Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
graphicgr8s

Florida raised the tax on smokes

And there has been a 27% decline in smokers. So I say to all you non-smokers GET ON THE BALL. Florida is counting on you smoking to fund most of the government.

Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette

11-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
And there has been a 27% decline in smokers. So I say to all you non-smokers GET ON THE BALL. Florida is counting on you smoking to fund most of the government.

Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette
27% decline eh? More likely a 35% increase in the purchase of illegally purchased and untaxed (in your state) out-of-state inventory.
11-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
27% decline eh? More likely a 35% increase in the purchase of illegally purchased and untaxed (in your state) out-of-state inventory.
Yeah I know. And it is true.
11-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Meanwhile you are bitching about the possibility of paying for "other peoples" health insurance.

Surely you jest?

Jason

11-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps you would like to lead the way graphics.
11-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Meanwhile you are bitching about the possibility of paying for "other peoples" health insurance.

Surely you jest?

Jason
Jason, the funds that were confiscated I mean awarded from the manufacturers to the state were suppose to be used to fund healthcare for smokers with lung cancer etc because those smokers were to stupid to understand the warning on every pack of smokes that said it would probably kill you. So they wanted the manufacturers to pay for the smokers own stupidity.

What has really happened to the money though? Well it is funding sCHIP and helping to balance the General fund here in FL.

I am an ex 3 pack a day smoker. Back in school we called them coffin nails. My boss who is in his 70's remembers in his navy days calling them coffin nails.

A little personal responsibility if you please.

Our government would die if everyone quit smoking. What other addiction could they tax? Pot? Cocaine? Beer more than it already is? How long before it's one of your vices and you start bellyaching?
11-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Perhaps you would like to lead the way graphics.
No problem. I will get back up to 3-4 packs a day.

Wait. I am a Conservative and think it's wrong for this tax crap. Ash, you're not even in the US what are you bellyaching about?

No way I'd start up again. And I don't care how much they tax beer. Or soda. Or anything like that except water.

11-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Our government would die if everyone quit smoking. What other addiction could they tax? Pot? Cocaine? Beer more than it already is? How long before it's one of your vices and you start bellyaching?
Disagree there.
If everyone quit, the income loss in tobacco taxes would be gained in health care costs and civil productivity - unless of course the govt gains little from people's illness...
11-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No problem. I will get back up to 3-4 packs a day.

Wait. I am a Conservative and think it's wrong for this tax crap. Ash, you're not even in the US what are you bellyaching about?

No way I'd start up again. And I don't care how much they tax beer. Or soda. Or anything like that except water.
That's the way mate!
It's the same in Oz anyway.
Same issues - same result.
11-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

Disagree there.
If everyone quit, the income loss in tobacco taxes would be gained in health care costs and civil productivity - unless of course the govt gains little from people's illness...
Ash, they count on that tax for way way more than healthcare. They use it to balance the budget.
11-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably not in Australia...

Tobacco kills thousands Australians a year – more than the combined death toll from road accidents, alcohol, illicit drugs, all homicide, HIV, diabetes, skin cancer - and more. Tobacco smoking is the biggest single preventable cause of both cancer and heart disease – our two leading causes of early death; and is linked with the seven diseases causing most deaths.

Tobacco is responsible for more than $31b a year in costs to the Australian community.

Tobacco is responsible each year for:
Around 15,000 deaths, including 36 a year aged under 15.
56% of total drug abuse costs - more than alcohol and all other drugs combined.
Over $15b in workplace costs - twice as much as alcohol and all other drugs combined.
Over 750,000 hospital bed days - around 8% of them occupied by children under 15.
Over $600m hospital costs.

You won't be convincing me any time soon that a smoke-free population is less socioeconomically or politically viable.
11-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Disagree there.
That gain would then be offset by having to pay out more lifetime Social Security benefits due to the presumably longer lifespan.
11-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That gain would then be offset by having to pay out more lifetime Social Security benefits due to the presumably longer lifespan.
interesting extrapolation.

How about if people are more productive, then local industry benefits, more overseas investment and trade results, more longer term employment, more personal wealth also creating more personal investment opportunities, which finally leads to less dependence on social welfare and further increased employment opportunities.

There are many more ways to generate income and decrease expenditure than by investing in cigarette companies.
11-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

How about if people are more productive, then local industry benefits, more overseas investment and trade results, more longer term employment, more personal wealth also creating more personal investment opportunities, which finally leads to less dependence on social welfare and further increased employment opportunities.

There are many more ways to generate income and decrease expenditure than by investing in cigarette companies.
Goodness!!! All of you guys have interesting food for thought..........
11-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Its all an economic gamble, or as the carneys would say: "Ya pays your nickel and ya takes your chances."