Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plagiarized again!

I must have someone local who keeps an eye on my website and this forum because again one of my shots has been reproduced commercially. I have posted it here a long time ago and it is on the website.
I'm not even promoting the website yet as I'm not ready to fully launch, so I'm intriguied by the whole process. Although I did produce a few post cards and a CD which sold quickly, so I guess it could have come from there too.

I am about as certain as it is possible to be, as the angle and elevation required for the shot requires access to our roof (15 levels).....which only I can give.

The shot, a beach scene from an elevated postion has been reproduced on a mouse pad on sale at the local newsagency. I asked who printed the mats but they didn't know....or wouldn't say.

I guess I should be flattered that someone thinks the shot good enough to steal, but am miffed at the reproduction quality which does it no justice.

Bemused.
Grant

11-16-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hunt 'em down and make 'em pay!
11-16-2009, 03:54 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn't sound right Grant.
Could the people who got the CD have distributed the work?
Perhaps ask them what became of your work on the sold CD.

Hope it works out mate.
11-16-2009, 03:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Should you not send them a letter saying that you think that they are selling an image that you own and you need the details of where they got it from so that you know who to bill for your royalties. Or something like that.

11-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #5

If you were a musician and found that someone was selling CDs of your work assembled from tracks downloaded from the internet you'd have a rock solid case. I don't see what the difference is here. The photos are your creative work and belong to you.
11-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the support, appreciate it.
I really dont think there is much I can do, these shots are several years old (taken with the old *ist DS) and when I initially posted them I did not use any watermarking or identification, so it would be hard to prove ownership.
I guess it is also not beyond the realm of possibility that someone else who has had access to the roof (which happens from time to time, tradesmen etc) has not taken some shots.

The lesson is in watermarks and copyright.
11-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
Damn Brit

A simple letter asking for royalties or face legal action should take them off the shelves Grant.

11-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
A simple letter asking for royalties or face legal action should take them off the shelves Grant.
Hi Gary,
Nah, think it would be a lost cause. I dont see how I can prove they are my shots. Me knowing and me proving are two very different things.

Think its called experience.

Hope the family is all well and school going well.

Cheers
Grant