Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 01:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cool optical trick

http://i.imgur.com/CLvcc.gif

I promise it won't scare you. When the bar is full the colour will change and that's as much as I'll say to not spoil it for you. Enjoy.

10-25-2009, 02:09 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did the image temporarily show a colour version?
That's what it seemed like.
10-25-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

When you stare at an object long enough, particularly emitted as opposed to reflected light, you will se the polar opposite of that color when you close your eyes or turn the lights out or look at something black. The picture in the link is an animated gif and there may be a b&w negative of the image or a solid blak frame inserted just before the final b&w frame. For a brief period you perceive tan (the opposite of blue on a color wheel) walls when the blue is removed. That's my theory.
10-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
Dom

That is fairly cool another reason to stare blankly at my computer screen.

10-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
When you stare at an object long enough, particularly emitted as opposed to reflected light, you will se the polar opposite of that color when you close your eyes or turn the lights out or look at something black. The picture in the link is an animated gif and there may be a b&w negative of the image or a solid blak frame inserted just before the final b&w frame. For a brief period you perceive tan (the opposite of blue on a color wheel) walls when the blue is removed. That's my theory.
I just checked, and there's not solid black frame. Though I guess your theory explains the effect anyhow.
10-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I just checked, and there's not solid black frame. Though I guess your theory explains the effect anyhow.
Yeah - I suspected there was a brief color frame, but there isn't... Cool effect.
10-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

heh I remember seeing this stuff a long time ago, always fun. You would see the opposite colors if you close your eyes, but you'd also see it on a white background.

It stays as long as you don't move your focus point. Keep focusing on the area where the black dot was and you'll see color until it reverses again. Move your eyes from that spot instantly after it turns B&W and you will see B&W

10-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #8

Its a phenomenon called Sensor Perception Memory. Your eyes focused on the dot for a long enough period to where your brain accepted the negative image colors as being there. When it was reversed and converted into black and white your brain interprets the reversal only and not the conversion. Pretty cool trick. To really see the effect move your eyes around the picture right after it changes and you can see it go from color to black and white.