Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
School Picture: UGH!

My daughter brought home her school photos--see below (she's even more orange in the the print) If I'd known you could charge money for crap like this I'd have gone pro long ago. Have these guys ever heard the term "white balance"?! Needless to say I've made it clear this is unacceptable.

Oh and do you like the horns?

Attached Images

11-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Poor white balance, poor composition and poor DOF made a potential great photo a dissapointment to a father of his daughter. I agree with everything you said....... Maybe this photographer should be put through our own Photo Critique before he/she does any more "professional work".........
11-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is horrible. Such a shame - bad photo of a pretty girl...
11-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
This is horrible. Such a shame - bad photo of a pretty girl...
Not to worry--it's not like we're lacking some fairly decent photos :~)

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
11-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Lame "work" by that "photographer"... I wonder if they do weddings too?

I thought I saw vertical pattern noise in her shirt too, 'till I realized that the pattern is in the fabric of her shirt

On the bright side, at least they didn't force the "broken wrist" pose onto your daughter (leaning on a fake prop fence) like so many of my school photos over the years - what a scam those photos are (though for their true purpose - Amber Alerts and such, they'll probably serve).
11-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ditto what everybody else said already......

As if the background weren't ugly enough on its own, we get to see it all over again upside-down reflected in the scummy algae-laden pond. Who the hell thought that would make an attractive background?
11-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It also looks like they blurred her skin heavily
11-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Also she is wearing braces. I just got mine off and that was the first thing I noticed. It looks like one of her bands on her right front tooth is missing...... But your latter photos reveal she has ALL of her bands......

11-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Ditto what everybody else said already......

As if the background weren't ugly enough on its own, we get to see it all over again upside-down reflected in the scummy algae-laden pond. Who the hell thought that would make an attractive background?
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like swamp water. Regardless of the 'horns' the background is really terrible.
11-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Dave,

Yes the photo sucks and they have done some post-processing but it's probably typical of the studio's work. If I were you I would shoot a portrait of her myself in a similar setting (so that it has the same look but is better) and provide it to the yearbook staff as her official portrait. They don't generally like doing this, but most of the time they have to accept your shot if you provide one.

One thing you have to understand is that this is no "single" photographer doing these shots. These things are almost always shot by large studios with extensive staffs. School portraits is one of the most, and at the same time least, competitive genres of professional photography. How do I know? Because I used to do school photography for a studio in Knoxville, TN back in the early 1980s.

It is "most competitive" in that it is very very hard to get into. Why, because a number of large local, regional and even national studios dominate it and schools have exclusive contracts for these portraits. They routinely provide kickbacks to the school systems and also provide "free" services such as shooting various sports games, candids around the school and social events. Sure, these things are also shot by the school newspaper and yearbook staffs, but the school is contractually prohibited from dealing with other professional photographers.

It is "least competitive" for the same reasons. Because. unless you have the resources to bleed money providing freebee shoots and kickbacks and make it up by overcharging for shitty portraits, you don't have a chance of getting the jobs.

One of the reason, these things are normally so shitty is that the photographer has very little if any creative freedom. In order to make things go smoothly and quickly, the lighting is scripted and there is a list of standard poses. There is neither time nor latitude for deviation. The typical school photographer will shoot between 25-50 seniors in a day of shooting with an average time per student of 8-10 minutes. Not much time to pay attention to things like "horns." Shoot middle school or junior high and the time goes down to 4-5 minutes per student and 100 or more kids a day. You don't even want to ask about elementry school. I once shot over 600 kids in one very very long school day. Believe me, I was wishing I was shooting bullets rather than photos by the end of the day.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the shitty photo, just to explain a little about how/why it probably happened...

Mike
11-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the commentary, Mike. Of course, this is an established, local, high-volume outfit. I have pretty low expectations about these things (and no particular investment other than cash money in the photos) but this really fell short and just had to post a rant. I hope they'll be willing to give us a corrected set but I've got better things to do than make a federal case over it. And, Lord knows, there's no shortage of photos of Clara around here--maybe I'll ask the yearbook folks to swap in this one
Attached Images

11-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That takes me back about 10 years. I used to swap out yearbook headshots for people if they asked nicely when I was editor. Most were shot in the cafeteria with a backdrop.

I also got tired of getting team photos with 1/4 of the players in them from the photographer the school brought in so during my senior year I told the school's secretaries not to bother booking a team photo day and shot all the team photos myself on location during the playing season for each sport.
11-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Thanks for the commentary, Mike. Of course, this is an established, local, high-volume outfit. I have pretty low expectations about these things (and no particular investment other than cash money in the photos) but this really fell short and just had to post a rant. I hope they'll be willing to give us a corrected set but I've got better things to do than make a federal case over it. And, Lord knows, there's no shortage of photos of Clara around here--maybe I'll ask the yearbook folks to swap in this one

I agree with everyone else that these are crappy pictures, and I thought she looked familiar for some reason. When you posted her name, I remembered. At least I think I have, as you have posted her pics on photo.net. Correct?
11-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
At least I think I have, as you have posted her pics on photo.net. Correct?
Correct. Like other family members, she sometimes--and sometimes grudgingly-- puts up with my photographic efforts. ;~)
11-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #15
mel
Veteran Member

I don't even bother buying them anymore. I quit when I got some back where one of the head of one my twins was shaved off on one side. It was beyond ridiculous.