Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member

YMMV but I find Windows 7 to be a significant improvement over Vista. It is more stable, has improved configurability and the video driver fo my machine is much more refined and stable -- an important consideration for photo editing. Dave

10-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
I have seen a review comparing XP, Vista, & 7 speed wise. Although it seemed to the reviewer that 7 "appeared" to be the fastest, it wasn't. They compared actions with Office, WMP, etc and most often 7 came in dead last. I wouldn't say it would be a deal breaker - the differences were very small. Suprisingly, though, XP came out ahead in a number of the tests.
And here's one where Win7 is either 1st or 2nd on a majority of tests:

AnandTech: Windows 7 Performance Guide

Again, though, most of the differences between XP, Vista & 7 are pretty small, except for NAS performance, where 7 blows aways it's predecessors.
10-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Again, I guess it's what you use your computer for... I have a 500 Gb removable drive (the older kind that require a power cord) plugged into my HTPC for general backup. My bottleneck is my wireless connection and upgrading for better NAS performance wouldn't behoove me right now.
10-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
So those of us who have XP should hold on to it for now? An 8 pound laptop? Wow!
I bought an Alienware performance laptop in January of this year because I travel a lot and was sick of being stuck with a slow 13' laptop. I opted for the XP option over Vista, probably the best choice I've made in a while.

Once the above shits the bed, I'll probably end up getting a Sun desktop with either XP, 7, unix, or 7 and unix.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I'll probably end up getting a Sun desktop with either XP, 7, unix, or 7 and unix.
Why not Open Solaris?
10-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Love Windows 7! Been running it for a while now. The small UI enhancements regarding windows management are a welcome addition!
10-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I have had all of about 2 problems with my home-built Vista PC in the last two and a half years. I see little reason to upgrade to Windows Vista Second Edition, more commonly known by the uninformed as Windows 7.

10-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I have had all of about 2 problems with my home-built Vista PC in the last two and a half years. I see little reason to upgrade to Windows Vista Second Edition, more commonly known by the uninformed as Windows 7.
I tend to agree with this. I've had zero problems with Vista Home Premium and while I think about upgrading, the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.

Larry
10-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I too have had vists for a few years with no issues, it's just a little slow and bloated compared to Win 7 which I tested for a few months. I'll wait until I become a students again (a few months) and get student discount.
10-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Users who must have the latest and greatest pay top dollar to be guinea pigs for all the new bugs.
My modest requirements allow me to function well one generation (or more) behind what's current.
I have heard Windows 7 is an improvement over Vista, but I won't upgrade until XP is no longer supported.

Chris
10-31-2009, 03:51 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Users who must have the latest and greatest pay top dollar to be guinea pigs for all the new bugs.
My modest requirements allow me to function well one generation (or more) behind what's current.
I have heard Windows 7 is an improvement over Vista, but I won't upgrade until XP is no longer supported.

Chris
You're in the dark ages with XP!

I have been running Windows 7 RC1 on my notebook for several months now with zero problems. Now the RC is a public release candidate which means it will have more bugs/glitches/problems than the RTM (Release to manufacturing) which is what you can buy now on store shelves. Seeing how quick and stable Windows 7 RC is, I have no doubt that problems with Windows 7 will be quite limited.

I upgraded from Fisher Price XP to Vista on the day it was released and I haven't looked back.

You have to remember one thing: Apple has done a very good job at making people think that Windows Vista is the source of all the problems with PCs. Most PC makers use low-cost components to be more competitive. If you scrutinized and spent as much on your hardware as Apple does, you'd get a pretty solid system.

Everyone wants to blame Microsoft and Vista for their problems but never their choice to buy crappy hardware.
10-31-2009, 05:26 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Check this out, it is just around the corner.

http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us&x=19&y=9&pr=lifecycle&scid=gp%3B[ln]%3Blifecycle
10-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I have been running Windows 7 RC1 on my notebook for several months now with zero problems. Now the RC is a public release candidate which means it will have more bugs/glitches/problems than the RTM (Release to manufacturing) which is what you can buy now on store shelves. Seeing how quick and stable Windows 7 RC is, I have no doubt that problems with Windows 7 will be quite limited.

I upgraded from Fisher Price XP to Vista on the day it was released and I haven't looked back.

You have to remember one thing: Apple has done a very good job at making people think that Windows Vista is the source of all the problems with PCs. Most PC makers use low-cost components to be more competitive. If you scrutinized and spent as much on your hardware as Apple does, you'd get a pretty solid system.

Everyone wants to blame Microsoft and Vista for their problems but never their choice to buy crappy hardware.
You are right. Be aware that before the end of next year, drivers for XP on new hardware items will more than likely not be written and available. As for software, if well written, it should keep working but some features may not be available. We have seen the same story with Win98 when ME came out but eventually XP ,which is simply an improvement on ME, solved many of ME's problems. In a few years, XP will be a thing of the past, so life goes on.
10-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I agree wholeheartedly! Most of the people who experience problems buy very cheap low end computers. I have built cheap systems for friends with components costing around $250 ( from New Egg ) that are superior to some of those low cost computers from dept. stores. I have seen things like the CD/DVD connected as a slave to the hard drive, BIOS set up wrong, wrong drivers, etc. They have cheap memory sticks, marginal power supplies, and on and on. The Pentium 4 system that I have had for 7 years is an upper end Gateway. It has an Intel ATX motherboard, Western Digital HD, Matsushita (Panasonic) CD and DVD drives, and Boston Acoustic speaker system and a 350 watt power supply. Nothing has ever failed on it although I have done some upgrading. I have installed new larger hard drive, upgraded to dual DVD RW's, and added an extra Gig of memory. Yes, you can buy a PC for under $500. Most times the customer won't be satisfied and it will have problems. Window's gets blamed for the cheap motherboards, BIOS issues, the intermittent memory failures, and unstable voltage from undersized power supplies. Apple controls everything in their computers from the hardware, BIOS, to the OS. Microsoft can't do that. It is the motherboard manufacturer who is responsible to install a compatable BIOS and the builder who is responsible to install the proper compatible components and set it all up. If it doesn't work they blame Windows.
10-31-2009, 07:20 PM   #30
Site Supporter

The biggest think about WinBlown upgrades is that there is always specialty software that gets left behind. I really don't like having to replace an $20,000-40,000 piece of equipment because Bill Gates farted. They haven't gotten a WinBlown right out of the gate yet. Every time bigger faster hardware comes out Microsux finds a way to choke it down.