Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
'Road trains' get ready to roll

'Road trains' get ready to roll
Road trains that link vehicles together using wireless sensors could soon be on European roads.

An EU-financed research project is looking at inexpensive ways of getting vehicles to travel in a 'platoon' on Europe's motorways.

Each road train could include up to eight separate vehicles - cars, buses and trucks will be mixed in each one.

The EU hopes to cut fuel consumption, journey times and congestion by linking vehicles together.

Early work on the idea suggests that fuel consumption could be cut by 20% among those cars and trucks travelling behind the lead vehicle.

Spanish trials

The lead vehicle would be handled by a professional driver who would monitor the status of the road train. Those in following vehicles could take their hands off the wheel, read a book or watch TV, while they travel along the motorway. Their vehicle would be controlled by the lead vehicle.

Funded under the European Commission's Framework 7 research plan, Sartre (Safe Road Trains for the Environment) is aimed at commuters in cars who travel long distances to work every day but will also look at ways to involve commercial vehicles.

Tom Robinson, project co-ordinator at engineering firm Ricardo, said the idea was to use off-the-shelf components to make it possible for cars, buses and trucks to join the road train.

"The goal is to try and introduce a step change in transport methods," he said.

"We're looking at what it would take to get platooning on public highways without making big changes to the public highways themselves," said Mr Robinson.

A system that involved wiring up motorways with sensors to help control the road trains would be prohibitively expensive, he said.

"Each of the vehicles will have their own control and software monitoring system," said Mr Robinson. "There may well be a platoon sensor envelope that collates information and presents it to the lead vehicle so it can understand what is happening around all the vehicles."

The idea is to make platoons active so vehicles can join and leave as they need. Mr Robinson speculated that those joining a platoon or road train may one day pay for the privilege of someone else effectively driving them closer to their destination.

Sartre will run for three years. The project partners are currently doing preliminary research to find out all the elements needed for a working system and the situations in which it might be used.

There were also behavioural elements to consider, said Mr Robinson, such as whether all the vehicles will need to have their hazard lights on while in a platoon.

Also, he said, there had to be a way to ensure the vehicles in a platoon are organised to make drivers feel safe.

"Car drivers do not want to be between trucks," he said.

Towards the end of the research project trials will be held on test tracks in the UK, Spain and Sweden. There are also plans for public road trials in Spain. The first platoon will involve two trucks and three cars.

From The BBC News.

11-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It may work out fine in Europe, but that would be a Lawyer's dream here in the U.S. Anytime there was an accident there would be a whole new crop of people to sue.
Besides the driver of the vehicle you could sue the driver of the "train", the company he worked for, the people that manufactured the electronics,
the people that installed the electronics, the people who installed the roadway sensors, .....................................
I can almost hear the T.V. commercials already. "Hello. Have you or someone you love been injured or killed in a road train accident?
If so, call the law firm of Ambidexter, Stickem, and Shister today at 1-800-AMBCHASE
11-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
graphicgr8s

More ways for the government to control you.
11-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I actually saw some early tests on that system 20 or more years ago, on TV.

It might be good for big trucks, however for passenger cars a better transit system would be more environmentally sound.

11-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, this is a neat idea that's been waiting around for technology to catch up for a while.

I wonder if the technology's really gotten there. I think I'd really have trouble trusting the automation, but something like that could really help me get around. Every time I want to go any distance, I have to worry about if I'll have enough energy to drive home safely: (or even if I'll have enough left to do what I did the driving for.) Turning those highway stretches into 'a place and time to rest' would really mean a lot of freedom of movement for me, and a lot more I could get done in a day. (In the unlikely event I could afford a car so-equipped in the first place. )

It'd be weird for me to try and take my hands off the wheel, though. I'm not sure how I'd adapt to that idea.

I like actual trains on rails, though.
11-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
..............It'd be weird for me to try and take my hands off the wheel, though. I'm not sure how I'd adapt to that idea.
I don't like being a passenger in the passenger seat, I think it would be just about unbearable to be a passenger in the driver's seat.

Two old ladies went shopping one day.
A few blocks from the house they went through a red light.
A few blocks later, same thing. Didn't even slow down.
The one in the passenger seat yelled: "Martha! That is the second red light you've run in
less than 5 minutes."
Martha looked around and said. "Oh! Am I driving?
11-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It's a neat idea, but for now I would think it would be limited to research. If the road trains use public highways, how would that impact safety? Does it need additional startup and braking distance? How much would it slow down transportation for everyone on the highway?

The big worry would be adding trucks. At least with railways, it's obvious who pays for rail maintenance. There are limits on the size of trucks partly due to the impact they have on road surfaces. I'd hate to see this lead to increases in this size, which could result in more taxes to pay for road maintenance.

11-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Since I was a kid I've been wondering if someone would come along with something like this... or even roads with embedded electromagnets that could be used to propel/stop vehicles by remote.
11-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Since I was a kid I've been wondering if someone would come along with something like this... or even roads with embedded electromagnets that could be used to propel/stop vehicles by remote.
And you really want to trust someone else, or worse yet a computer to stop you?
11-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Haven't you heard?...everything is perfect in Windows 7....I'm sure it wouldn't "crash"
11-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
It's a neat idea, but for now I would think it would be limited to research. If the road trains use public highways, how would that impact safety? Does it need additional startup and braking distance? How much would it slow down transportation for everyone on the highway?

The big worry would be adding trucks. At least with railways, it's obvious who pays for rail maintenance. There are limits on the size of trucks partly due to the impact they have on road surfaces. I'd hate to see this lead to increases in this size, which could result in more taxes to pay for road maintenance.
I don't see how it would lead to bigger trucks, as such, though. I'm pretty sure the size they have now is pretty much down to a science.

I presume that the system would actually be made to be safer than we are from driver error and fatigue now. With pretty conservative maneuvering and lots of safeguards. To a rational estimation, safer, anyway. How to make me *feel* that way might be another matter.
11-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #12
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Haven't you heard?...everything is perfect in Windows 7....I'm sure it wouldn't "crash"...
Hey, they're running war ships on Windows too!

Windows for Warships nears frontline service ? The Register

"Enemy? Wait a moment, I need to boot this boat."

A new meaning to the blue screen of death.
11-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I trust other drivers on the road every day. I think that's probably a lot more dangerous.
11-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I trust other drivers on the road every day. I think that's probably a lot more dangerous.
Heehee. Very likely. Sometimes our sense of control out there is pretty illusory. But the way I do so much by incorporating a sense of feel, (kinesthetics) I think it's a little hard to let go of the idea. (Once we rented a vehicle which turned out to be with a computerized traction control system in it, ...I was concerned it would get something wrong or something. (Yes, we tried it anyway) )

I've always described myself here as a *really analog* person. It applies here. I'd still prefer a standard transmission if not for the arthritis. I bet I could adapt, though, if it meant being able to go where I'd be otherwise dubious about being able to. )
11-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It may work out fine in Europe
They're use to the government controlling almost every aspect of their lives already.