Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What's wrong with some of you people?

Are your political beliefs so important to you that you must act like school children on this, a public forum? The vitriol here is becoming excessive and sickening. I refuse to believe that your daily lives are filled with such nonsense, so why bring it here? Do you hope to change minds? Ain't gonna happen so why even try? I'm just trying to understand the point of all these political jabs. This is not my place, but if it were, there would be more than a few asshat awards given.

Please don't think I'm choosing sides. I'm calling out all the forum political pundunts on both sides of the spectrum. I know, I don't have to read these posts, but they're almost hard to avoid now.

I have the utmost respect for all my fellow Pentaxians here and rightfully so, but, the constant bickering and banter is challenging that belief.

Are you good people for real? Do you act this way when not at the keyboard?

Larry

11-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its the Obamas fault Favre plays for the Vikings...
11-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Are you good people for real? Do you act this way when not at the keyboard?

Larry
To answer that question: Probably not; believe it or not, it's entertaining for some to flame others and them watch them overreact online.

However, this thread is just begging for more flaming to happen. I won't be surprised if we end up closing it sooner than later

I recommend you use the General Talk global ignore feature if you'd like to avoid this section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
graphicgr8s

Do you act this way when not at the keyboard?

Larry
Only when dealing with moronic liberal idiots who want me to give up all I believe in so we can "just get along". If they want to "get along" then why don't they give up their beliefs and agree with me/us?

11-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"moronic liberal idiots" You couldn't have toned that down just a bit?

Larry
11-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAlVKgl_zCQ[/yt]
11-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"moronic liberal idiots" You couldn't have toned that down just a bit?

Larry
That IS toned down for him.

11-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Larry,
I dont think it is about trying to change other peoples minds on anything. I think it has more to do with expressing an opinion.

Of course when you express an opinion be prepared for some one else to disagree. So when someone jumps on here and expresses an opinion about anything that you or I do not agree with....what are we to do?

Sit quietly on the sidelines and allow that opinion to go un challenged? therefore allowing it to become accepted as everyones view on the situation...?

No! Not bloody likely sport....not in my world anyway.

In fact I think people should express their opinions more and not hold back for fear of offending or going against the grain.

That expression does not have to be foul mouthed or rude to make its point and is often quite witty.

Let the debates run, keep it clean and respectful....but let it run, to do otherwise is to deny democracy and freedom of speech.

Grant

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 11-18-2009 at 09:06 PM.
11-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
Banned

I still believe that it would be nice to have a politics only forum in addition to general. I'd like a place on this forum to be able to chat with people about stuff not related to photography without having to weed through the political posts. An all or nothing approach with the ignore prevents this from happening.

I'm a member of another forum that has become the source of many of my closest friends. We meet many times a year to spend time together. I've met all of them in the non-subject area of the forum. Many of them have opposite views from me but they don't get into the conversations, just like the majority of my friends in real life. Think of this place as a dinner with others, how many of the conversations would be like you hear in this forum? I don't see that happening here with the general feel of the general Talk forum.

Just my two irrelivant cents.

In before the lock..
11-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
clean and respectful I have no problem with this. When does it start??

Larry
11-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Larry, I'm kind of fascinated by all of it. I have a neighbor who is an extreme, paranoid left-winger, and twists and ignores the facts just like the extreme right-wingers on this board. The main difference is that my neighbor does not engage in the ad hominem attacks we frequently see here.

As an independent thinker, and moderate on the political spectrum, I find all of this both amusing and occasionally disgusting, as the extreme right has apparently decided to redefine "patriotism" as "think my way, or else!"

The "right" clearly feels persecuted, particularly in the mainstream media, to the point where the "Rush Limbaugh & friends" cottage industry has expanded to the point of eclipsing the much-despised, allegedly left-leaning "media". That in itself is an impressive development.

Anyhoo, the political threads here in GT provide an interesting glimpse into our social/economic/political ecosystem, in smaller - and therefore less mucky - samples than we'd see in a conventional political forum.

All just IMHO, of course.

PS - I should also point out that I've expressed disagreement with graphicgr8s, RML, Das Boot, and other opinionated folks here and have never once been insulted by them. Only once has anyone gotten a bit nasty with me, and that's only because he was (apparently) not in a mood to take my humor...

PPS - It will be very interesting after the 2010 elections, when I'm sure "team blue" will lose some juice. That will be interesting, too.

Last edited by flippedgazelle; 11-18-2009 at 09:04 PM.
11-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

contemplating some popcorn as i hit refresh every couple minutes . . .

I usually don't participate much in these but they can be wildly entertaining.
11-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

I recommend you use the General Talk global ignore feature if you'd like to avoid this section.
I certainly could use this feature Adam, but I'd rather not. I'm not against good political discussion so long as it based on documented facts and not so much hyperbole. I suppose this wouldn't be as entertaining though.

Larry
11-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

clean and respectful I have no problem with this. When does it start??

Larry
Does it ever stray far from that really?
I dont think so. Granted the debate can get pretty strong and excited, but rarely does it become foul & disrespectful.

I acknowledge that my interpretation of clean & respectful may differ to others.
11-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, in the past, some have asked, 'Where did *this* come from.'

Now we can see.

Never said it was pretty.

Of course, according to some, Jesus thinks I'm a commie and otherwise a very, very bad person.

Psst. I don't believe them. This tends to agitate people.

That said, I like Pentax stuff.