Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Has this happened to you?

Someone managed to get a hold of my debit card info and withdrew $1000 over two days this week. Has anyone had this happen?

11-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, but I am very careful with my plastic. It never leaves my sight, is never taken from me at a restaurant for processing at their machine unless I am standing right there, and you would have to kill me to get my PIN numbers, and you still wouldn't get them.
Regards!
11-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Someone managed to get a hold of my debit card info and withdrew $1000 over two days this week. Has anyone had this happen?
Yes...twice...within 2 weeks right around Christmas time 3 or so years ago. Our bank got really suspicious that maybe we were doing it the second time it happened.

We no longer use debit cards EVER! Now we charge EVERYTHING on an REI Visa card and pay it off every month...then at the beginning of the following year we get a nice dividend for gear.
11-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Erf. No. But I haven't had a thousand dollars in the same place in a very long time.

11-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Yes...twice...within 2 weeks right around Christmas time 3 or so years ago. Our bank got really suspicious that maybe we were doing it the second time it happened.

We no longer use debit cards EVER! Now we charge EVERYTHING on an REI Visa card and pay it off every month...then at the beginning of the following year we get a nice dividend for gear.
Please! What was the out come?? (I am sooo pisssed rite now!!!!!............)
11-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I did have my identity stolen along with my bank account information. The perp went to a branch of my bank in another city and tried to make a withdrawal. The clerk became suspicious when she asked for ID and he gave her a driver's license with my info and his picture. The person looked significantly older than the birth date would indicate. While stalling the perp, the clerk called my home and spoke to my daughter and asked if I was out of town. Of course, I wasn't. The authorities were contacted and he is now in jail.

Bottom line is that I got lucky and lost nothing.

I hope you can recover your money.
11-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
I did have my identity stolen along with my bank account information. The perp went to a branch of my bank in another city and tried to make a withdrawal. The clerk became suspicious when she asked for ID and he gave her a driver's license with my info and his picture. The person looked significantly older than the birth date would indicate. While stalling the perp, the clerk called my home and spoke to my daughter and asked if I was out of town. Of course, I wasn't. The authorities were contacted and he is now in jail.

Bottom line is that I got lucky and lost nothing.

I hope you can recover your money.
Goodness! At least yours was better than mine. I see this crap all the freggin time like on bank ads etc. I always say this happens to the other guy...... But now it happened to ME!!!!!!

11-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
Ari
Veteran Member

I was on a plane to Arizona - some kids, with just my NUMBER, not my actual card,bought cartons of cigarettes, a 1000 dollar grill and a few meals (all while I was on a plane - a 5 hour flight!!!!) in 2 states on my debit card. I couldn't even pay for a cab to the hotel. I called the home depot and asked them how they bought a 1000 dollar grill with just a number. He said it was ok with him if two teenagers came in to buy a grill with a handwritten card number. Yikes.......I had my tickets. It took about a week for the bank to sort it out, but I got every penny back.
11-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I wasn't aware of any problem until the bank stopped transactions on my card.
They told me my card had been "compromised" to the tune of several thousand dollars.
The bank assumed the loss and promptly issued me a new card.
I still don't understand how it was "compromised". The bank told me of several ways it could have been.
I got the sense that every person has a spending pattern and when there is a deviation from that pattern something or someone sounds an alert.
I understand the perpetrator was caught.
I have since put a $1000.00 limit on my card. Me spend $1000.00 at one time. Ha!

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 11-20-2009 at 10:06 PM.
11-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
I was on a plane to Arizona - some kids, with just my NUMBER, not my actual card,bought cartons of cigarettes, a 1000 dollar grill and a few meals (all while I was on a plane - a 5 hour flight!!!!) in 2 states on my debit card. I couldn't even pay for a cab to the hotel. I called the home depot and asked them how they bought a 1000 dollar grill with just a number. He said it was ok with him if two teenagers came in to buy a grill with a handwritten card number. Yikes.......I had my tickets. It took about a week for the bank to sort it out, but I got every penny back.
I hope they fired his sorry a$$.
11-21-2009, 05:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Erf. No. But I haven't had a thousand dollars in the same place in a very long time.
Even though you don't have a $1000.00 in your account, if someone clones your card, they just put a piece of paper in an envelope and make a "deposit" in an ATM, and then they withdraw it. And your screwed. Always be very careful with your debit card.
11-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

One of the perks in life!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Ratlady, this is one of those perks in life that you may not have even noticed. While identities are being stolen left and right, it would be a stretch to imagine someone trying to steal your identity. I can just imagine someone trying to cash a check and identifying themselves as the Ratlady.......not likely they would have much success is there? Now I can see them picking old Al, or some of the others but a Ratlady or a Rupert are just not your prime targets.

Regards!
11-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes...when I lived in the States. Unlike in Canada, the debit cards there could be used without a PIN. I seem to remember that the debit system was run by Visa...you could sign and have direct access to the cash in the bank account. Anyways, someone emptied my bank account buying jewelry. Apparently they didn't have my card but just gave the card number and scribbled something that wasn't my signature. Luckily I was back on the west coast visiting family, so it was easy to prove that I was not the one making the purchases and I was covered.
Replacement cards being issued here this year have imbedded chips that the ATM reads....not just the information written to the strip. So far they are "apparently" impossible to clone.
11-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
So far they are "apparently" impossible to clone.
Some people in Canada managed to clone those cards without even seeing the card. They managed to make a portable scanner that was able to retrieve the information on the card while the card was still in your pocket as long as they could get to within a few feet. There goes the safety of the embedded microchip!
11-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Some people in Canada managed to clone those cards without even seeing the card. They managed to make a portable scanner that was able to retrieve the information on the card while the card was still in your pocket as long as they could get to within a few feet. There goes the safety of the embedded microchip!
I know you can do that with the chip inside the black strip, but the second microchips can't be modified to use a different PIN and the PIN information is not stored within the chip....new ATMs are needed and most customers won't start to get them until 2010. Are we talking the same thing? That would suck if that's the case...