Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cell phone batteries

Hey, everybody, just wondering if anyone's experienced intermittent 'Unable to charge' messages and other odd behavior when a cell phone battery's about to go on you?

Ours is getting pretty old, and has started displaying fussy behavior that may be a bad connection or some damage (If so, none I noticed: this first happened recharging after a rather long call) What it'll do is say 'Unable to charge, and apparently turn off, ....eventually it seems to start taking a full charge again.

The battery's some years old, but hasn't been showing any terrible symptoms of wearing out, (maybe taking less of a charge than usual, enough to notice, but not so that it caused any inconvenience. I'd say, maybe eighty percent... )

Anyone think this could be symptoms of a battery about to go, or should I presume something's worn out?

11-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

While I don't have a Cell phone, I do have an Mp3 player that is about the age of your cell phone, and it's never given me any trouble while I try to charge it. Sure, the battery's old and doesn't hold nearly as long a charge, but it takes the charge.

If it's not too expensive, why don't you get a replacement battery and see if the behaviour is happening with the new battery?
11-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

RML you're batteries unfortunately are about to bite the dust. If your with Verizon they have the new every 2 program.

VF why spend money on batteries when the phone is so old? She might be better off just going with a different company and getting a new phone. With a 2 year commitment of course.
11-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
RML you're batteries unfortunately are about to bite the dust. If your with Verizon they have the new every 2 program.

VF why spend money on batteries when the phone is so old? She might be better off just going with a different company and getting a new phone. With a 2 year commitment of course.
There's possibilities of replacement, of course: we're out of contract by now and there may be some more appropriate deals down here, but it's our only phone right now, so it's good to have an idea what is up with this. You know I don't like waste, and one thing I get conservative about is machines. I like this one well enough. If this'll still work and be compatible (they always seem to manage to force one to get new phones, anyway) it might even be possible to get hold of an account we can use two lines on.

But it's good to know, thanks, all.

May be asking who's a good service out there, too, if there's opinions.

Also may be a bit scarce depending how the holiday goes: I've been running crazy trying to catch up since the ol' body got better this morning.

So, Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

11-25-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My son's phone does that and the Pantech phone I have battery dies within days of NOT even using the phone. Thank God I have my replacement coming up in a few weeks. I was thinking about getting a replacement phone for my son with the insurance, but if he can hold out till Feb, he's up for replacement also.

Even our home phone cordless battery isn't worth a crap. And to replace it, it was cheaper to buy a whole new cordless phone and that battery still doesn't last as long as they used to.

What happened to when everything used to last a long time? Oh yeah, that was when things were made in AMERICA and not made in China, Taiwan or wherever these greedy CEO's are sending their companies.

Sorry... **steps off of soapbox...** I just wish we didn't have to buy cheap stuff and our money would last longer when buying items.
11-25-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
Inactive Account

My personal experience in SoCal and the east has been Verizon hands down. Some time back I was an ATT customer and it was the worst and the customer service much the same. That was before they merged with one of the now forgotten companies.

Service though is dependant on the area. I am sure Verizon has some soft coverage areas around the country, so that's worth checking out if you don't move around much.

GM's OnStar vehicle communication is done with cell phone links. They were with ATT nationally for a time. They got off that wagon quickly and migrated to Verizon. I am pretty sure they are still there. That is a pretty substantial recommendation to me. My daughter used to rep OnStar through a vendor company.

Failing battery symptoms are shorter and shorter charge hold life. If you are in the habit of battery removal, you may have gotten some shmutz on the contacts.

Verizon has the 2 and renew deal. My Co. paid the $50 or so for my new (basic) one about a year ago. It is still in the box unused after an additional 14 months and the old one is as good as new. The last time the Verizon office switched over my large number memory, they screwed it all up. I am not looking forward to that mess again. Funny too I checked on the cost (Verizon) on a replacement battery and it was much more than a new phone. That's a gotcha I suppose. There might be phone batterys available from a Brand X supplier on the net cheaper just like camera batteries.

Happy T Day and don't call me.
11-25-2009, 08:27 AM   #7
Inactive Account

The battery on my phone was going and a replacement battery from T-Mobile was $29 but by looking on e-bay I found the same Nokia battery for $5 including shipping. At the time, T-Mobile was charging a $19.95 upgrade fee when you got a new phone (even a free one) with your contract renewal. So until my 3.5 year old Nokia gives up the ghost, that $5 battery is working just fine.

11-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

just buy a new battery..

or a new phone, it would be hard to diagnose which is the culprit, haha.
11-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Usually a new battery costs as much if not more than a new phone. You can try cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser then an alcohol swab. Cycling the battery (letting it completely discharge then fully recharge , preferrably on a wall charger) several times may also help.
11-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Usually a new battery costs as much if not more than a new phone. You can try cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser then an alcohol swab. Cycling the battery (letting it completely discharge then fully recharge , preferrably on a wall charger) several times may also help.
Don't know if that works so well with the new batteries.
11-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Not sure but I've been told that it's ok to cycle Li-Po batteries as long as charge is slow. If hers are taking a dump anyhow , what could it hurt?
11-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
I can see if the contacts became dirty easily-enough, I suppose. Gave em a quick wipe when the problem first presented itself, but nothing too careful.

I suppose we'll see what we do. Sweetie is looking at this (new) no-contract company, and they seem to have good enough brand phones you can buy for not too much. The name keeps slipping out of my head, now. We have AT&T: there wasn't much choice during that aforementioned buyout, where we were before, and they actually had the best reception in our particular remote area. Honestly haven't had a complaint about reception, at least with our phone

(One even has an MP3 player on there, which might actually be of interest to me. Helps with the walking motivation, and with cameras on me all the time, there's enough to carry as it is)

I'm hoping to see the end of 'major' gear purchases for my little enterprise, pretty soon, so once that happens I might get my own, possibly using this older phone, or whatever. I really don't like how you can't just get something decent and keep it. Makes me nervous to just share the one, anyway.
11-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
..................... and they actually had the best reception in our particular remote area. .................
Could you point to just where that is on the map?

Just Kidding, RML.
11-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Eh, we only *vacation* on Argrye Planitia.
11-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I haven't had any trouble with AT&T customer service... knock on wood. I had to call them a few weeks ago because my son so nicely clicked on a Psychic service which costs $9.99 a month and I didn't know about it. The service representative took off the charge, added a block on his number and gave me a $25 credit for my pain & suffering for his negligence... he's 15. I thought that was pretty cool and was very happy. I also had to fill out a survey for them, so I guess the $25 credit was to make sure I gave them a good grade on the survey. Either way, I'm happy and they're happy and my kid no longer can talk to a Psychic. LOL