Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My line is drawn with Canikon -- I am saddened

QuoteQuote:
There is nothing wrong with Canikon, but the very idea to associate with elitism have me drawn the line of Photography as an expression of art to Elitism of one's showing of fortune and symbolic icon and brand of success. If you watch this video, you know why I say what I say today with frustration, lol kind of thoughts in revenge, and plot to draw line deeper and clearer and ask my true Canikon friends not to think and believe in what that youtube video represents

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_H8TOKcfjg[/YT]

Nikon Girl in YouTube -- a bash of our true love, isn't it. I don't condone on what is represented in the video but yet I ask readers to be open minded and not take revenge with hate. Perhaps, we can have a movie with pictures that represent what Pentax is about. Not to solicit hate from Canikon but to show the world what we stand for as shown with humanity, love, kindness, humor and wit in our own unique reasons to choose Pentax

Warmest congratulations but saddest to share what I saw on the Canikon video and the comments that Canon and Nikon users commented on the thread.
I shared this very disturbing youtbue clip with my photo.net buddies in this thread

Am I over-reacting? You tell me. I am proud to use Pentax and not what is represented in the video -- the elite top brands.

I need help to gather strength in how to draw the line with Canikon, especially those who made the movie and those who endorse the idea (the last sentence) in the movie.

Warmest,
Hin[YT][/YT]

Last edited by hinman; 12-06-2009 at 09:48 AM.
12-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*wagging the F-1N that lives alongside my Pentax.*

I remember when Canonians were the poor cousins out here, Nikons were the status symbols, and Pentaxes were for those too eccentric to care.

Mind you, someone'd come along with an LX and you'd be like, 'That's clutch, love the 6x7, but if I could afford it...'

Also, am I going to actually have to watch this clip or something? I'm expecting cheeseball with a strong aftertaste of obnoxious.
12-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hinman,
I wouldn't give it another thought, these are just immature youths that haven't grown up yet. Teenagers are often obsessed with comformity, as adults, most, but not all grow up and take a broader view of life.

I'm sure the vast majority of Canon and Nikon owners are more mature than this. A very good friend of mine owns a Canon SLR and we shoot amateur play productions together for publicity purposes. We compare images, not cameras. Some days i'll have the most keepers, and some days its him, we enjoy the art rather than the brand.

Have a better tomorrow :-)
12-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I shared this very disturbing youtbue clip with my photo.net buddies in this thread

Am I over-reacting? You tell me. I am proud to use Pentax and not what is represented in the video -- the elite top brands.

I need help to gather strength in how to draw the line with Canikon, especially those who made the movie and who endorse the idea (the last sentence) in the movie.

Warmest,
Hin[YT][/YT]
Stupid video clip, not badly done. It will recruit just as many to the Pentax brand as it will put people off.

12-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

seriously, should we really care?

Whatever allows us to get the picture is all we should really care about, whether it be Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Fuji, Olympus, Sony, Minolta, Holga or a tissue box with a hole in it.

I too am disturbed, Hinman. But I take refuge in the fact that brands don't dictate good photography, people do.

QuoteQuote:
I wouldn't give it another thought, these are just immature youths that haven't grown up yet. Teenagers are often obsessed with comformity, as adults, most, but not all grow up and take a broader view of life.
Agreed. Although they must be youths with a ton of money. Those high end Canons/Nikons aren't cheap.
12-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hin, I actually think the guy who made the video was making fun of brand wars in general, it's pretty tongue-in-cheek.

Also I suspect that Pentax was chosen as the 'third brand' to diss just by random draw, or because 'Pentax' sounded better in the beat tham 'Olympus', and was more recognizable as a camera brand than 'Sony', not because of any real bias towards Pentax - the guy just needed a 3rd brand at the end to add a funny twist.

I wouldn't take the video seriously at all.
12-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Hin,

Hey, thanks for the link to the clip. I have to tell you that my reaction to the flick was that it was very, very funny. To me it was more of stereo-typing and mocking of Canon and NIkon gearheads. I almost thought they were going to solve their problem by switching to Pentax. LOL

As a long time Pentax photographer I don't take umbrage with this clip's message. It was well done and funny. And let's face it... at leasts NIkon makes a great system.

Best wishes,

Stephen

12-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I thought it is a funny video that don't make sense. I call it a "Bonehead Video"
12-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
I thought it is a funny video that don't make sense. I call it a "Bonehead Video"
fully agree with this..
12-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Yeah, that was more funny than offensive. The lyrics were good, the video was clean, and the way that last verse was flowing in the song, it made sense to say Pentax. The stress of the consonants alone were perfect.... Pentax sounded better than Sony or Oly or Fuji. Was it a big diss? Yes. Was it funny? Yes. Does my K200D take kick-butt pictures that my friend w/ his Nikon D200 just can't duplicate. Yep! People and their creative minds take use the viewfinder to show what they see. I could use a large format and do the same, just a different process.
12-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
Not Registered

Hin,

For the merits of your post, you have been awarded with the official 2009-2010 Pentax-Hero pat in the shoulder. I havent designed the commemorative pin yet. I am having problems giving it the capability to wash the Canikon logo from Cameras and lenses beyond 2 feet.
12-06-2009, 12:26 AM   #12

thought the vid was pretty funny
joey L (the creator of the vid) is a pretty legit photographer too
12-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I agree with the interpretation that they are making fun of brand wars as well, not that nikon and canon are fighting for no reason because every other brand sucks.

p.s. I thought it was some wannabe but was quite impressed by his "real" work. If you check out his tutorial clips, he mentions being a photographer is about creativity, not equipment.
12-06-2009, 02:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great video, funny not offensive

I have a joey L photograph tattoed on my ribs
12-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just goes to show "Shorter is better..."

Keep in mind, the attention span of the target audience (15-24yo) is about 30 seconds (or less). Given the image, lyric and tune repetition, unless specifically instructed to watch it to the end, its 3:50 length makes it doubtful a viewer would stick with it to the punch line. Plus, the shift in focus created by the chaotic credit line at the end deflates its punch.

On the plus side, it's a good demonstration of why videos lasting much longer than 2:30-3:00 minutes tend to lose their audience.

my 0.02 cent$...