Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

The thing that they used to fix the Bay Bridge

Just fell off.

10-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What was it. Refresh my memory. It has been 4 years since I lived in NorCal and before I left to come back to TX. I remember they were doing upgrades? There were a lot of cranes........
10-28-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A news report I saw on the TV mentioned one of the rods that hold the suspension cables failed. It appeared to have taken out a couple of vehicles. Kind of scary if it was the failure of a recent upgrade. That wasn't mentioned.
10-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

By the way, that thingy that fell weighed in at 5000 lbs. Fortunately no one was killed.

10-28-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
By the way, that thingy that fell weighed in at 5000 lbs. Fortunately no one was killed.
wow! thank goodness
10-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

London bridge is falling down.. falling down... falling down..

ohh wiat, wrong bridge
10-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was the thing that they used to repair a cracked eyebar that they found in the Eastern span of the Bay Bridge. It feel off into the roadway. It's only 4:30 and every other bridge is slammed with traffic already, especially the Golden Gate Bridge and the San Mateo Bridge. They're hinting at it being reopened tomorrow.

10-29-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, bridges don't last forever. One of the realitys our nations elected officials have to face up to is decaying infastructure. An even scarier thing to consider is that this has become a political arguement. A town in our area is dealing with an aging dam and whether or not to fix it or build a new one and treating engineering assements as if they were a political debate.
10-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Isn't this the scene where someone sees the Mothman before the bridge collapses??

Isn't it a shame that they have to fight over something like a bridge? What happens when it's not there? Then what are they going to do? Why not just fix it and get it over with?
10-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Maybe we should just have web cams pointed at the worst 20 or so bridges and wait for the worst to happen. It could be put on YouTube.
10-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
Isn't this the scene where someone sees the Mothman before the bridge collapses??

Isn't it a shame that they have to fight over something like a bridge? What happens when it's not there? Then what are they going to do? Why not just fix it and get it over with?
Because it is incredibly expensive. Most of these bridges were built between 75-50 years ago. Some may be a little newer. The biggest thing all have in common was they were never properly inspected and maintained for many years. Some serious rust and corrosion has settled in that can't be repaired. They were ignored for years by politicians who wouldn't vote for the funds. Repair for most consists of patching potholes. Actually, the California bridges are the best inspected and maintained in the country because of the constant seismic activity. Remember the old Fram oil filter commercial? Pay a little now or a whole lot later! In my neighborhood we have the Crown Point Bridge crossing Lake Champlain just closed until further notice. There is no money in the budget to repair it. It has added an hour or more travel time to reach Burlington, VT. Drive around or take the ferry. Politicians don't really care unless it interferes with their travel.
10-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Well, I am not taking a political side to this, because the guilt is on both sides, but I do see a nation in decline. Everywhere you look we are in deep debt, have failing schools, and our infrastructure is collapsing. Meanwhile we bail out the rich Fat Cats and fight wars that can't possibly be won as the debt rises and the decline sharpens.
Where is the new political party we need that will take politics out of the mix and work to restore our nation? Neither current party is addressing our problems, but don't hold your breath for a new solution....the powers "that be" have us in a stranglehold.
Regards!
10-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #13

I wonder if india was awarded this structural "upgrade" project... lol... we all know what happens when we farm out engineering and design contracts overseas... it gets done twice as cheap, at 4x error rate. I have yet to see any good engineering (oil/gas) on the gulf coast plants come out or india or china...
10-31-2009, 12:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Well, I am not taking a political side to this, because the guilt is on both sides, but I do see a nation in decline. Everywhere you look we are in deep debt, have failing schools, and our infrastructure is collapsing. Meanwhile we bail out the rich Fat Cats and fight wars that can't possibly be won as the debt rises and the decline sharpens.
Where is the new political party we need that will take politics out of the mix and work to restore our nation? Neither current party is addressing our problems, but don't hold your breath for a new solution....the powers "that be" have us in a stranglehold.
Regards!
That's looking on the bright side. Don't bitch about it, do something about it.
10-31-2009, 07:40 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Because it is incredibly expensive. Most of these bridges were built between 75-50 years ago. Some may be a little newer. The biggest thing all have in common was they were never properly inspected and maintained for many years. Some serious rust and corrosion has settled in that can't be repaired. They were ignored for years by politicians who wouldn't vote for the funds. Repair for most consists of patching potholes. Actually, the California bridges are the best inspected and maintained in the country because of the constant seismic activity. Remember the old Fram oil filter commercial? Pay a little now or a whole lot later! In my neighborhood we have the Crown Point Bridge crossing Lake Champlain just closed until further notice. There is no money in the budget to repair it. It has added an hour or more travel time to reach Burlington, VT. Drive around or take the ferry. Politicians don't really care unless it interferes with their travel.
Haven't been up that way in years. Off Topic... do they still have the Alpine slide at Burlington?