Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A Great Idea For School Fundraising!

This is what it has come down to:
QuoteQuote:
Cash-Strapped School Is Actually Selling Higher Grades To Its Students

Get ready to be blown off your chair: Rosewood Middle School of Goldsboro, North Carolina is selling students grade points for $20. A donation to the school of said amount will buy the student 20 test points that a student can use on two tests of their choosing.
Susie Shepherd, the principal, said a parent advisory council came up with the idea, and she endorsed it. She said the council was looking for a new way to raise money.

"Last year they did chocolates, and it didn't generate anything," Shepherd said.

Shepherd rejected the suggestion that the school is selling grades. Extra points on two tests won't make a difference in a student's final grade, she said.

Needless to say, state education officials and parents alike were none to pleased.
That's the whole article but here's the link if you want it.

The most disturbing thing that they haven't touched on is that North Carolina started a state lottery just a couple of years ago to fight this problem. Where's that money going?

11-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
WTF?!?!?!

Almost as bad as papal indulgences.
11-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Let's see how fast this is tied in to Obama...

Jas
11-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

haha, idiots..

11-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm....I wonder if I could buy some points on my photos? Some over in the Gallery get a star or two, sometimes a little more. Would anyone be interested in a little cash or maybe a fine lens or two for a romp through my Gallery adding stars?
Over at the PentaxFlickr site I recently "contributed" to the Judge of a Challenge and surprise! I won! This could generate some much needed cash for someone while also stimulating my very fragile ego. I hope I don't get an "Infraction Warning" for this.....I couldn't find any rule against soliciting for those little stars.
Regards
Rupert
11-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I remember when one guy signed up a few months ago, and he specifically said he wasn't here to hang around, just to flog some stuff in the marketplace.

But he'd made a donation to the site....and he got a special welcome from someone who's a big deal in this forum's hierarchy and who never normally bothers to reply to the Introduction posts.

And it was a longish reply, too. Not just "Welcome, nice to have you," it ran for several paragraphs "I hope you'll find the forum very satisfactory, and am glad to have you aboard, and if you need anything..." &c, &c.

Here's my deal: I'll donate to the site when a) we fired all but about three of the mods, and b) we stop adding new forums every thirteen seconds.
11-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote

The most disturbing thing that they haven't touched on is that North Carolina started a state lottery just a couple of years ago to fight this problem. Where's that money going?
Our new governer Bev Perdue (Democrat) changed the way lottery money is handled. Money from the "education" lottery now goes into the general fund.
She has also instituted "sin taxes" on alcohol and tobacco products. After Jan 1 2010 alot of bars will be going out of business because smoking in bars and restaurants will be banned.

11-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Our new governer Bev Perdue (Democrat) changed the way lottery money is handled. Money from the "education" lottery now goes into the general fund.
She has also instituted "sin taxes" on alcohol and tobacco products. After Jan 1 2010 alot of bars will be going out of business because smoking in bars and restaurants will be banned.
smoking has been banned in bars and restaurants here in Toronto for 8 years now, unless you have an open roof patio.

and guess what, things are still booming.

and even though i'm a smoker, i'm very glad that i can have a drink and eat my food in a fresh room.

if you feel like a smoke, GO OUTSIDE.
11-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Well, no takers? Just a few little stars......won't take long. Name your price!
11-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #10

Bad idea - even though 20 points would not likely make a huge difference in the course of a year, it still sends the wrong message. When I saw the thread name I expected to read about a creative way to use photography to raise money for schools.
Now I'm wondering if I could sell inexpensive portraits at the next dance as a way to raise money for the Mock Trial team? Anyone ever tried?
11-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Lotteries tend to be sold on the basis they'll pay for education, then when people don't want to pay taxes, they end up having to get looted to keep the state running.

Same with a lot of 'sin taxes:' these are used to claim they are funding various programs at the levels you'd see if they didn't deter their own revenue source, thus causing those (usually 'librul' ) programs to fall short of the promised budget.

With tobacco, of course, this does have other benefits, since it does seem to reduce smoking, but it does tend to choke its own revenue stream, as well as meaning the poorest people who tend to pay the most of these taxes just have less money to spend in their local economies. It's one of the few taxes a government can 'sell,' though.

Basically, the lottery and such 'sin taxes' are regressive in economic impact, and you bet it affects small business. Last I was through North Carolina, though, tobacco was taxed a whole lot less than anyone else, (Cause they have big tobacco there) so they've been behind the usual, anyway.

As for selling grades, WTF. That's just wrong on so many levels.

How bout funding the schools rather than hitting the kids up for their lunch money?

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-12-2009 at 11:30 AM.
11-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess lotteries for most states end up being like social security to congress.
11-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I am to understand that the school system in america has a weird funding algorithem

regional/district schools are funded by their respective district funds, which means a low income area will have a poorly funded school.

am i correct?
11-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
I am to understand that the school system in america has a weird funding algorithem

regional/district schools are funded by their respective district funds, which means a low income area will have a poorly funded school.

am i correct?
Yep. It's almost like a perpetual-motion machine...
11-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
smoking has been banned in bars and restaurants here in Toronto for 8 years now, unless you have an open roof patio.

and guess what, things are still booming.

and even though i'm a smoker, i'm very glad that i can have a drink and eat my food in a fresh room.

if you feel like a smoke, GO OUTSIDE.
I agree 100% in regards to places that serve food or have live entertainment. It is the small neighborhood "blue collar" or "working man's " bars that will suffer. Provisions were made for upscale cigar bars but none for the little bar on the corner.I think that the small bar owners should have been given the choice to go smokeless or not based on the desires of their customers.
Alot of small privately owned bars have neither the land or improvement capital to build an outside smoking lounge and will go under.