Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #31
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The first plate maker I ever worked with that wasn't carbon arc was in 1995! The first carbon arc platemakers I used didn't even maintain the arc automatically. There was a knob on the front that you "tuned" the arc with. DAMN, do I feel old!
Back in the day when I worked in NYC we would go around and have to adjust all those rods. Welders glasses and gloves. You reached in and drew the rods apart to see how they fell. While they were powered. I've got one shop here that still uses one.

One place had like 18 full darkrooms. Walk through there you needed a guide.

Still miss Lino and Ludlow though. Good old Otto Merganthaler

10-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I never used a Ludlow. One of the shops I worked in had one, but the only thing I ever did in the letterpress area there was some hand setting on rare occasion.

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
...........Good old Otto Merganthaler
He was either a mad-man, or genius, I never quite decided.
10-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #33
graphicgr8s

I never used a Ludlow. One of the shops I worked in had one, but the only thing I ever did in the letterpress area there was some hand setting on rare occasion.

He was either a mad-man, or genius, I never quite decided.
He was both. You can't be one without the other.
10-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote

Is your shop DTP or do you still burn metal?
We're CTP. On large presses, you still need metal plates. You can go CTF and burn the plates, but going CTP, you skip the film and output directly to the plates. The downside of CTP is when you need to redo a plate in a rush. It taskes quite a bit longer than burning from films.

10-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I never used a Ludlow.
What about a Linotype? I remember working with monotype at school. What a drag!
10-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #36
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
We're CTP. On large presses, you still need metal plates. You can go CTF and burn the plates, but going CTP, you skip the film and output directly to the plates. The downside of CTP is when you need to redo a plate in a rush. It taskes quite a bit longer than burning from films.
Direct to plate, computer to plate. Same crap different acronyms in different parts of the world is all. How's business up your way Yves? Mighty slow down here.
10-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I can't complain. I do a lot of work for the U.S.A. Your money is as good as Canadian money. We run two shift six days a week, right now. Having to work on Saturdays kind of puts a damper on photography and flying, unfortunately. I wish I could send you some work, but I don't think you can print 40" paper on an A.B. Dick.

10-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #38
graphicgr8s

I can't complain. I do a lot of work for the U.S.A. Your money is as good as Canadian money. We run two shift six days a week, right now. Having to work on Saturdays kind of puts a damper on photography and flying, unfortunately. I wish I could send you some work, but I don't think you can print 40" paper on an A.B. Dick.
Can't even do it on our Heidelberg.
10-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #39
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What about a Linotype? I remember working with monotype at school. What a drag!
Yep, used a Linotype quite a bit in other shops, but the owner in the the shop I worked at that had the Ludlow wouldn't let ANYBODY touch it but himself.
10-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After my computer difficulties, I keep seeing this topic's title and thinking... "What, they've invented the scanner, finally? I've been waiting for that."
10-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #41
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
After my computer difficulties, I keep seeing this topic's title and thinking... "What, they've invented the scanner, finally? I've been waiting for that."
No they really haven't. It's still in the conceptual phase.