Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #16
Forum Member

I have 8gb and Photoshop can easily eat it all up and completely chug... If you can get more than 8gb into your machine, go for it.

11-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianN Quote
I have 8gb and Photoshop can easily eat it all up and completely chug... If you can get more than 8gb into your machine, go for it.
Unfortunately, my MB tops out at 8GB (4x2). If money wasn't an object, I would buy a decent video card and also get an additional 4GB of RAM. However, money is an issue, so getting the most bang for the dollar is my top concern. Whether it is adding a $50-70 video card OR 4GB of RAM for $100-110.

Actually another thought - though my inexperience with PC's might show here (Until Spring, I was using Macs exclusively for the past 5 years). What about adding 2GB of RAM (2x1) and a video card? Probably be about the price of 4GB of RAM (~$100-115). Might be the best of both worlds. Would running 4 GB (2x2) dual channel RAM and 2 GB (2x1) be a performance issue? I assume the same brand would still be preferred? That gets me to 6GB - which should be more than enough and gets the graphics away from using the shared memory.
11-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
Not a bad idea. Although my MB can run two displays (one DVI and one VGA). Not sure, but I think I would see a bigger gain by $ with RAM.
I agree. Your motherboard is an AMD 780g chipset, and the integrated graphics are not nearly as CPU & memory bandwidth hungry as previous integrated solutions. You're probably using may 128mb or 256mb of your system RAM for graphics?

$110 still seems awfully steep for more RAM, especially for a discontinued platform. Heck, for around $350, you could get an AMD quadcore, new AM3 mobo & 8 GB RAM.
11-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
I agree. Your motherboard is an AMD 780g chipset, and the integrated graphics are not nearly as CPU & memory bandwidth hungry as previous integrated solutions. You're probably using may 128mb or 256mb of your system RAM for graphics?

$110 still seems awfully steep for more RAM, especially for a discontinued platform. Heck, for around $350, you could get an AMD quadcore, new AM3 mobo & 8 GB RAM.
OK. This is what I needed to hear. I thought $110 seemed outlandish. Hmmm....

11-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, my MB tops out at 8GB (4x2). If money wasn't an object, I would buy a decent video card and also get an additional 4GB of RAM. However, money is an issue, so getting the most bang for the dollar is my top concern. Whether it is adding a $50-70 video card OR 4GB of RAM for $100-110.

Actually another thought - though my inexperience with PC's might show here (Until Spring, I was using Macs exclusively for the past 5 years). What about adding 2GB of RAM (2x1) and a video card? Probably be about the price of 4GB of RAM (~$100-115). Might be the best of both worlds. Would running 4 GB (2x2) dual channel RAM and 2 GB (2x1) be a performance issue? I assume the same brand would still be preferred? That gets me to 6GB - which should be more than enough and gets the graphics away from using the shared memory.
Nope, using 2x1GB will not harm performance. There's a slight change that the memory timings might need to be relaxed just because all 4 memory slots would be full, but your mobo should handle that automatically.

99% of the time you don't need to stick with the same brand of RAM (unless it's something exotic), just the same speed, 1066 in your case.

If you get a new video card, there's no point in going for 1GB model if it isn't a high-performance card - the power simply isn't there to use all that RAM. 512mb is more than enough for just about everything other than high-res (1920x1200) gaming.
11-07-2009, 07:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nope, using 2x1GB will not harm performance. There's a slight change that the memory timings might need to be relaxed just because all 4 memory slots would be full, but your mobo should handle that automatically.

99% of the time you don't need to stick with the same brand of RAM (unless it's something exotic), just the same speed, 1066 in your case.

If you get a new video card, there's no point in going for 1GB model if it isn't a high-performance card - the power simply isn't there to use all that RAM. 512mb is more than enough for just about everything other than high-res (1920x1200) gaming.
I really appreciate the information. What would you do here? I'd prefer to spend as little as possible, but I'd like to alleviate the few bottlenecks that I do encounter from time to time. I am making the assumption that they are RAM related. No gaming, just photography related aps and Internet use.
11-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I really appreciate the information. What would you do here? I'd prefer to spend as little as possible, but I'd like to alleviate the few bottlenecks that I do encounter from time to time. I am making the assumption that they are RAM related. No gaming, just photography related aps and Internet use.
It's a tough call. I hate spending $$

When you say "bottlenecks", do you mean that your PC just starts to chug, taking forever to accomplish operations?

I guess, if you are determined to keep your system for another 12-18 months, I'd probably bite the bullet and buy the RAM... maybe

Edit: I just noticed you're location is Philly. Are you near the Microcenter?

11-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #23
Forum Member

You have to be careful with mixing memory stick sizes - double sided ram and single sided ram will play together, but the motherboard will downgrade to the slowest access 'speed'.

The price of ddr2 continues to climb as its production is being phased out in favour of ddr3...
11-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
Why not get a video card? I got this one. It's not bad for $45 - a video card with a gig of ram...fanless. It can run 2 displays with one running H.264 1080p and not put much of a load on the CPU (around 20%) - with purevideo of course. It will free up some of that shared memory.
I've got the same card. Have had no problems. Got hubby same one with a fan and have no problems with that either. When we aren't using the computers, the boys are on them playing games.
11-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's a tough call. I hate spending $$

When you say "bottlenecks", do you mean that your PC just starts to chug, taking forever to accomplish operations?

I guess, if you are determined to keep your system for another 12-18 months, I'd probably bite the bullet and buy the RAM... maybe

Edit: I just noticed you're location is Philly. Are you near the Microcenter?
I don't like spending money either! There have been a few times when the computer does noticeably slow down - I don't believe it is CPU related as they aren't at 100% when it occurs. The RAM does approach full capacity though. Again, not often, but it does occur from time to time. Maybe I am making more of this that it really is. Yes, I'd like to say I will be able to use this configuration for the next 12-18 months, but nothing is set in stone.

I don't know where the Microcenter is?

EDIT: For example, right now I am using Lightroom, iTunes, and FireFox. CPU usage goes between 25-75% (depending on what I am doing) and RAM is just under 60% at the moment. This would be considered 'normal' use to me. No real performance bottlenecks right now. If I throw in Lightzone and maybe PSE7, RAM use increases to about 65%-70% with no real impact on CPU usage.

Last edited by joeyc; 11-07-2009 at 08:29 AM.
11-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianN Quote
You have to be careful with mixing memory stick sizes - double sided ram and single sided ram will play together, but the motherboard will downgrade to the slowest access 'speed'.

The price of ddr2 continues to climb as its production is being phased out in favour of ddr3...
Meaning, if I put two sticks of 1GB RAM that is 800, the 2 sticks of 2GB RAM I already have will run at 800 instead of 1066? Would that make a big difference with how I am using the computer?
11-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
I've got the same card. Have had no problems. Got hubby same one with a fan and have no problems with that either. When we aren't using the computers, the boys are on them playing games.
Thanks for the input!
11-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Meaning, if I put two sticks of 1GB RAM that is 800, the 2 sticks of 2GB RAM I already have will run at 800 instead of 1066? Would that make a big difference with how I am using the computer?
Yup. The motherboard will manage this automatically.

There's almost no difference in performance, certainly nothing that's detectable.
11-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I don't like spending money either! There have been a few times when the computer does noticeably slow down - I don't believe it is CPU related as they aren't at 100% when it occurs. The RAM does approach full capacity though. Again, not often, but it does occur from time to time. Maybe I am making more of this that it really is. Yes, I'd like to say I will be able to use this configuration for the next 12-18 months, but nothing is set in stone.

I don't know where the Microcenter is?

EDIT: For example, right now I am using Lightroom, iTunes, and FireFox. CPU usage goes between 25-75% (depending on what I am doing) and RAM is just under 60% at the moment. This would be considered 'normal' use to me. No real performance bottlenecks right now. If I throw in Lightzone and maybe PSE7, RAM use increases to about 65%-70% with no real impact on CPU usage.
Hmm, checkout Microcenter.com, and select store locations. Here's the address it gives: St. Davids Square, 550 East Lancaster Avenue, St. Davids, PA 19087

It's a big "computer superstore", kinda similar to Newegg.com, except it's a physical store. On some items they match/beat Newegg's prices.

The most memory I ever recall using on my PC is about 5.5GB. That was with media player, firefox, photoshop cs4 (3 or 4 images) and picasa all open. I don't use more than 1 or 2 layers in Photoshop, so that keep RAM usage down. Since my machine has 8GB of RAM, I have 3GB set as a RAMdisk for Photoshop's usage.

Another thought is to join a Tech Community like Anandtech.com and/or Hardocp.com. Besides the usual interesting technology info and debates, they have very active marketplaces where geeks buy and sell stuff. You might be able to nab some RAM there at a good price.
11-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, checkout Microcenter.com, and select store locations. Here's the address it gives: St. Davids Square, 550 East Lancaster Avenue, St. Davids, PA 19087

It's a big "computer superstore", kinda similar to Newegg.com, except it's a physical store. On some items they match/beat Newegg's prices.

The most memory I ever recall using on my PC is about 5.5GB. That was with media player, firefox, photoshop cs4 (3 or 4 images) and picasa all open. I don't use more than 1 or 2 layers in Photoshop, so that keep RAM usage down. Since my machine has 8GB of RAM, I have 3GB set as a RAMdisk for Photoshop's usage.

Another thought is to join a Tech Community like Anandtech.com and/or Hardocp.com. Besides the usual interesting technology info and debates, they have very active marketplaces where geeks buy and sell stuff. You might be able to nab some RAM there at a good price.
Oh OK - St Davids is actually about 10 minutes away from me. May be worth checking out - thanks!

I appreciate the info on Anandtech - definitely a lot of info and I can see the buy and sell forums get a lot of play. That may be the best way to go. I appreciate it and all of your help so far!