Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I know you can do that with the chip inside the black strip, but the second microchips can't be modified to use a different PIN and the PIN information is not stored within the chip....new ATMs are needed and most customers won't start to get them until 2010. Are we talking the same thing? That would suck if that's the case...

We're talking the same. Where I live, some of the new terminals have been installed. And the people I mentioned before where electronics expert who did their experiment to prove the microchip wasn't safer than anything else.

As for the PIN number, once you have a card, and some fake ID, you can go to any branch of your bank, say you forgot your PIN, and they will reissue you a new PIN within minutes.

11-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Please! What was the out come?? (I am sooo pisssed rite now!!!!!............)
Filled out a claim with my bank and they temporarily replaced the funds until they closed the case a couple of weeks later. So, we got our money back and I'm sure the back filed it against their insurance. The second time, they (understandably) wanted a police statement. The charges were in California and we live in Georgia, so it wasn't THAT hard to answer a few questions about whether we had been to California recently and such. The police refused to investigate it because the theft "happened out of state and there's no way to track it". We had to beg to even get them to write up a report. I'm still sore about it, but what can you do?
11-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
I did have my identity stolen along with my bank account information. The perp went to a branch of my bank in another city and tried to make a withdrawal. The clerk became suspicious when she asked for ID and he gave her a driver's license with my info and his picture. The person looked significantly older than the birth date would indicate. While stalling the perp, the clerk called my home and spoke to my daughter and asked if I was out of town. Of course, I wasn't. The authorities were contacted and he is now in jail.

Bottom line is that I got lucky and lost nothing.

I hope you can recover your money.
In our case, the perps used the number to buy $750 worth of stuff at a Toys-R-Us the first time. The second time, they used my wife's NEW card number off her replacement card that she had only had a week or so. We were completely baffled...until a co-worker of hers was arrested -- she worked at an REI and he was stealing stuff and re-selling it (and I think he was from California). The women at that store all kept their purses in the break room for the lack of a secure place to keep them. We think he went in her wallet and got the number while she was working. No proof...no trail.
11-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
We're talking the same. Where I live, some of the new terminals have been installed. And the people I mentioned before where electronics expert who did their experiment to prove the microchip wasn't safer than anything else.

As for the PIN number, once you have a card, and some fake ID, you can go to any branch of your bank, say you forgot your PIN, and they will reissue you a new PIN within minutes.
Our bank here in the US has to mail you your new pin number. Kind of a pain in the butt, but safe.

11-23-2009, 02:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
Our bank here in the US has to mail you your new pin number. Kind of a pain in the butt, but safe.
Good for you. But different banks might have different rules.
12-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #21

Jimbo: You trying to get under the fat ratlady's skin? I know you are...I know you are...careful, the next thing you know you'll be sending her images of tree rats.
12-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tarheel13 Quote
Jimbo: You trying to get under the fat ratlady's skin? I know you are...I know you are...careful, the next thing you know you'll be sending her images of tree rats.
Where did that come from?