Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can turn off "Automatic Updates"...just like the "Access Permission" popups that people attribute to Windows sucking

11-13-2009, 12:01 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
one of my university courses had its final exam on computers
and during the exam all of the computers had to restart to install windows update

you'd think you'd be able to tell it to hold off jus for a while
You can. And any IT organisation that sets windows update to run automatically like that should be boiled in oil. Slowly. Or at least fired. Immediately.

Set it so that it alerts you that there's an update available and only downloads when you say so.

Control Panel, Security Center (sic), click on "Manage security options for: Automatic Updates". Select "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them".

Don't install the downloads automatically. Always take the option to customise the install. Check on the web to see if there are any problems before you let any of the available updates install. If it's an out-of-schedule emergency update for security reasons, it's probably a good idea to install it asap.

Be paranoid at all times
11-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
You can turn off "Automatic Updates"...just like the "Access Permission" popups that people attribute to Windows sucking
As far as I knew, my auto updates were off, but somehow Windows still managed to sneak in a notice that updates are available if you just ignore them. Guess I will have to kill the system entirely.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As far as I knew, my auto updates were off, but somehow Windows still managed to sneak in a notice that updates are available if you just ignore them. Guess I will have to kill the system entirely.
I believe there's 2 options: One is simply turning off notifications, the other is actually disabling auto downloads like Richard alluded to.

My laptop's Action Center currently has something waiting called "Check for solutions to unreported problems" I'll get right on that

11-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some time ago (months?) there was a problem with XP where the choices you got at shutdown were limited if you had downloaded but not installed some automatic updates e.g. if you had automatic updates set to download but not update. It wouldn't let you re-boot (or maybe it was shutdown completely - I'm going from memory here) unless you installed the updates. It looks like that's been fixed.

The same problem was in a Win7 beta or release candidate. I haven't looked at the production release.
11-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Some time ago (months?) there was a problem with XP where the choices you got at shutdown were limited if you had downloaded but not installed some automatic updates e.g. if you had automatic updates set to download but not update. It wouldn't let you re-boot (or maybe it was shutdown completely - I'm going from memory here) unless you installed the updates. It looks like that's been fixed.

The same problem was in a Win7 beta or release candidate. I haven't looked at the production release.
Yep! XP and 7 RC both have that issue. You can "shut down and install updates" and that's it for a shut down option (it has a little yellow icon next to the normal icon).

Oh well. And I should have clarified an earlier post of mine: There is also an option to only install urgent updates, like security related ones
11-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #37
Veteran Member

What really annoyed me was when I couldn't get rid of this updater thing which would, just about at the end of my evening, come on every five minutes and say, 'We're restarting your machine unless you hit cancel in the next few minutes.' No option to say. 'How about... No.' You'd have to either drop what you were doing or pay constant attention if you didn't want to lose your place in umpteen things.

It seems they got rid of that eventually.

11-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Ugh I hate that...

On Win7, you can tell them to postpone it up to 4 hours at a time, and it won't restart itself anymore.
11-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Ugh I hate that...

On Win7, you can tell them to postpone it up to 4 hours at a time, and it won't restart itself anymore.
My old Mac has the opposite problem, though, about the only time she'll ask for a confirmation on anything is a few minutes after you hit shutdown. And are out the door, go out, go to bed, go back into that room next and find that she's waiting for you to say 'OK, shut down yesterday,' ....and then you *can't* say, 'Oh, just forget about it.' What's the point of *asking* if you can't say 'no?'
11-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I've been pretty lucky with Windows updates I guess, none of them has ever crashed my computer. I have had some issues with other updates which caused some serious problems, Adobe Reader in particular. That damn program decided to take over my computer one day while I was in the middle of doing my taxes when it forced an update on me after I clicked "no" or "update later" or whatever the prompt was. It updated and began installing and my computer locked up. I lost all my work on the tax program and had to start over. I was pissed and removed Adobe Reader from my hard drive. I got done with my taxes and guess what? The tax program forced me to install Adobe Reader again. I have another computer with Ubuntu on it and I get an update notification that updates are available but it never force feeds it and that's the way updates should be.