Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suck

This helicopter just flew right past my balcony. I ran upstairs and fired off about 20 awesome shots--only to realize that I didn't have a memory card in my camera. %#$&*!!!

10-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
**note to self... always make sure card is in camera...**
10-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

my camera yells at me when its out of memory.
10-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

At least you didn't have the lens cap on, look in viewfinder, take lens cap off, fire more, notice it its in manual mode with bad settings, adjust settings, take shots, then realize the card wasn't in (thx preview w/o card), then put a card in, take shots, notice it is full, then delete all shots, realize the card was in locked mode, take it out, unlock, put it in, format, and then take shots.

This didn't happen to me.

10-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Forum Member

I did that before...but with a rangfinder (Hexar AF)...with the lens cap still on...didn't realize I did it until that roll of film got developed.
10-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That's why I would like to tell Pentax and to all other manufacturers of DSLRs that they should embed, in all their DSLRs, at least 32MB of built-in RAM, so that you can at least take just ONE shot in such emergencies. Just enough memory for one RAW shot is all I ask.
10-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd rather have that ram added to my K-x's burst buffer!

They could probably program it to hold images in burst buffers and upload it to a card once you slide it in. Just don't turn off your camera!

10-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
That's why I would like to tell Pentax and to all other manufacturers of DSLRs that they should embed, in all their DSLRs, at least 32MB of built-in RAM, so that you can at least take just ONE shot in such emergencies. Just enough memory for one RAW shot is all I ask.
CMIIW but last time I was at a camera store, I played around with the D300s and it seems to store images even if there's no card in it (I checked). Can anyone confrim this?
10-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #9

I remember forgetting my memory card for a family event, had to ask another guy taking pictures on his point and shoot to take a picture with my DSLR. He oblidged. There are so many things to remember even in setting that can be a problem the next day.
10-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
At least you didn't have the lens cap on, look in viewfinder, take lens cap off, fire more, notice it its in manual mode with bad settings, adjust settings, take shots, then realize the card wasn't in (thx preview w/o card), then put a card in, take shots, notice it is full, then delete all shots, realize the card was in locked mode, take it out, unlock, put it in, format, and then take shots.

This didn't happen to me.
QuoteOriginally posted by snappy Quote
I did that before...but with a rangfinder (Hexar AF)...with the lens cap still on...didn't realize I did it until that roll of film got developed.
Oh, jeez, guys. Sorry!

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
CMIIW but last time I was at a camera store, I played around with the D300s and it seems to store images even if there's no card in it (I checked). Can anyone confrim this?
Some cameras have a "demo" mode so that customers can take photos and look at them on the LCD in the store. You can't copy them from the camera, though.
10-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Ricoh GRD III has 88Mb of internal memory just for this reason. Ricoh has some smart product designers/photographers on their team. I really hope they partner with Pentax...
10-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just keep a card in the camera at all times....
10-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Just keep a card in the camera at all times....
I had just taken it out to transfer photos, and I forgot all about it during my excitement. :P
10-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snappy Quote
I would like to state for the record that I've never done such a thing, specifically never done it with a Fuji GA645 and getting a half roll of black frames since the meter is not TTL and kept telling me good things and I never realized the lens cap was still on.

Never.
10-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

That's why you should go Canon. The cameras get mad at you if you try taking photos without cards in them.