Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Facebook Status Update Clears Teen From Criminal Charges

Facebook Status Update Clears Teen From Criminal Charges - Crime - Gizmodo

11-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

slowly but sureley all personal information about what we do and where we are with anything connected to the internet will be tracked and recorded
11-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
its already tracked and recorded

just dont do anything stupid on the internet..
11-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I both laugh and cry when I hear stories about people losing their jobs (or getting turned down for jobs,) because they've not figured out what a social network page is, like it's so unfair that their employer checked a public page the person voluntarily put up and saw the photo of them holding a bong in one hand and a quarter ounce of dope in the other. And written, "lol, told boss i wuz sick 2 day."

That, and it shits me how we're all supposed to have Myspace/Facebook pages.

11-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote

The better for them to keep track of us and whatnot.
11-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I both laugh and cry when I hear stories about people losing their jobs (or getting turned down for jobs,) because they've not figured out what a social network page is, like it's so unfair that their employer checked a public page the person voluntarily put up and saw the photo of them holding a bong in one hand and a quarter ounce of dope in the other. And written, "lol, told boss i wuz sick 2 day."

Why should we have one? Is life any different when having a Facebook page? Or do people look at us differently for not having one?

Last edited by Ash; 11-12-2009 at 07:34 PM.
11-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have a web-page

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Is life any different without a Facebook page? Or do people look at us differently for not having one?
Don't have a Facebook page, but I have a personal "Business Profile Page" on my company's website and I pay for Google Promotion.

I get recruited at least once a week at work - the calls are very intrusive. I always say I am happy where I am. Recruiters imply one must be stupid not to want to hear the latest signing bonus deal.

When called by a "Headhunter" I always ask, "Where did you find my name and number?' Yesterday the dude actually answered.

He said, "You have a web-page."
11-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
facebook is like a little personal organizer that others *could* follow

also if you have the right friends, it becomes a really good hub for "finding out weird crap", since everyone is posting everything that they find or that others have posted, the speed at which you assimilate new things is staggering.

11-13-2009, 01:57 AM   #9
Damn Brit

They didn't believe his parents but they believed Facebook. I smell racial profiling.
11-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I tried not to have a Facebook profile for a while, but when I started work at the magazine I'm currently with my boss insisted under the pretense that "You might be missing out on events we should be attending... get back on there."

Now I simply say 'maybe' to all events so they show up on the calendar, and check my inbox once a day. Otherwise, bugger it. I don't want to share personal info with people some of whom I only sort of know, and I don't want to see people's personal highlights reels either. Plus... I've got a healthy fear of 'the man'.
11-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
Pentaxian

With all the negative stories about Facebook and similar sites it's nice to see something positive come from it. I work nights and weekends so I have more positive feelings about Facebook than others because it allows me to stay in touch with people I don't often see any more. With Facebook, I'm no longer the guy who just "disappeared".

Gary, you nailed that one right on the head. When his parents said he was home, it should have ended right there.

For you folks who don't know..Everything we do on our computers and every site we go to is recorded somewhere and it has been that way for long time. Your Facebook page is like a billboard on the highway.
11-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Gary, you nailed that one right on the head. When his parents said he was home, it should have ended right there.

For you folks who don't know..Everything we do on our computers and every site we go to is recorded somewhere and it has been that way for long time. Your Facebook page is like a billboard on the highway.
Yup I agree that Gary got this one right.
As for things recorded, Google has that nicely covered in their vaults of information. Every time you have ever used their pages, it's been recorded forever.
11-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have my facebook set to private and the majority of my 'friends' are my family.
11-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
I have my facebook set to private and the majority of my 'friends' are my family.
have you bothered to read Facebooks fine print.

pretty much everything that you put on there becomes their property.
11-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote
I tried not to have a Facebook profile for a while, but when I started work at the magazine I'm currently with my boss insisted under the pretense that "You might be missing out on events we should be attending... get back on there."

Now I simply say 'maybe' to all events so they show up on the calendar, and check my inbox once a day. Otherwise, bugger it. I don't want to share personal info with people some of whom I only sort of know, and I don't want to see people's personal highlights reels either. Plus... I've got a healthy fear of 'the man'.
They changed on how you see others posts now. You can pick and choose what and who you want to see on the Home page. They changed it to compete with Twitter. And I hate Twitter.