Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

World 1-1

I got a craving for some sweets so i walked over to the BulkBarn across the street and picked up some jellybeans. On the way out i noticed a freezer full of funny looking cans so i took a gander.

I could not resist buying it... and i will consume it after i complete this post.

It contains 1000mg of tourine, 120mg of caffine, 50mg of inositol, and 25mg each of guarana and panax ginseng exctract....

it also has the official "nintendo seal" on it, which some of you may remember was once a pretty big ****ing thing..

It also occurred to me that aside form the bizarre fact that this little plumber consumes mushrooms to double his size... he consumes what are probably one of the most poisonous mushrooms out there...

anyway, maybe i'll grow twice in size, and become a millionaire after getting into the guiness book.

bottoms 1UP!

11-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

It's your funeral after all. How can you drink that crap?
11-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
It's your funeral after all. How can you drink that crap?
I dont usually, "energy boosting" drinks, including coffee, have never had any positive effects on me so i avoid them... but this mario thing i just could not pass up

I am healthy enough to afford the occasional bad thing for my body.
11-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Just what we needed - an energy drink targeted at small children!

Chris
actually it clearly states on the bottom of the can (hard to see in the photo though) that product not intended for children

and quite honestly anyone that remembers the original mario as he is depicted here is no longer a child

11-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Inactive Account

'It contains 1000mg of tourine, 120mg of caffine, 50mg of inositol, and 25mg each of guarana and panax ginseng exctract....'

I like mine with 5% DU, 8% DDT and 20% grain spirits. Sounds delish.......and soooo good for you too. No nicotine or biodiesel? Bummer.
11-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'm sure the "Joe Camel" cartoon advertisements had some similar disclaimer.

Chris
Listen, if your beef is with unethical marketing and advertising practices, feel free to start a thread on that topic.

The picture on the can brought back memories that "kids" nowadays dont even have.. but thanks for crapping in on my chance childhood reminiscence, Chris.

11-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to live with some radical Vegans. Didn't have the heart to tell them where the Taurine in the energy drinks they were addicted to comes from.

11-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I used to live with some radical Vegans. Didn't have the heart to tell them where the Taurine in the energy drinks they were addicted to comes from.
What a load of bull.
11-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
Listen, if your beef is with unethical marketing and advertising practices, feel free to start a thread on that topic.
The picture on the can brought back memories that "kids" nowadays dont even have.. but thanks for crapping in on my chance childhood reminiscence, Chris.
You're a liar. Everyone on the forum and in 4.7 continents knows you were never a child.
12-01-2009, 02:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not really much different than "Red Bull" which is consumed in copious amounts by all ages.

A double espresso will give more of a kick.
12-01-2009, 03:46 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Not really much different than "Red Bull" which is consumed in copious amounts by all ages.

A double espresso will give more of a kick.
Nope. Espresso has less caffeine in it than most other forms of coffee, as it is brewed for such a short period of time - the optimal extraction time is 22-28 seconds. Caffeine is one of the hardest alkaloids to extracted from coffee.

A shot of espresso contains only about 40-60mg of caffeine, depending on blend and extraction time (traditional Italian blends with robusta beans will more caffeine,) compared to about 180mg from drip filter or instant.

Incidentally, 180mg is the amount found in most energy drinks. Along with a shedload of sugar.

About the only kick that comes from espresso is its bitterness if you drink it neat; since nearly every bastard is hellbent on adulterating it with syrup, soymilk and god-knows-what, even that's ameliorated.
12-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Nope. Espresso has less caffeine in it than most other forms of coffee, as it is brewed for such a short period of time - the optimal extraction time is 22-28 seconds. Caffeine is one of the hardest alkaloids to extracted from coffee.

A shot of espresso contains only about 40-60mg of caffeine, depending on blend and extraction time (traditional Italian blends with robusta beans will more caffeine,) compared to about 180mg from drip filter or instant.

Incidentally, 180mg is the amount found in most energy drinks. Along with a shedload of sugar.

About the only kick that comes from espresso is its bitterness if you drink it neat; since nearly every bastard is hellbent on adulterating it with syrup, soymilk and god-knows-what, even that's ameliorated.
I think it has more to do with the roasting. Longer roasting times deplete the caffeine.
12-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I think it has more to do with the roasting. Longer roasting times deplete the caffeine.
Yes, you are right. Most of the dark roasted coffee has a very strong flavor and people assume that there is much more caffeine which isn't true. The darker the roast, the less caffeine because the roasting process removes more of it. People tend to put a little more sugar or add flavors to some of these gourmet coffees and the kick is probably sugar buzz, not caffeine.
12-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #14
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Yes, you are right. Most of the dark roasted coffee has a very strong flavor and people assume that there is much more caffeine which isn't true. The darker the roast, the less caffeine because the roasting process removes more of it. People tend to put a little more sugar or add flavors to some of these gourmet coffees and the kick is probably sugar buzz, not caffeine.
I like my espresso the Italian way.
12-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Straight, no sugar?

Same here. Only if it's good espresso. In Brisbane, my motto's "Merlo in the morning and Di Bella's at night." Merlo's a bit lighter, great for the mornings, and Di Bella's got that old, patina'd bronzed darkness about it, with the robusta.

Espresso's pretty much all you'll get down here. Unfortunately, it's very, very easy to stuff up, which is why I wish more places did drip filter.