Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
Facebook Status Update Clears Teen From Criminal Charges

Facebook Status Update Clears Teen From Criminal Charges - Crime - Gizmodo

11-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,915
slowly but sureley all personal information about what we do and where we are with anything connected to the internet will be tracked and recorded
11-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
Original Poster
its already tracked and recorded

just dont do anything stupid on the internet..
11-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, AUS
Posts: 3,262
I both laugh and cry when I hear stories about people losing their jobs (or getting turned down for jobs,) because they've not figured out what a social network page is, like it's so unfair that their employer checked a public page the person voluntarily put up and saw the photo of them holding a bong in one hand and a quarter ounce of dope in the other. And written, "lol, told boss i wuz sick 2 day."

That, and it shits me how we're all supposed to have Myspace/Facebook pages.

11-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian
er1kksen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Forestville, NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,789
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote

That, and it shits me how we're all supposed to have Myspace/Facebook pages.
The better for them to keep track of us and whatnot.
11-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,620
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I both laugh and cry when I hear stories about people losing their jobs (or getting turned down for jobs,) because they've not figured out what a social network page is, like it's so unfair that their employer checked a public page the person voluntarily put up and saw the photo of them holding a bong in one hand and a quarter ounce of dope in the other. And written, "lol, told boss i wuz sick 2 day."

That, and it shits me how we're all supposed to have Myspace/Facebook pages.
Why should we have one? Is life any different when having a Facebook page? Or do people look at us differently for not having one?

Last edited by Ash; 11-12-2009 at 07:34 PM.
11-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Working From Home
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,237
You have a web-page

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Is life any different without a Facebook page? Or do people look at us differently for not having one?
Don't have a Facebook page, but I have a personal "Business Profile Page" on my company's website and I pay for Google Promotion.

I get recruited at least once a week at work - the calls are very intrusive. I always say I am happy where I am. Recruiters imply one must be stupid not to want to hear the latest signing bonus deal.

When called by a "Headhunter" I always ask, "Where did you find my name and number?' Yesterday the dude actually answered.

He said, "You have a web-page."
11-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
Original Poster
facebook is like a little personal organizer that others *could* follow

also if you have the right friends, it becomes a really good hub for "finding out weird crap", since everyone is posting everything that they find or that others have posted, the speed at which you assimilate new things is staggering.

11-13-2009, 01:57 AM   #9
Damn Brit
Guest




They didn't believe his parents but they believed Facebook. I smell racial profiling.
11-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member
LensScribe's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 316
I tried not to have a Facebook profile for a while, but when I started work at the magazine I'm currently with my boss insisted under the pretense that "You might be missing out on events we should be attending... get back on there."

Now I simply say 'maybe' to all events so they show up on the calendar, and check my inbox once a day. Otherwise, bugger it. I don't want to share personal info with people some of whom I only sort of know, and I don't want to see people's personal highlights reels either. Plus... I've got a healthy fear of 'the man'.
11-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,870
With all the negative stories about Facebook and similar sites it's nice to see something positive come from it. I work nights and weekends so I have more positive feelings about Facebook than others because it allows me to stay in touch with people I don't often see any more. With Facebook, I'm no longer the guy who just "disappeared".

Gary, you nailed that one right on the head. When his parents said he was home, it should have ended right there.

For you folks who don't know..Everything we do on our computers and every site we go to is recorded somewhere and it has been that way for long time. Your Facebook page is like a billboard on the highway.
11-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,644
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Gary, you nailed that one right on the head. When his parents said he was home, it should have ended right there.

For you folks who don't know..Everything we do on our computers and every site we go to is recorded somewhere and it has been that way for long time. Your Facebook page is like a billboard on the highway.
Yup I agree that Gary got this one right.
As for things recorded, Google has that nicely covered in their vaults of information. Every time you have ever used their pages, it's been recorded forever.
11-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member
MJB DIGITAL's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: st. louis
Posts: 1,170
I have my facebook set to private and the majority of my 'friends' are my family.
11-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
I have my facebook set to private and the majority of my 'friends' are my family.
have you bothered to read Facebooks fine print.

pretty much everything that you put on there becomes their property.
11-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #15
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southeast MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 367
QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote
I tried not to have a Facebook profile for a while, but when I started work at the magazine I'm currently with my boss insisted under the pretense that "You might be missing out on events we should be attending... get back on there."

Now I simply say 'maybe' to all events so they show up on the calendar, and check my inbox once a day. Otherwise, bugger it. I don't want to share personal info with people some of whom I only sort of know, and I don't want to see people's personal highlights reels either. Plus... I've got a healthy fear of 'the man'.
They changed on how you see others posts now. You can pick and choose what and who you want to see on the Home page. They changed it to compete with Twitter. And I hate Twitter.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
charges, facebook, facebook status, status
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teen motorcycle racer killed at Indy jogiba General Talk 25 09-06-2010 10:13 AM
It is Official. Obama is a War Criminal! Artesian General Talk 190 04-05-2010 06:51 AM
How many charges for K10D battery Green_Manelishi Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 7 01-13-2010 02:12 PM
BC residents please keep your eyes open for this missing teen little laker General Talk 0 02-29-2008 01:58 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top