Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photography and Lasik

I am sick of wearing glasses, and I cannot do contacts. Are the negatives that I have been told about lasik for photographers true? I am not really aphotographer, just a hobbyist so should I really be concerened? Has anyone on here had the surgery?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

06-01-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I had Lasik surgery done about 9 years ago and it ranks right up there as one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I was VERY near sighted and relied on glasses or contacts 100% of the time. Now I have 20/20 vision and have found no negatives as far as anything I try to do photography wise. Now I have to admit when I hit my 50's I did have to start using reading glasses but that's just old age trying to creep up on me.
06-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Check to see if you are an eligible candidate for Lasik first. Basically, you have to have cornea's that are currently thick enough to tolerate some 'removal' of material. The Dr. that did my Lasik surgery said he turns away more patients than he actually treats.

I had this done to both eyes 2 years ago and have not regretted it for a moment. Anything beyond arms length was out of focus. Now, everything within arms length is slightly out of focus - I need 1.5X 'cheaters' to read or use a computer. However, I can see the rest of the world in crystal clear 20/20 vision without glasses or contacts - it is simply great! They told me up front that because of my age (50+) I would need the cheaters to read, so I was ready for it.

I have experienced no problems in using a camera since Lasik; in fact, I find it enormously easier to place my eye right up close to the viewfinder rather than banging around with glasses.

For the first few months you may experience a bit of flare around bright lights at night. This effect seems to diminish with time and wasn't that annoying.

Lasik isn't for the squeamish. You are fully awake whilst they perform what has been referred to as the 'flap 'n zap'. Although the eyes are frozen you can sense what is going on all the time and can smell the burning process of the laser. (You have been warned! )There was only a slight amount of discomfort for about 4 hours after the procedure and I was able to legally drive the following morning.

All told I have no regrets! Go for it!
06-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Buddha.

I had the surgery about 5-6 years ago. I'd stopped shooting film at the time and hadn't started shooting digital, so the the first couple years I can't comment on the impact to my photography.

Currently I have no problems using my DS. In fact, using the DS viewfinder w/o glasses seems much nicer than I remember on the ME Super with them.

I'm still a bit nearsighted, esp. in my right eye which I use for the viewfinder. But the diopter correction on the DS makes this a non issue. I have mostly M and K lenses and can manually focus just fine. Side benefit: I'll likely never need reading glasses.

I was extreme nearsighted before lasik. I've forgotten my prescription, but basically I couldn't focus farther than about 6" in front of my face. I have no regrets having the surgery, but I don't go about promoting it. No long term studies available (obviously). I'd recommend you do some research on the pros and possible risks before making a decision.

Best wishes.

-Mark

06-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I am sick of wearing glasses, and I cannot do contacts. Are the negatives that I have been told about lasik for photographers true? I am not really aphotographer, just a hobbyist so should I really be concerened? Has anyone on here had the surgery?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Lasik is a very safe procedure. But like most things not without risk or even serious risk with the wrong Dr. performing the surgery!

I do wish to warn you, however, that you should be extremely wary of low cost Lasik procedures. Cost should not be a factor in your getting this procedure. There are reasons some facilities charge several thousand per eye while your "local Mall Lasik Center" claims to only charge several hundred.

The skills of the surgeon and the followup care should be paramount in your choice. Your state medical bodies can tell you of claims against your physician for this type of procedure. Lasik has fairly high litigation rates even though problems are relatively few.

Further, the best Lasik machines on the market are the Visx Star 4 for the classic Lasik procedure and the Intra Lase System for the bladeless cutting of the corneal flap.

Recovery time is generally quick, though some patients can have a dry eye problem for months afterwards, which can be mitigated by various artificial tears. Followup consultations with the Corneal surgeon SHOULD be continued even if you think that everything is fine.

Whatever you do, do not cut corners or costs on this type of surgery. Do your homework.

You should have no problems doing photography should you chose to go through with this.

As mentioned earlier, age does contribute to the various permutations of whether or not you may need reading glasses. As we age and hit our mid 40's the human eye (lens specifically) becomes presbyopic and cannot accomodate near and far vision. So, you will probably need glasses, if not now, then... at 40+.

Good luck,

Stephen
06-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys, really appreciated. It is good to hear that there are people out there with the surgery that are still active in photography.

I will def do my research and talk to my eye doctor in the near future.

Thanks again.
06-01-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a little late, but I'll chime in... 8-)

I had mine done in March of 2004 - I started wearing glasses around age 12. My diopter values were -5.5 and -6.0.

Since I did competitive sports at the time, my peripheral vision was compromised somewhat by contacts when I was on my training rides (cycling). Justification was easily given to have the surgery.

Luckily I have thick cornea, and was a poster child for the surgery. I had the custom Lasik done. We had a huge discount through our employee health plan - almost 50% off. It was fast, mild discomfort for a short period of time, and extremely fast recovery and healing - so good that I was doubling the normal time between visits.

The best part? I have better than normal vision - 20/10 and 20/15. It's done wonders for me, no question! I suspect my return to photography might not have happened, and my macro work may not be where I am at with it today. For me, that is priceless...

Best of luck, and safe journey if you go this route.

Best Regards,
Marc

06-01-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I do wish to warn you, however, that you should be extremely wary of low cost Lasik procedures. Cost should not be a factor in your getting this procedure. There are reasons some facilities charge several thousand per eye while your "local Mall Lasik Center" claims to only charge several hundred.
Good point! I paid a little over $2400 for my surgery. This included a year of monthly check ups with both my ophthalmologist and the DR. that did the surgery. Plus, this is a procedure for life with this Dr. If I ever need to have either 1 or both eyes 'touched up' with Lasik there will be no charge.

I am curious, what sort of horror stories did you hear about in relation to Lasik and photography?