Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

The job stimulus is working .....well...

...at $246,436 cost per job. Many of them are tempoary positions of course. Read it and weep.

Reuters.com

12-08-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OK, I'm waiting for the first person to say - "...providing someone with a job is a good thing, no matter how much it costs..."
12-08-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
OK, I'm waiting for the first person to say - "...providing someone with a job is a good thing, no matter how much it costs..."
Providing someone with a job is a good thing, no matter how much it costs!!
12-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Providing someone with a job is a good thing, no matter how much it costs!!
All well and good, but just providing them with $246,436 would be much nicer.

Graft and corruption: $246,436 per person.

Free speech so we can mock them for doing it: Priceless.

12-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
All well and good, but just providing them with $246,436 would be much nicer.

Graft and corruption: $246,436 per person.

Free speech so we can mock them for doing it: Priceless.
I could sure do a lot with that kind of bankroll.

Well unemployment is down. Could be because there just aren't that many jobs left to lose. But does anyone realize what the "true" unemployment rate is? After factoring in underemployed and those who have just given up? I thought the Obama said if we didn't pass the last crapulus bill it would go past 8%. Well we passed the bill and it still is over 8%. We could have 10-11% unemployment and could have saved billions of dollars at the same time. Or they could have given it to me. At least then it wouldn't have been wasted.
12-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
$250K per job is amazing. They could have hired 8 or 10 illegals for that amount.

I hope the gov't kissed someone here for the favor.
12-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
...at $246,436 cost per job. Many of them are tempoary positions of course. Read it and weep.

Reuters.com
Thanks to the Big "O" I have one of these, but mine is permanent.

12-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
$250K per job is amazing. They could have hired 8 or 10 illegals for that amount.

I hope the gov't kissed someone here for the favor.
So you're saying your entire family could have jobs now?
12-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
'So you're saying your entire family could have jobs now? '

Only if they defected to Tijuana and snuck back in and dropped english language skills and carried in bales of medicinal dope. Fortunatly all mine are fully and gainfuly employed in legal occupations without defecting to Mexico.

I'm glad someone here got an Obama kiss.

'Well unemployment is down.'
I believe it is down to 10% from 10.2%. I recall the 'ratz hollering at the Bush Man when it was 5.8%, 5% being concidered full employment.

We have TARP monies coming back home fortunatly. Lets see if Big O can run that job cost up to $500k per head.

Enjoy the ride, you will be paying for it.
12-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
Damn Brit

A rise in temporary jobs has in the past been a good indicator of the economic situation improving. It's likely that many of these jobs will become permanent if things do improve but in the meantime, businesses aren't going to risk taking on permanent employees when temps are the safer and cheaper option.
12-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
A rise in temporary jobs has in the past been a good indicator of the economic situation improving. It's likely that many of these jobs will become permanent if things do improve but in the meantime, businesses aren't going to risk taking on permanent employees when temps are the safer and cheaper option.
I don't think there's any traditional companies that are actually hiring anyone for Obama jobs, anyhow. At least here in Colorado, all we have seen is very few road projects. There is no chance whatsoever that those jobs will become permanent because once the work is done, it's done. Even the wind turbine manufacturer in northern Colorado that was supposed to benefit from TARP is putting about two hundred people on furlough. If a "green job" can't be saved, what jobs are being "created or saved?"
12-09-2009, 06:47 AM   #12
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
I don't think there's any traditional companies that are actually hiring anyone for Obama jobs, anyhow. At least here in Colorado, all we have seen is very few road projects. There is no chance whatsoever that those jobs will become permanent because once the work is done, it's done. Even the wind turbine manufacturer in northern Colorado that was supposed to benefit from TARP is putting about two hundred people on furlough. If a "green job" can't be saved, what jobs are being "created or saved?"
Well I personally save 1.778334 million jobs today.
12-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
Well, perhaps part of the problem there is in fat that several major wind turbine projects have been scuttled or delayed thanks to political opposition from... guess what types.

But, the bulk of the job creation from the stimulus isn't even *due* to start manifesting till February or April, last I heard a couple of months ago or so.

Funny that *now* they start talking about the 'true' unemployment rate, after Bush reduced his 'official' unemployment rate' by ...not counting as many people as unemployed.

The cost of some of the projects about our neglected infrastructure, (a lot of which proved to be less 'shovel-ready' than at first predicted) ...doesn't all go directly to paying workers, especially when a lot of the work hasn't actually begun.

Wall Street's doing OK, which I suppose is better than being in a state of collapse, but the corporations aren't exactly falling all over themselves to start hiring again, either. Last I heard, we're not actually due to see much direct job creation till February and April of next year, as things get underway.

Heck, the bailout is proving less expensive than anticipated, by two hundred billion, (*That* money could now go to supporting small business and regular folks,) and a fair bit more is actually already coming back: you can chalk it up, perhaps, to that they'd rather get the government out of their management loop than take the money and hire people to do work, but on the other hand, no one really wanted to give these companies a lot of money just to stop the freefall we were facing in the first place.

Oh, and a major 'Green Jobs' initiative is still a great idea: it just hasn't happened yet with all the stonewalling against health care. If we can at least start seeing some (Well, some more) efficiency subsidies, that'll help the home industries while cutting our national energy bill. Putting in insulation and the like is one set of jobs they can't readily outsource, and it involves a lot of manufacturing, as well. There's one company that makes some very cost-effective PV sheeting, Germany's got all they can make on order for a couple of years to come, still: this is the kind of thing that America could be making right here and exporting.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-09-2009 at 08:58 AM.
12-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hillary's 2008 pollster Mark Penn Gets $6 million to save 3 PR jobs.

TheHill.com

That same amount could have saved 100 middle class jobs.
12-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Guys, you just must read job reports carefully.
Your goverment reduced workforce by more then 1.39 million in last three months and about 290 thousands in last month alone. This in primary reason why you see 10% formal numbers. Temporary jobs are btw very low quality, and healthcare is now primary driver of so called "recovery".