Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&H shipping cost extraordinary

I've just been looking at the Sto-fen Omni-bounce.

At the Sto-fen web site the cost to ship to New Zealand is $7 by air mail.

At B&H the shipping is $46.25 to $90.60!

Crikey!

Oh - just checked Adorama: $55 - $85, bargain!

I'm not really complaining as obviously I wouldn't get one there, it's quite amusing though.

11-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote

Crikey!

I'm not really complaining as obviously I wouldn't get one there, it's quite amusing though.
Why so high?
11-06-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Why so high?
I was interested in buying Metz 58, Pentax grip for the K20D and one battery. Postage to Europe, arround 114$
11-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've heard that some people are still ahead paying those high shipping costs

11-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote

Crikey!

They make up for their low prices by raping you on shipping.
It's a fairly typical mail order scam. It's too bad these two companies are doing it. In my eyes, it makes them no better than the Brooklyn Cameras and other bait and screw companies.
I'm so happy I have a real camera store close by so I don't have to deal with this kind of crap.
11-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
They make up for their low prices by raping you on shipping.
It's a fairly typical mail order scam. It's too bad these two companies are doing it. In my eyes, it makes them no better than the Brooklyn Cameras and other bait and screw companies.
I'm so happy I have a real camera store close by so I don't have to deal with this kind of crap.
Isn't shipping inside US free?

Would you like to buy me something from that store?
11-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Rule number 1 in buying from mail order catalogues or online vendors is figure in the shipping charges before you buy that great "deal". You may find that buying it in a local store may be the better deal. International shipping is certain to be very high. Some companys advertise low prices and then charge a percentage of the purchase price for "shipping and handling". I have seen charges as much as 15% of an order for shipping and handling and that was domestic rates, not international.

11-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raoulzg Quote
Isn't shipping inside US free?

Would you like to buy me something from that store?
On some items. Actually, there shipping prices inside the U.S. are relatively competitive. However, I have seen prices relatively high from some places to the U.S. It cost me half as much to get something from Greece and Ireland as my last item from Canada from individuals.
11-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #9

In their defence, I'd like to add that preparing an overseas package requires a lot more time and paperwork than just shipping within the USA. I sell stuff on eBay and although I will ship overseas it is a real hassle.

I find the easiest and most reliable the US Postal Services International Priority Mail, but this requires a trip to the Post Office and the usual wait in line. Shipping with UPS or FedEx is less hassle but usually more expensive.

Mike
11-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
In their defence, I'd like to add that preparing an overseas package requires a lot more time and paperwork than just shipping within the USA. I sell stuff on eBay and although I will ship overseas it is a real hassle.

I find the easiest and most reliable the US Postal Services International Priority Mail, but this requires a trip to the Post Office and the usual wait in line. Shipping with UPS or FedEx is less hassle but usually more expensive.

Mike
All the extra work is putting their address on the Customs label, what it is, and how much it's worth...not too bad...

Priority postage is printable online. Next time you're in the Post Office, grab a Customs sticker or two. Print the postage at home, fill out the sticker, go in, drop it off. Actually, you might even be able to request free carrier pickup (but I'm not sure about international shipping). You can even get Priority boxes sent to your house for free...all combined, you never have to see the Post Office

I find that it takes longer since I pack everything way better if it's going out of the USA since it will be handled more and subsequently beat up more.
11-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
. . .
I find that it takes longer since I pack everything way better if it's going out of the USA since it will be handled more and subsequently beat up more.
You aren't kidding there. I got a box from Ireland recently that had the hell kicked out of it. Fortunately the person packed the lens in a smaller box and packed that in a medium sized box so it was fine.
11-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote

Mike
I just checked a small flash diffuser usng B&H's calculator.
$4.95 to ship to California
$25.55 to ship to my part of Canada
$40.60 (plus duties and VAT) to ship to Germany.

I then checked a similar item from Adorama.
Free shipping within USA, which is nominally an improvement over B&H
$33.05 to my part of Canada
$39.55 to Germany.

All this on a very small item costing less than $40.00.
I'm pretty sure these guys are making a pretty huge profit off the damned foreigners with their onerous shipping charges.
11-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I just checked a small flash diffuser usng B&H's calculator.
$4.95 to ship to California
$25.55 to ship to my part of Canada
$40.60 (plus duties and VAT) to ship to Germany.

I then checked a similar item from Adorama.
Free shipping within USA, which is nominally an improvement over B&H
$33.05 to my part of Canada
$39.55 to Germany.

All this on a very small item costing less than $40.00.
I'm pretty sure these guys are making a pretty huge profit off the damned foreigners with their onerous shipping charges
I wouldn't bet on it. Shipping from those places are fairly steep this direction as well even from individuals. I bet if you checked, the shipping isn't necessarily related to the cost of the item. That said, you can always order from Henry's.
11-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I wouldn't bet on it. Shipping from those places are fairly steep this direction as well even from individuals. I bet if you checked, the shipping isn't necessarily related to the cost of the item. That said, you can always order from Henry's.
As I said in my first post, I have a real camera store nearby. I rarely mail order anything.
11-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Lol and I'm crying about how B&H is charging me 26 for the umbrella kit that weighs 12 lbs that I just bought. Lol so 50 + 14 for the Sto-Fen omnibounce would be around 64 bucks for a piece of plastic, maybe it'd be better if you could design your own somehow.