Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What was Bill Belichick thinking???????

Did anyone see the Pats, Indy game? I'm speechless. Have you ever seen a decision that bad? Plus the crappy clock and time out management?

That's the kind o couching that can make a team self destruct.

11-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think everyone's still stunned...

Belichick's an a$$hole, so it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

There are some coaches/managers who seem to have the magic touch, and they make questionable decisions that somehow work out - Joe Torre, when he managed the Yankees, comes to mind - but eventually the odds catch up with you.

Last edited by flippedgazelle; 11-15-2009 at 09:59 PM.
11-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Peyton gives phenomenal post-game press conferences.
11-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I had to turn it off. Unbelievable.

11-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

their defence was garbage anyways
11-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

During the post-game interview, Belichick kept saying he thought they could get "a yard". They did. Unfortunately for them, they needed 2.
11-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That was.... what's the word? Oh, Ok, not a safe word to use here :-D It was one of the worst Pats game I've seen in the last 8 years I've been in Boston. Ranks right up there with the loss against the Giants at the Super Bowl, but in terms of a game lost due to terrible decisions, this one tops it.
11-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I'm guessing he thought they may not be able to stop Peyton if he got back on the field. The colts had just pulled of 2 quick drives. Woo hooooo Peyton. I was "concerned" with the running game and the way things was going early on in that game. I turned it to the Wizard of Oz for a while and came back and . . .

11-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Well Tedy Bruschi sums it up well.

QuoteQuote:
Bill Belichick sent a message to his defense. He felt that his chances were better to go for it on his own 28-yard line than to punt it away and make Peyton Manning have to drive the majority of the field to win the game.

I would look at this decision as a lack of confidence in our ability as a defensive unit to come up with a big play to win the game.
New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick dissed his defense - ESPN Boston

This is a decision that can break the confidence of a team. They were on an upward trend and the rest of the season is now going to be a struggle IMO.
11-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It's one of those decisions that if he pulled it off they would be calling him gutsy and a winning coach who knows how to finish off a game. It didn't work out and today he's the bum. I've been watching ESPN Sportscenter this morning and the commentators are kind of sticking up for him more than putting them down. They mention that he calls those kind of plays quite often and usually they work out. I was working and didn't see the game but if I was a Pats fan I probably would thrown something at the TV. I threw a wrench at the radio last week when the Giants blew that game in the last seconds.
11-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Sometimes you gotta take risks, sometimes they don't work out, sometimes they do. If this had worked he would have looked like a genius, unfortunately it didn't. I think a kick would have resulted in a loss anyway.

Kinda like pulling your goalie when you're one goal down and one minute to go, leaving the goalie in will likely result in a loss, so no biggie losing by 2 if you pull him and the opposing team scores.
11-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Am I alone in thinking that after this attempt failed, they simply should have let indy score? It was practically a foregone conclusion giving them the ball on the 30 - maybe not on the first play, but when they got down inside the 15 with a new set of downs and over a minute on the clock - why let them work the last minute down to nothing...Brady could've had a minute to go 40-50 yards for a long kick...not that I care, go vikings!
11-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
Sometimes you gotta take risks, sometimes they don't work out, sometimes they do. If this had worked he would have looked like a genius, unfortunately it didn't. I think a kick would have resulted in a loss anyway.

Kinda like pulling your goalie when you're one goal down and one minute to go, leaving the goalie in will likely result in a loss, so no biggie losing by 2 if you pull him and the opposing team scores.
Yeah but YOU PULL THE GOALIE WHEN THE PUCK IS IN THEIR END!!!!!!!!!!!

I know the sports casters are not trashing him but come on. The man's a highly paid professional and has to know the percentages. Yes the 3 drives before that were fast and resulted in touchdowns but the odds are still better if Indy was on their own 30 than on the Pats 29 yard line and 2 minutes to go.
11-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #14

Certainly a huge blunder by the coach.

Also, why would Brady throw to that receiver? He was not under that much pressure, and had 5 other options...
11-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #15
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote

No!!! They were ahead, they were not behind as in your example... not really the same at all...