Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,451
Interesting op-ed regarding the health care debate

This obviously only pertains to a small part of the massive health care debate ongoing in this country, but I think it's pretty handily illustrative of the kind of obfuscation and useless partisan gamesmanship that's prevalent not only in our congress but also in the media.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/15/opinion/15blumenauer.html?em

11-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,317
Thanks for the link. A good read. Sadly, these hyperbolic lies cross both sides of the aisle. And even more sadly, the press - whose job it has traditionally been to seek truth - are too busy seeking sensational stories that lead to ratings bumps and advertising dollars. To be fair, I loathe the seething Keith Olberman as much as I loathe the seething Bill O'Reilly.

It saddens me to think that the system is truly broken.
11-24-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member
bwield's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 444
Nice

Very good article.

really brings to light, what is essentially, a microcosm of what seems to be going on in the US.
Truth has taken a back seat to perception, and the sensationalism is driving perception.

The scary thing is that by the end of the article I could imagine people proclaiming that it was all BS because it was written by a democrat.
11-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,371
Its like they have all given up, or gotten just plain lazy. It used to be in politics that you put a fair amount of effort into twisting the opposition's words into something that could be interpreted differently from the way he meant them. You then augmented this with the occasional "white lie" or partial truth. Now its like they called a closed door session and came to an agreement on both sides of the isle that said screw it, this "spin" stuff is too much work. We'll just flat out lie about everything, and the side that has the most lies believed by the voters gets their agenda through.


Last edited by Parallax; 11-24-2009 at 08:43 AM.
11-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,451
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Its like they have all given up, or gotten just plain lazy. It used to be in politics that you put a fair amount of effort into twisting the opposition's words into something that could be interpreted differently from the way he meant them. You then augmented this with the occasional "white lie" or partial truth. Now its like they called a closed door session and came to an agreement on both sides of the isle that said screw it, this "spin" stuff is too much work. We'll just flat out lie about everything, and the side that has the most lies believed by the voters gets their agenda through.
Used to be the media didn't (generally) actively help them to flat-out lie, either. What's happened to good ol' fashioned journalistic research and academic thoroughness?

And yeah, this happens on both sides of the aisle. The fact that the article I picked out pinpoints a particular incident on the right side doesn't mean it doesn't occur on the left.
11-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,371
QuoteQuote:
Used to be the media didn't (generally) actively help them to flat-out lie, either. What's happened to good ol' fashioned journalistic research and academic thoroughness?
It went the way of the dodo.

QuoteQuote:
And yeah, this happens on both sides of the aisle. The fact that the article I picked out pinpoints a particular incident on the right side doesn't mean it doesn't occur on the left.
No argument there!
11-25-2009, 07:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
So what's new? If Republicans are moving their lips they are lying, I thought everyone already knew that?
*Just full of WMD's....we gotta go in now....
*Just hiking on the Appalachian trail.......
*I just have a wide stance........
*Obama is not a citizen....
*Obama is a Muslim.......(BTW-Anyone ever think about what the real Muslims would do to a guy that was a professing Christian for 30 years, but "really a Muslim"?) Duh!

You can add your own lies to the list, they are too numerous to store on most hard drives.
Regards!
11-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,371
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
So what's new? If Republicans are moving their lips they are lying, I thought everyone already knew that?...............
Unlike those "Champions of Truth" that are more commonly known as Democrats. Why Democrats Lie

11-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
graphicgr8s
Guest




Well the title of this thread is about Healthcare "debate" Since they are pretty much just ramming this down the American people's throats (when the polls pretty much show we don't want what they are offering) where is the debate part of the equation? They spent 300 million (of our money) to buy Louisiana's vote after all.
11-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,371
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
.....................They spent 300 million (of our money) to buy Louisiana's vote after all.
Well there's your problem! It isn't YOUR money, or OUR money. This is a Democrat administration. Under a Republican administration you give part of YOUR paycheck to the government in taxes. In a Democrat administration, that whole paycheck belongs to the government and the government will graciously and benevolently let you keep part of it.
11-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
graphicgr8s
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Well there's your problem! It isn't YOUR money, or OUR money. This is a Democrat administration. Under a Republican administration you give part of YOUR paycheck to the government in taxes. In a Democrat administration, that whole paycheck belongs to the government and the government will graciously and benevolently let you keep part of it.
Forgot how it works. Sorry.
11-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member
larryinlc's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wisconsin USA
Posts: 993
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Forgot how it works. Sorry.
Yeah, it is funny how it works.

"Louisiana's Republican Governor Bobby Jindal had explicitly asked her to pursue these funds. Sources on Capitol Hill confirm that Jindal had been pressuring Landrieu on the issue for months."
11-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
graphicgr8s
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Yeah, it is funny how it works.
"Louisiana's Republican Governor Bobby Jindal had explicitly asked her to pursue these funds. Sources on Capitol Hill confirm that Jindal had been pressuring Landrieu on the issue for months." [/B]
He should be burned in oil.
11-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #14
Senior Member
Driver3's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 203
Jindal?

One of the rising stars of the Republican party?
11-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
Pentaxian
cardinal43's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,412
QuoteOriginally posted by Driver3 Quote
One of the rising stars of the Republican party?
Watch out for the Jindal/Palin ticket. Or is it the Palin/Jindal ticket?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
care, debate, health, health care
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Let's not forget about health care jeffkrol General Talk 32 11-04-2010 01:41 PM
Another Fiasco With Health Care Artesian General Talk 16 10-10-2010 09:35 AM
Obama's health care law will increase the nation's health care costs Artesian General Talk 187 05-20-2010 10:18 AM
Health Care for Everyone... NOT!!!! Fl_Gulfer General Talk 235 12-17-2009 06:40 AM
How we are going to do this? Health Care Russell-Evans General Talk 196 09-22-2009 06:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top