Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2009, 05:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Overwhelmingly?

From On Top Magazine:

"House members overwhelmingly approved a health care reform bill Saturday that recognizes gay unions and makes health care more affordable for gay families."

Since when does a razor-thin margin of 3 votes (out of 435) constitute "overwhelming" approval?

I'll save RML the trouble, though it is no doubt an exercise in futility, by pointing out up front I don't give a damn about the gay part of this. It is the self-serving blatant twisting of language exemplified by the misuse of "overwhelmingly" that boggles my mind and insults my intelligence.

It's not enough to celebrate something breaking one's way? They have to try to pass off a 0.7% margin of victory as "overwhelming"? I suppose they thought leaving out any mention of the actual vote total would help perpetuate the ruse.

Good thing we can always count on left-leaning media outlets not to engage in such subterfuges as bias and misinformation.

11-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Good thing we can always count on left-leaning media outlets not to engage in such subterfuges as bias and misinformation.
Trust no one.

BTW, it's a GLBT publication. I mean, use some common sense - what do you expect them to say? Any publication that has an agenda will promote it with exaggeration and hyperbole, whether it's NatGeo or Hustler.

The whole "left-leaning media bias" thing is getting pretty old.

Last edited by flippedgazelle; 11-09-2009 at 07:16 AM.
11-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

...................Since when does a razor-thin margin of 3 votes (out of 435) constitute "overwhelming" approval?........................
When you are a liberal, or the mainstream media (po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe) and you are for the issue, 1 vote can be a landslide, or a mandate, or any other hyperbolic word or phrase you want to use. Conservative issues that pass by a 2:1 margin however "narrowly pass", or "squeak by".
11-09-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
Trust no one.

BTW, it's a GLBT publication. I mean, use some common sense - what do you expect them to say? Any publication that has an agenda will promote it with exaggeration and hyperbole, whether it's NatGeo or Hustler.

Yes indeed.

11-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

.................The whole "left-leaning media bias" thing is getting pretty old.
It sure the hell is! Oh, wait, you were probably talking about the complaining about it and not the actual bias that has existed for the last 40 years, huh?
11-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You guys are such poor losers, but what else can you do? You keep getting defeated at every turn and still don't "get it". And...a win is still a win, regardless of the numbers. Get in touch with ordinary Americans for a change and you might have some success. 18% of Americans is not enough to get you where you want to go.
Biased reporting.....that would be your FIX News, propoganda branch of the Republican party. That little group that met on the steps of Congress last week to protest Obamacare....you know, just a "grass roots" impromptu get together at high noon.....FIX put the numbers at over one million! You gotta be proud of their accuracy! No wonder you guys are always confused.
Regards!
11-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

according to the link that you provided, if you are a Democrat, and if On Top Magazine is a democrat targeted publication, then indeed, it was an overwhelming approval of 219 to 39 votes.

on a funny note, do you think that single Republican that voted Yes is gay? haha.

From On Top Magazine:

"House members overwhelmingly approved a health care reform bill Saturday that recognizes gay unions and makes health care more affordable for gay families."

Since when does a razor-thin margin of 3 votes (out of 435) constitute "overwhelming" approval?

I'll save RML the trouble, though it is no doubt an exercise in futility, by pointing out up front I don't give a damn about the gay part of this. It is the self-serving blatant twisting of language exemplified by the misuse of "overwhelmingly" that boggles my mind and insults my intelligence.

It's not enough to celebrate something breaking one's way? They have to try to pass off a 0.7% margin of victory as "overwhelming"? I suppose they thought leaving out any mention of the actual vote total would help perpetuate the ruse.

11-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Gay Republican? Pure blasphemy! We all know Republicans are the party of moral values and pure as fresh snow in Antartica. Just the other day I heard of that little Carrie Prejean "polishing her crown" of high standards. And that Carolina hiker boy...and the men's room toe tapper...and ....not enough room here to list all the fine moral leaders the Republicans give us unholy Democrats as examples to live by. How could you say such a thing about one of their fine members? Anyhow, as everyone knows, Republicans embrace gays and lesbians with passion....anyhow, that's what they say.....
Regards
11-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Heh, I dunno, seems some people are pretty overwhelmed by the 'three votes. '
11-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
according to the link that you provided, if you are a Democrat, and if On Top Magazine is a democrat targeted publication, then indeed, it was an overwhelming approval of 219 to 39 votes.

on a funny note, do you think that single Republican that voted Yes is gay? haha.
220-215 was the actual vote. Obviously many Democrats voted AGAINTS Pelosi care.
11-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Wait until all of the mandates and government control starts hitting these sheeple from 2013 and beyond. I don't know why so many people are chomping at the bits to be dependents of the government. When they have everyone's medical records digitized and centralized and control the system, you will do what they say. That's unless this silly shit gets shut down by the Senate.

It turns out that AARP had a hidden agenda which is called Medagap. Go figure. They stand to make a fortune if this thing goes through.
11-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
graphicgr8s

Blue, haven't I said in many, many posts to ALWAYS follow the money whether healhcare or "global warming" you have to (everyone repeat after me) FOLLOW THE MONEY.

How to control a country.

Step 1 Take over banking - Done
Step 2 Take over major industry - Done
Step 3 Take over healthcare - In the works.

Don't need any more steps you now have total control. You can put the Constitution in mothballs.

So much for the Big O and 72 hours to look at the "bill"

President Pelosi
11-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
Damn Brit

It's the media, it doesn't matter about the political bias, the media exaggerates.
11-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Any [person] that has an agenda will promote it with exaggeration and hyperbole,

That's comedy...
11-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Blue, haven't I said in many, many posts to ALWAYS follow the money whether healhcare or "global warming" you have to (everyone repeat after me) FOLLOW THE MONEY.

How to control a country.

Step 1 Take over banking - Done
Step 2 Take over major industry - Done
Step 3 Take over healthcare - In the works.

Don't need any more steps you now have total control. You can put the Constitution in mothballs.

So much for the Big O and 72 hours to look at the "bill"

President Pelosi

Oh brother. the auto industry does not constitute "Industry"

"...will promote it with exaggeration and hyperbole..."
Closed Thread