10-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Things that sound pretty neat about the Nook:

- 500k+ "free" eBooks
- ability to loan/borrow books from friends for up to 14 days
10-22-2009, 04:57 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
My wife's an avid reader & really likes her Kindle, esp for travel, and for instant book acquisition.

The download system works effortlessly over the cellular network & you can start reading a book as soon as you've selected it (ie. read *while* downloading!)

I'll probably get a nook as it may be more hack-able (uses Android.)

10-22-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Cost wise, I spend a lot of money on books. I try to find newer used books, but there aren't too many places around here that sell used books and even then, to find a book that just came out "used" is just as expensive as buying a new one. I usually buy new hardcover and then pass them on to my family to read and when I get them back, sell them on eBay. If I'm desperate and pick up a paperback, I pass those on to friends and they can pass them on to whomever.

My Mom was talking about maybe getting a Kindle, but if the Nook is a better buy, maybe we can each get one and share books. We'll see. If someone gets one, please let me know how you like it.
10-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

As mentioned above, it would make traveling easier with fewer books to pack. And supposedly you can use the fee WiFi in B&N bookstores to read a book for free while you are there. Although I love books, I also like the greener idea of going "paperless". I'm sure that in many circles this will evaporate into an analogy of the film vs. digital debates.
11-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Here's a new one.....

For all of those who like to read books on their computer while travelling or what have you, here is something FREE!

Kindle for PC

After more checking in to it, you still have to BUY the books. The Kindle software for the PC is free.

Last edited by Wildnsyko; 11-10-2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: More information.