Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Soccer World Cup Draw

Any soccer fans out there in the world of Pentax Forums? C'mon, you're out there.

Anyways, tomorrow/today (Friday, 12/5) at 11 a.m. on ESPN in the U.S., the 2010 Soccer World Cup draw will take place to determine in which 8 groups the 32 teams from around the world fall into. Which will be the group of death?

With our global PF membership, I am curious to see who folks are rooting for. And what you all think about the World Cup?

12-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i cheer for good matches... and arsenal players
and my favorite player is thierry henry
12-04-2009, 01:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I am a huge football fan and will be watching the draw later today. Of course, I pull for USA, Greece and Australia. (Underdogs, I know!)

Jason
12-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Forum Member

I LOVE the time of year for the world cup!! I'm a huge fan of the EPL, and giving a shout out to Liverpool! Anyways I grew up in Zambia, so I always pull for the African teams... even though I hate Drogba, it's country over club when it's world cup time. I then default to the England squad. Some of the individual games I then pull for underdogs or against a team with a player I don't like.
I have no idea what my feelings will be for Le Bleu now, b/c of Henry.... I've always liked Henry but...
anyways CANNOT WAIT for world cup!!

12-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You like Henry, that handballer? Well, I hope that those cheaters will repeat their performance in South Korea in 2002.

Go SPAIN!
12-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

cheating has been part of the game for a while now. doesn't make it right, but there are many other blatant examples of cheating, henry's was the most obvious

e.g. messi had a very obvious handball goal a few years ago and you don't hear anyone talk about it now
12-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
cheating has been part of the game for a while now. doesn't make it right, but there are many other blatant examples of cheating, henry's was the most obvious

e.g. messi had a very obvious handball goal a few years ago and you don't hear anyone talk about it now
One mustn't forget Maradonna's 'hand of god'.

12-05-2009, 01:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My opinion...
Henry was playing the game as he should...and things get fast and intense around the goal. Sure the ball hit his hand, but I cant say for certain, that he actually TRIED to hand ball..I mean, 95% of the time, he would surely be called for it and possibly yellow carded, not a smart decision had he actually purposely done it. Instead, the ball hit his hand and he played on, like you are taught and like instincts dictate. If the ref missed the call, blame the refs.
Back to the draw and tournament...
USA got a decent draw I think. I was little humored by the British press going goo-goo gah gah about their draw (same group as USA) as an "easy group" and "best scenario". I know the USA has very little chance of winning out, much less advancing past the groups stages, but England hasn't been on form for the past several years and getting a big head about their "easy" draw may come back and prove them wrong.
Australia's group...in with Germany, Serbia and Ghana. Tough competition in Germany and Serbia, but let's hope the "Socceroos" play well.
Greece...in with Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea. Not bad, but they'll need a 2004 Euro Cup like miracle just to get past Argentina.
All in all, I think the draws fell evenly and the big names were scattered well...except for Group G. You have arguably the 3 best teams in their respectrive continents vying against each other in Brasil, Portugal and Ivory Coast. (sorry, N. Korea, you are chum in this group).
I can't wait!
Jason
12-05-2009, 03:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey don't forget the hosting nations Bafana Bafana (what a joke)- they will need a miracle just to beat Mexico;-)