11-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
haha

check it:

Student protest jams downtown streets - thestar.com

11-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #17
Damn Brit

Unfortunately American colleges don't care about the students, they're more interested in grant money.
They keep hiking the tuition fees and the students just get bigger loans.
Maybe one day the students will get organised again and try to do something about it.
11-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #18
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

i know atleast highschool for me was free (including the books), i believe this has changed now..
There is nothing free my friend. Someone paid for it.
11-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
There is nothing free my friend. Someone paid for it.
Yeah, my taxes, thank god!

Maybe you wouldnt have such a big issue with being taxed if said money actually went where its supposed to.

11-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #20
graphicgr8s

Yeah, my taxes, thank god!

Maybe you wouldnt have such a big issue with being taxed if said money actually went where its supposed to.
Don't think that will happen again in my lifetime. And probably not G4's either
11-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #21
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

EDIT: and its 2009, what library? The only time i go to my University library is to take a nap between classes, the 6th floor is quiet...

Let me address this small portion . . .
Yes it's 2009 and your library's come a long way baby. In my library we wouldn't have a 9 year old issue of Harper's Bazaar in hard copy. However, there is a very very good chance that our myriad of electronic resources, available online from anywhere with a library card from our system, would have that issue/article in digital format that one could download or email to one's self.

However, disseminating it broadly may still be a violation of copyright law. Pesky laws huh. Who wants their intellectual (or artistic for that matter) property taken and disseminated widely without permission (yes that was sarcasm).

Get a library card and check out what your library has to offer. It's probably way more than musty books these days.
11-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Let me address this small portion . . .
Yes it's 2009 and your library's come a long way baby. In my library we wouldn't have a 9 year old issue of Harper's Bazaar in hard copy. However, there is a very very good chance that our myriad of electronic resources, available online from anywhere with a library card from our system, would have that issue/article in digital format that one could download or email to one's self.

However, disseminating it broadly may still be a violation of copyright law. Pesky laws huh. Who wants their intellectual (or artistic for that matter) property taken and disseminated widely without permission (yes that was sarcasm).

Get a library card and check out what your library has to offer. It's probably way more than musty books these days.
The writers already got paid, what do they care?

11-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #23
mel
Veteran Member

The writers already got paid, what do they care?
There is fair use. Does this fall under that part of copyright law?
But honestly, if you downloaded it from a library's database and posted it here I doubt if the long arm of the law would be coming down on you.

If you give me the name of the article, and the year/issue of the mag I can see if I can get it from my library's resources and email it to you. What you do with it is your choice
11-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried my library but i'm not all too well versed (yet) in database lurking (its quite difficult actually)

one of the courses i'm currently taking is actually on Research Methods.. your help is appreciated

The American Rome
: On the Theory of the Virtuous Empire
Lewis H. Lapham
Harper's Magazine
August 2001

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
There is fair use. Does this fall under that part of copyright law?
But honestly, if you downloaded it from a library's database and posted it here I doubt if the long arm of the law would be coming down on you.

If you give me the name of the article, and the year/issue of the mag I can see if I can get it from my library's resources and email it to you. What you do with it is your choice
11-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #25
mel
Veteran Member

I tried my library but i'm not all too well versed (yet) in database lurking (its quite difficult actually)

one of the courses i'm currently taking is actually on Research Methods.. your help is appreciated

The American Rome
: On the Theory of the Virtuous Empire
Lewis H. Lapham
Harper's Magazine
August 2001
getting there. i have a slow connection . .
what's your email? pm me if you'd rather

okay i have it sitting here on my computer. i can email it your way.

Oh and one other thing, this is what i do for a living: Find stuff for people. If you ever need help with research I'm happy to help. Usually the librarians at the information/reference desk are most happy to help as well. Don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by mel; 11-05-2009 at 02:48 PM.
11-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

google books is scanning a tonne of books illegally, makes you wonder about all the copyright issues
11-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
google books is scanning a tonne of books illegally, makes you wonder about all the copyright issues
It's easier to engage in illegal activity when you have an army of lawyers on retainer.
11-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #28
Site Supporter

google is diabolical in the amount of information they collect on ever body and every thing. They make J. Edgar Hoover look like small potatoes.