Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #31
Veteran Member

The worst ones recently are those Dodge Ram "my tank is full" ads.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RjIPS8xIRQ[/yt]

Such patronizing bullshit.

I'd rather have a hundred of those ads with overgrown frat boys driving Rams through exploding barns, horrible as those were.

11-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Only good part about the Ram commercials are the parodies

Now that's thinkin with your dipstick, Jimmy!
11-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I just saw that.......LOL!!
11-18-2009, 07:07 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Just heard another one this morning, this time on the radio in the car, which really bugs me...

I don't even remember what they we pitching but it started out with a steadily rising SIREN... think police or ambulance here... I spent most of the commercial trying to figure out where the emergency vehicle was and if I needed to get out of the way before I realized it was on the radio.

THESE should be ILLEGAL!

Mike

11-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Pioneers

Pioneers, Oh Pioneers...

The recent Levi commercials...

Actually, I love the poem. And it IS a poem.

Written by Walt Whitman, first published in “Drum-Taps,” 1865, and now found in perhaps his most famous collection, Leaves of Grass.

What I HATE about this commercial is that there is no attribution. It is like all the commercials that have gone to dead copyright music. Now they are going to works of literature?

Whatever. It would be nice if they would inform their audience from whence it came. Now YOU know.

Walt Whitman: Pioneers! O Pioneers!

Here is a somewhat extended version of the commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAXpJSvW5mA

Mark my words... I'll bet anything that they are going to steal "Song of the Open Road" next.

AFOOT and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.

woof!

Last edited by woof; 11-18-2009 at 07:27 AM.
11-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Woof! Good to see you.

Yeah, it somewhat annoys me to see that commercialized, but then again, anything that puts poetry on TV can't be all bad in my mind.

I think what really bothers me is when they take really cool songs and reduce them to jingles, often completely ignoring what the songs *mean.* Or rewriting inconvenient lyrics, which is grating.
11-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Very well made-up Soccer-Momish mother is driving her grade-school-aged boy to school, and apparently its his first day in a new school. She's asks him if she should stop a few blocks away so he can walk up, he says no, she asks if there will be any problem with anything, he says, confidently, "shouldn't be." She pulls up, he gets out, struts up the steps between two lines of kids silently watching him, says "S'up" and saunters into school. All the kids stand there looking at... (Camera pans back to Mom's car parked at the curb)
A Hummer. (dramatic music blares)

So, the moral of the commercial is that if you buy a Hummer, your kid is going be be confident and successful and popular, because all the kids will admire the hummer and think that the parents are super cool and powerful and rich.

Kinda disgusted me that 1) they thought that ad would work, and 2) that it might work for a certain segment of the population.

Although I can't stand the hummer I'd respect them more if they shot a commercial of someone driving through hell to get their kid to the hospital.

Having some soccer mom driving her kid to school in one, without even leaving the pavement is just wrong.

11-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #38
Veteran Member

My least favourite ads are the makeup commercials that make up sciencey-sounding words or use french words to make it sound fancy.

Like Nivea "visage"... which translates to "face" or "Regenerist".

There's also an ad for a moisturizer on tv that shows symbols that look like periodic table elements, but then have symbols like "W" (Tungsten!?) and some other elements that I don't think exist.
11-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
My least favourite ads are the makeup commercials that make up sciencey-sounding words or use french words to make it sound fancy.

There's also an ad for a moisturizer on tv that shows symbols that look like periodic table elements, but then have symbols like "W" (Tungsten!?) and some other elements that I don't think exist.
I think the commercials that depict cartoon things flying at/out of/into people are hilarious!

You know a product's good when there's squiggly arrows emanating from the porous flesh-toned flat surface labeled as your skin
11-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote

They do intend to obfuscate by muddying things up with connotations. I doubt actual molecules have been a consideration for advertisers for a ver long time, though. It's how people end up confusing science with opinion and 'opinion' with 'one thing's as good as another.'

I don't exactly buy a lot of high end cosmetics, but if some ass wants to stick a fancy name on some crap... Doesn't bother me that they don't even trouble to learn som French. It really doesn't. It's not like it would take a great deal of effort to out-French me. Most of what I have used of fancy stuff is from my older sister. "What do you do for your skin and hair?" I'd be like 'As little as possible on one, a boar-bristle brush on two. "

She'd be living on five times as much as me, throwing *hundreds* at cosmetics every few months. Being envious. 'What are you doing!!" "Not much. Brushing my hair?"

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-18-2009 at 04:39 PM.