Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Stanely Kubrick blew me away

I just watched the Shining for the first time. I have to say, it blew me away. Of the many things that blew me away in this movie was the photography. It's so vivid!

So here's what I really wanted to ask you all,

Has anybody else noticed how unsettling the symmetry in some of the key scenes in this movie? Specifically the scene where Jack's wife reads "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" on all those pages?

12-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #2

Yes sir, you are right. Most all of Kubrick films are visual masterpieces. i won't even mention...Spartacus, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange...and my favorite Full metal Jacket.
12-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ramair455 Quote
Yes sir, you are right. Most all of Kubrick films are visual masterpieces. i won't even mention...Spartacus, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange...and my favorite Full metal Jacket.
Everyone forgets Barry Lyndon which is the most technically superb photography wise (IMO of course)
of all his movies. Paths of Glory (one of his earliest) is also worth a look because he was exhibiting techniques
that you will see in his later movies mentioned in the previous posts.

I'm moving this to General Talk as although it's a discussion on technique, it's cinematographic technique.

Kubrick had an obsession with cameras and lenses, he used three 50mm Zeiss lenses with a .70 aperture
in order to film the interiors in Barry Lyndon by candlelight only. The advantage of this was that the flat DOF
caused the interior scenes to look very much like old master paintings from the period in which the film was set.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 12-04-2009 at 09:00 PM.
12-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Fun Fact: In his film, Barry Lyndon, Kubrick used a 50mm f/0.7 lens designed by Zeiss for NASA to capture a scene light only by candle light.

Barry Lyndon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Fun Fact: In his film, Barry Lyndon, Kubrick used a 50mm f/0.7 lens designed by Zeiss for NASA to capture a scene light only by candle light.

Barry Lyndon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You snooze, you lose, see my post above.
12-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I had my message posted before you...when I hit "post" it screwed up because a mod moved the thread and I had to retype the whole thing. In the meantime, you posted a short message about how people forget about Barry Lyndon and that you thought it was the best photographically. Then you edited yours and added the info about the lens.
12-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jadedrakerider Quote
I just watched the Shining for the first time. I have to say, it blew me away. Of the many things that blew me away in this movie was the photography. It's so vivid!

So here's what I really wanted to ask you all,

Has anybody else noticed how unsettling the symmetry in some of the key scenes in this movie? Specifically the scene where Jack's wife reads "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" on all those pages?
There is no scene in that film that is wasted. Every time I see it I find something else I love. Lately I've been liking the scenes in the ballroom, where he's talking to Grady, the former caretaker. Chilling. The whole movie has a coldness that descends as the snow outside continues to fall.... Wonderful movie.

12-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramair455 Quote
2001: A Space Oddessy was my first Kubrick movie, and I was completely unprepared for it. It was years before I took my first hit off a jay, and I still have yet to drop acid or any other hallucinogen. Maybe under the influence is the state that film was meant to be watched? I read the book after that and the narrative made more sense, but I still wish I could appreciate the film.

A Clockwork Orange is one of my favorite flicks of all time. The photography, the music (especially that quasi-futuristic vibraphone/midi sound), and narrative are all top notch. Except for the missing chapter, that is one of the few movies I consider to be faithful to the book.

But the visual nature of those two films astonish me.

Edit:
I found this self portrait on Wikipedia that was too great to be ignored:

Last edited by jadedrakerider; 12-04-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Adding a photo
12-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I had mine message posted before you...when I hit "post" it screwed up because a mod moved the thread and I had to retype the whole thing. In the meantime, you posted a short message about how people forget about Barry Lyndon and that you thought it was the best photographically. Then you edited yours and added the info about the lens.

I still beat you but you did add the NASA reference so it's all good.

I hope you don't think I moved the thread to slow you down.
12-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
*AHEM!*

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/63253-just-saw-kubricks-barr...ghlight=lyndon

12-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #11
Damn Brit

I didn't say anything about being original and was referring to this thread only.

I wasn't plagiarising you either, I'm a big fan (of his not yours) and did know that information independently. I get quite annoyed that 'Lyndon' and 'Paths' rarely get a mention when discussing Kubrik. It's lucky you and I are around.
12-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Dr. Strangelove....one of the funniest films ever made. Peter Sellers was brilliant and his timing and line delivery in this film are genius.

Jason
12-05-2009, 05:03 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Thanks for the movie selection recommendations. I have only seen 2001 and Dr Strangelove and enjoyed them for sure.

On a side bar one that really stands out in my mind is Terry Gilliam's Brazil
(1985?) an altered reality. I was able to aquire the two differant edit releases on DVD. I think Gilliam is really from a far away planet. The Ministry of Information is watching you. Catch it if you have a chance.

Brazil Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

Back to Kubrick
12-05-2009, 05:34 AM   #14
Voe
Veteran Member

Stanley Kubrick is really good. There are even some documentaries that he did the fake photos of the whole moon landing in the 60's and he left clues in the photographs.
12-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I love Kubrick's films. Then again, I really need to see 2001, which I will remedy soon. Perhaps with a boxset of his movies.

I actually dressed up as Major Kong (you know, the guy who rides the bomb at the end of Dr. Strangelove) for Halloween one year. Pity only 1 person got the reference.